onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rooney's new deal + £300k p/w.

B&W Blood

Advert

Market forces I'm afraid but Wazza has a long way to go before he can compete with the Yanks,who had the top eight earners in 2013.

http://www.toplist8.com/8-highest-paid-sportsmen-2013

Rooney was No. 61 on this list, the definitive Forbes one (from last summer):

http://www.forbes.com/athletes/list/

He may have moved up a bit now, but not too far.

Nevertheless, American athletes tend to earn more because there's less of them sharing a pretty big pot of TV money.

Mixed feelings..it's up to UTD what they pay him and most of us on here (including myself) could give up beer/vale/fashion/DVDs etc to give money to the starving but we don't so that doesn't really come into it for me

Not been really interested in the PL too much for a few years now partly cos of this sort of thing..and the standard has gone downhill

Agreed, I think the two results in the CL this week show the PL up for what it is.

Its nowhere near the best league in the world, most exciting possibly but that is nowhere near the same thing. There are four quality teams, three others and two others after them. After that from 10-20 its all pretty abject stuff.

Obscene is the only word for it. I guess its OK that its only half the world that's starving. It certainly helps to turn you off football.

Sadly 'obscene' doesn't cover it. Not even insane.

A very sad day for English football.

The 1958 Manchester United team have been shamed beyond belief :(

Smacks of desperation by United and Moyes if you ask me.

They are a waning side and full of aging stars who have had their better years. A Club like United, on past reputation and status now need to rebuild for the future. IMO Rooney at those figures is a massive gamble. Are United trying to show the world players they will compete in wages etc and using Rooney as an example?

If we are honest we have to say Rooney is past his best, although still a useful performer now and then. Not one of the World's best surely? As has been uttered he has constantly tried to suggest he would look elsewhere for a big pay off so what will fans of United feel now?

Good luck to him, you can't blame him for grabbing the dough, any of us would but these figures for a player of his ever decreasing value in world Football again stresses how ridiculous the game has become. Little wonder I prefer to watch and support the lower league teams who generally have less gifted players but I refuse to acknowledge or support such prima donnas now saturating our great game. Sad day for football imo.

Archived