onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ryan McGivern call-up

LancyTony

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
From what I've seen he's been one of our better players but I would reserve 'best' for Marshall.

He's a cracking player. Don't know why people have a go at him. My mrs's daughter who knows nothing about Vale palyersl says, "Is he the one who wins all the headers."

For me, McGivern is a sweeper (like Duffy) and not the centre half who wins the first header and puts himself about physically. It's interesting that he can apparently play left back as well which tells you that he isn't an old fashioned traditional stopper/ball winner.

He and Duffy are too lightweight as a pair. He reads the game well and has been ok but no more than that. We've conceded lots of goals this season and he's been culpable several times. But so have all the other defenders. His mistake against BC was because he was out-muscled by a stronger player and that's why Page is looking at the likes of Zubar and Streete, I'm sure.

McGivern may well look better alongside a dominant centre half.

His mistake against BC was because he was out-muscled by a stronger player

No it wasn't. :laugh: He misjudged the initial bounce, and then had a second bite of the cherry, and didn't put enough power on his header, thus letting in Aaron Wilbraham to round Neal and tuck it into the top corner from a tight angle.

Can't see him walking straight back in after yesterday's much improved defensive display.

Agreed. Page will want to keep a settled team after that display, whether we fans want him to change or not. Interestingly it may also mean Streete again being on the bench and who is going to be first to complain about that? Newcastle most certainly will feel let down by us taking him for a month and then not playing him! Odd situation brought about by all the defence having an excellent performance. Yates had his best games for yonks so there is still fight left in him whilst Page and Norm deliberate as to which is the best combination. Happy problem to have after all the doom and gloom lately.

Whilst liking Duffy and McGivern individually the pairing doesn't appear to work. I felt Zubar brings a bit of presence to the team. He is one of those players I'm sure defenders won't enjoy playing against. He was breathing down the necks of the forward line yesterday something our current defenders don't do. A promising home debut I thought.

Archived