onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Economy growing

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

Good news for the UK, however another major UK employer, AstraZeneca are being persued by the American Co, Pfizer. If the takeover is successful within a few years there will be a shell of a company left in the UK and all the products, R&D in the USA not to mention another huge blow for UK science.

Good news for the UK, however another major UK employer, AstraZeneca are being persued by the American Co, Pfizer. If the takeover is successful within a few years there will be a shell of a company left in the UK and all the products, R&D in the USA not to mention another huge blow for UK science.

Indeed Pfizer's record is one of acquisition to get their hands on a drug (or one that's in the pipeline) and then cut back on research into new ones at the newly acquired company...a seemingly flawed policy but one they have followed for a number of years. I can imagine many high skilled UK jobs at AstraZeneca moving to the Far East as a result of this.

Sometimes we in the UK benefit from this sort of activity and some times we do not. More often than not we benefit as companies use the UK as their European hub..but obviously not always.

What's always scared me is that there are people who would rather see this govt fail and all the misery that would cause for millins of people than see a Conservative led govt succeed

I can't think of one sane businessman who'd want Ed Balls or Labour back in charge of the economy?

It is difficult to separate chance in the present moment when contemplating whether real growth is occurring. But in the present moment I have secured a new role at a daily rate that approaches what I achieved in 2010 and I am pretty confident this level can be sustained. So something appears to be moving.

It's taken long enough. It's the slowest recovery on record, and it's hurt a lot of people in the process.

Osborne is still borrowing far far more money now than he projected in 2010.

Most economic growth is still in the banking sector. Their recession ended fairly quickly but we're still paying for it for them. The idea that their prosperity will trickle down to everyone else is ridiculous.

It's taken long enough. It's the slowest recovery on record, and it's hurt a lot of people in the process.

It's taken longer due to the depth of the recession and the need to rebuild on a sound bssis and not just achive a quick fix

Osborne is still borrowing far far more money now than he projected in 2010.

That is very worrying

Most economic growth is still in the banking sector.

Well it's in services generally

Their recession ended fairly quickly but we're still paying for it for them. The idea that their prosperity will trickle down to everyone else is ridiculous.

They went in first so you'd expect them to come out first. As banks build up their balance sheets (as required under various regulations to reduce their exposure and improve collateralisation) and return to profit so they will lend more and on better terms to individuals and businesses where there return is less and more risky (at the moment they want conmparatively large returns with less risk)..that's how it will trickle down

As a student of economics for a few years now, I am still trying to discover what the present government's economic policy actually is? It seems to be to take money off those who haven't got much in the first place and give it to those who have already got plenty (tax reductions for those earning over £150K per year).

The trickle down theory was tried in the early 1980s when Geoffrey Howe was Chancellor of the Exchequer. It didn't work then and it won't work now. The German economy is now 3% bigger than it was in 2008 and the American 6.3%. Our economy has not recovered to its 2008 levels yet. Seems to say something about coalition economic policy to me!!

I'm no economist so this could be a load of b0ll0x

The policy is basically to reduce the state (and therefore the cost of the state) and grow the private sector to create jobs and bring in more revenue

It's widely expected that the economy will be back to 2008 levels middle of this year..which considering where we were is some achievement..after all from what i can gather we fell further than most due to inate weaknesses in the structure of our economy.

Personally I think as we are in more of a global economy now than in the 80s, tax cuts, reduced state, reduced corporation tax, tax incentives to organisations etc are more important than ever to attract organisations and their people and create jobs. Trickle down is more likely to work now as we are much more geared towards investment, private sector job creation and so on than in the 80s when we still had the hangover form the 70s. Those with money are more likely to spend/invest it here in the UK..amongst the reason being that just holding on to money isn't going to earn much. Plus there is a better attitude to major infrastructure projects which will surely trickle down to all levels of the economy (not that i necessarily agree with the actual projects themselves).

But only time will tell

Archived