onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

World Cup squads...

Advert

One I forgot is Gareth Barry. I would have had him in my 23 think he's been much better than the likes of lampard, Wilshire, cleverly and Carrick and offers us a defensive minded midfielder that I think we need. Especially in games against the likes of Italy, would have had him and Gerard in defensive midfield roles myself. Also I know it's out of the question but terry should be there, best English centre half shame he has retired from international. First game I think I would go with.

Hart

Johnson jagielka Cahill Baines

Gerrard Henderson

Sterling Rooney Lallana

Sturridge

Think that looks decent enough. Be tempted get chamberlain on early with the promise he showed towards the end of the season for arsenal. Same with Barkley but May be too soon.

In an ideal world, I personally would have Terry, Walker and Walcott in for Smalling, Milner and Welbeck. We do not have enough strength at the back and that's my main concern.

But all teams will have injuries etc, so all in all it's a decent squad. The team in the post above would be my first 11 also but not sure if Hodgson is brave enough to go with that v Italy and Ukraine.

Walker wasn't fit enough to go after his hip injury. Hodgson already taking a risk with Wilshere. I read an article few months ago that said that you are better going to World Cup injured rather than unfit, apparently Baresi went to USA 94 injured but he said that was better than being unfit. Welbeck does better in an England shirt than Man U one. Plus we only got the players to play counter attacking football. Welbeck is built for playing on the break. Im glad he has generally going with a young and inexperienced squad. Hodgson is a good manager with proper international experience. But the pool of player we have is much reduced these days. I think he could of taken an extra forward.

I think he has made good selections. I am concerned about our amateurish prep in not playing games in equatorial areas as Italy and Spain have done. But I think the team may be good enough to beat an old Italy side and the others to reach the last 16. Then it is about talent, fitness and composure. I see Argentina as likely winners with Spain. Brazil are not anywhere near a 1970 side and Neymar their main player is injured. Messi crowns career with winner in final!

The 3 Man Utd selections are my only complaints. Not just because Man Utd have had a poor year by their standards but as I don't really think any of them are good enough at international level. Added to that Carrick and Cleverly on standby hardly fills me with joy either should anyone get injured in training before they go!

Welbeck imo is living off the reputation of that goal against Sweden in the Euro's. Whilst it was a good goal it's one moment in one game, his record for United has been frankly awful for 2 seasons since! How many goals has he scored? Whilst I like the idea of going with the younger players I'd have picked Defoe over him. Has never let anyone down in an England shirt despite getting limited chances over his career and yet has a good scoring record for England. I suspect the move to Mickey Mouse football in the MLS has cost him there which is a shame!

It's a pity the lad Rodriguez at Soton got crocked as he's another I'd have taken over Welbeck but that's football!

Don't disagree with any of the others the Liverpool players and Barkley are young(Gerrard and Johnson aside) and in good form, hopefully they'll have the energy to give us a chance in hot conditions at times over there!

The thing is to look beyond the demise of United compared to the past couple of decades. They still finished well in the top half of the division and therefore their players need to be considered. If I have a concern it is that too much is expected of Rooney who may not be fit and is not as good as people rate him. Of course he is good, but he is several light years behind Messi.

Hart

Gerrard Barkley

Sterling Rooney Lallana

Sturridge

Would be my starting line up. My worry is that jags gets injured or cahill suspended and we dont have any cover. I wouldnt have taken smalling, hes vastly over rated, i would have taken stones or caulker, the latter i think will be a biggish club this summer. Also danny welbeck is crap, i would have taken carroll over him, hes such a monster from set pieces

Hart

Gerrard Barkley

Sterling Rooney Lallana

Sturridge

Would be my starting line up. My worry is that jags gets injured or cahill suspended and we dont have any cover. I wouldnt have taken smalling, hes vastly over rated, i would have taken stones or caulker, the latter i think will be a biggish club this summer. Also danny welbeck is crap, i would have taken carroll over him, hes such a monster from set pieces

No defensive cover at all there in midfield, thats why I would have had Carrick possibly over Lampard. None of Lampard, Henderson or Barkley will offer us anything defensively so that along with the right back area is my area of concern.

Wellbeck is an odd one as he always seems to perform for England. As Carroll has scored 2 goals this year I wouldn't touch him over someone like Crouch, infact I would rather take Pope than him.

A better squad than I anticipated Roy picking. But Chris Smalling, why? I know he can play in a few positions, but he's average at best, Championship quality at worst.

Hart

Johnson

Cahill

Jagielka (Is he really the best option we've got?)

Baines

Gerrard

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Henderson

Llalana

Rooney

Sturridge

Sterling and Barkley could be deadly from the bench.

Archived