onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ben Williamson

gavcradd

Thought it was worth a thread to highlight Ben Williamson's contribution so far (and particularly the last few games). For me, he's really coming on and now seems to be adding goals to his game - 6 goals so far, at this rate he won't be far off 20 for the season if he keeps it up. He's always had the pace and work ethic, we used to complain that he didn't score enough but maybe he's got that in his locker now as well?

Just seen the goal again on BBC and it was a cracker, lovely skill to make the room and nice strike. Perhaps with Pope out he might step up to the plate and become the main man?

It highlighted it to me on Tuesday night, my dad lives in Tenerife for a lot of the year but was back and came with me against Scunny. He was raving about "the quick lad up front with Pope, have we got him permanently or is he on loan from a Premier League club?"

Thanks Ben!

Advert

He was raving about him against scunny? He was dire. Great goal yesterday I agree but do we need a thread every time he finally has a good game? He's the most frustrating player at the club, going by yesterday you'd think we've got a very good striker yet some of his performances are very poor and league 2 standard. He's going to get a run in the side I think and I hope he can finally take his chance as he did yesterday superbly, I'm not convinced though. One good game dosent change a poor season IMO.

I like Ben. He gets some things right and some things wrong, but he's honest and his attitude is spot on.

He kept on trying to do the right thing yesterday even when it wasn't coming off, look at the cut back across the six yard box or the angled headed knock down for Birchall to slice wide.

In the end he got his goal with a very tidy turn and finish, and even very late in the game he was chasing lost causes down by the corner flag.

Contrast his attitude to Jordan Slew's.

Not good enough for league one I'm afraid (IMO) Happy to be proven wrong but he is consistently poor and I've yet to see anything in him which makes me think he will be a prolific goal scorer. I don't think he works hard enough and, usually, his finishing is woeful!

He was raving about him against scunny? He was dire. Great goal yesterday I agree but do we need a thread every time he finally has a good game? He's the most frustrating player at the club, going by yesterday you'd think we've got a very good striker yet some of his performances are very poor and league 2 standard. He's going to get a run in the side I think and I hope he can finally take his chance as he did yesterday superbly, I'm not convinced though. One good game dosent change a poor season IMO.

He is a frustrating player because yesterday you saw what his game is about he worked really hard ran his socks off all day he did not give there defence a minutes piece.He also scored a very good goal the reason why he played well is because the vale decided to play the match with the ball on the floor instead of lumping the ball up to popes head all the time and hoping it drops down to another forward .

Scored a great goal, looked decent second half yesterday and looked a player. I'm glad it happened because it reminded me that he still plays for us because I can't remember his contribution in the past few weeks.

I can't help but think that these moments will forever be occasional one-offs.

He's scored some great goals for us - including yesterday's excellent, well taken effort - but, like several others, can be inconsistent and disappear from games.

The Club rave about him in training and he's got a lot of the attributes that forwards need - pace, strength and he can finish well at times. He's got a head like a fifty pence piece but I know that isn't his main strength. It's running the channels, collecting through balls and shooting at goal, like he did yesterday. hamilboy is right - when the ball is on the floor he looks much better.

It's all about consistency from him but I've said that for quite a while now. He also seems to lack a little bit of physical strength and gets dispossessed too easily. That frustrates me.

But there is no doubting his natural ability and what a goal he scored yesterday - superb.

Even though he's been here for a while I think the jury is still out on him.

I like Ben. He's obviously a confidence player and needs a run of games but when he's given them he gets a few goals (3 in 4 in March last season before he got injured).

He's never going to get 20+ goals a season but if he can get into double figures and do the running that he does then I think he's a player worth keeping hold of, alongside a more prolific striker.

He's scored some great goals for us - including yesterday's excellent, well taken effort - but, like several others, can be inconsistent and disappear from games.

The Club rave about him in training and he's got a lot of the attributes that forwards need - pace, strength and he can finish well at times. He's got a head like a fifty pence piece but I know that isn't his main strength. It's running the channels, collecting through balls and shooting at goal, like he did yesterday. hamilboy is right - when the ball is on the floor he looks much better.

It's all about consistency from him but I've said that for quite a while now. He also seems to lack a little bit of physical strength and gets dispossessed too easily. That frustrates me.

But there is no doubting his natural ability and what a goal he scored yesterday - superb.

Even though he's been here for a while I think the jury is still out on him.

He's the Rob Taylor equivalent of a striker. Has all the attributes to be a frightening player, but not the footballing brain.

How many has taylor scored for mansfield this season they will be lucky to get a season of playing out of him.

Don't know, but you totally miss my point. I didn't say taylor was a forward or was a better player. I said taylor didn't have a footballing brain. Somehow you read that as me saying that taylor was better than williamson.

Ben Williamson drives me barmy, he can swing from looking like a pub player to a Golden Boot award contender and back again all in one game! He was woeful in the first half yesterday but scored a top drawer goal out of the blue and then played quite well (confidence?). If he could perform well consistently he'd be brilliant but he doesn't and, I suspect, never will which is why he's in L1.

Archived