onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Mark Duggan lawfully killed

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

To be fair I think we have to trust the Police in this as in the last 10 years 25 people have been killed in open fire whilst 'endagering life'.

In the main they do a very, very good job in sometimes horrendous circumstances. If he was carrying a lethal weapon and threatening life then its very difficult to argue that it wasn't lawful.

Its good to hear that his aunt will continue her fight for justice but wants no more public violence.

I find it hard to stomach how family and friends make out he was a completely innocent person and the police are the ones totally to blame. Let's not forget he was a violent gang member who had just picked up a gun. How dare the police not trust their lives in such an upstanding persons hands. Most of out police don't carry guns and so we don't love in a trigger happy country.

That being said, the police do have a responsibility to carry the weapon responsibly. I don't know all the facts, but I can believe they thought he was a threat. If he hadn't been in possession of a weapon at all, and wasn't a violent gang leader then I'd be appalled, but it doesn't seen to be the case.

Some scumbags will probably try to use it as an excuse to cause some agro.

To be fair I think we have to trust the Police in this as in the last 10 years 25 people have been killed in open fire whilst 'endagering life'.

In the main they do a very, very good job in sometimes horrendous circumstances. If he was carrying a lethal weapon and threatening life then its very difficult to argue that it wasn't lawful.

Its good to hear that his aunt will continue her fight for justice but wants no more public violence.

It's always sad when somebody loses their life no matter what the circumstances but in this case he had collected a firearm had a history of violence and was obviously carrying the firearm to use (why else would you carry it) unfortunately if you carry a firearm you can guarantee that when the police do come for you (and they always will sooner or later) they themselves will carry firearms and will be very proficient in their use and will take no risks hence when they feel threatened they will fire and that usually results in death

I find it hard to stomach how family and friends make out he was a completely innocent person and the police are the ones totally to blame. Let's not forget he was a violent gang member who had just picked up a gun. How dare the police not trust their lives in such an upstanding persons hands. Most of out police don't carry guns and so we don't love in a trigger happy country.

That being said, the police do have a responsibility to carry the weapon responsibly. I don't know all the facts, but I can believe they thought he was a threat. If he hadn't been in possession of a weapon at all, and wasn't a violent gang leader then I'd be appalled, but it doesn't seen to be the case.

Some scumbags will probably try to use it as an excuse to cause some agro.

That's pretty much how I feel about it too.

The bloke was obviously a horrible violent criminal and society will be better off without him but I don't believe in the death penalty and I certainly don't believe in arbitary 'justice' without fair trial for anyone and by any organisation.

In this case a jury decided on a verdict, as is our legal system, and, given my limited knowledge of the facts, I accept that verdict as being fair.

Those who live by the sword.......

The police have an impossible job, they were stopping a known gang member, a history of firearm offences, known to be in possession of a weapon...would you wait until he opened fire on you or your collegues?.... I think not...

Absolutely right, also this person and the subsequent happenings have cost mega amounts of money that could have been spent on more worthy needs, his family and those willing to cause trouble need to accept he was a dangerous criminal and accept the verdict and move on.

I agree with everyone above

The police in the UK so rarely actually use their guns even when armed officers attend an incident; they deserve so much praise for that, for controlling themsleves so well

The only issue I can possibly see is whether the law needs revisiting or not..what happened was within the law but the question should be asked "Should it be?" Hopefully the answer remains as yes and we let the police deal with these horrendously difficult situations with the protection that they also deserve from the law

While I would not want the police officer charged, he still shot a man who did not have a gun.

The issue for me, is the wording. They had the man surrounded and he did not raise a gun (he didnt have one at the time) so he should not have been shot.

The Police in these circumstances, have very little time to make a decision and I think that the police officer made the choice, because he honestly believed he had a gun.

Its a very difficult area, the obvious questions to ask are... at the time of the shooting

Did he have a gun... No

Was he a danger... No

Was he a perceived danger... Yes

The split verdict didnt help any, I havent read it all and I dont know the answer but I have a nagging doubt. It may be what JA says above.

Archived