onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

v Peterborough..Pre match and game itself

smada

Advert

We set up the way we did today because we were scared of the opposition. Generally negative tactics produce a negative result and today was no exception. Our hoof tactics for Pope or Hughes did neither of them any favours and left our midfield in no position to support them, leaving Posh to pick up the second ball and start their attacks all over again. I suppose it comes down to whether you'd prefer to lose after having a go at winning it or if you'd prefer to lose after trying not to. Personally I'm happier to lose by two or three having taken the game to the opposition than to lose 1-0 and only have 1 shot at goal. Bring on Sheffield United. Up the Vale!

I think Hughes showed today why he should be starting. His workrate was phenomenal, some good hold up play and lack of service let him down.

It annoys me that Hughes get substituted every time he starts, even though he's outperformed Pope in every game they've played together.

Pope's scored 1 more league goal than Hughes and played virtually every minute of every game. He's just not performing.

Possibly because of his age he needs to be handled with care. There is no doubt that he will run all day for the cause and is by far our best forward.

As well, all I ask from the Players is 100% effort we got that in spades today. I would have liked us to go at them more for the last 20 minutes as I felt they were vulnerable down the wings but I enjoyed it. And just for the record I thought that we played less 'hoofball' than we have in the past.

Tom Pope has always thrived on balls into the box from the wide men. Once he is denied those, you can see the limitations to his play. Even so he usually puts the graft in but I'm not sure that can be said of him lately (especially at Tranmere, where he looked how Sunday morning players look after a skinful!).

We were hard done-by today, but that's football sometimes. Bristol City were mugged last week, remember.

My only worry is that's 1 point out of 6 from two home games before two away games where we'll be lucky to get much.

Peterborough started poorly and gave the ball away very cheaply, but the Vale didn't take advantage and after half-time the visitors dominated in all areas of the pitch. I was disappointed with Adams's team selection - a bit too negative for my liking, particularly as we were at home. By the 67th minute Peterborough had used all of their substitutes with a clear intention to try and win the game, but we seemed intent on clinging on for a 0-0 and Adams didn't respond until it was too late.

I think we'll be okay this season and I was impressed with the effort and endeavour, but without width we will continue to struggle to score.

Adams didn't respond until it was too late?

they scored about 2 mins. AFTER Hughes went off.

With the limited options we have, who could he have played that would have improved the performance. We need to forget last season,the wingers are not up to it, we probably need pace through the middle.

Peterborough started poorly and gave the ball away very cheaply, but the Vale didn't take advantage and after half-time the visitors dominated in all areas of the pitch. I was disappointed with Adams's team selection - a bit too negative for my liking, particularly as we were at home. By the 67th minute Peterborough had used all of their substitutes with a clear intention to try and win the game, but we seemed intent on clinging on for a 0-0 and Adams didn't respond until it was too late.

I think we'll be okay this season and I was impressed with the effort and endeavour, but without width we will continue to struggle to score.

Just to put matters into perspective here - Peterborough paid more for Asombalonga than Mr Smurthwaite paid for the Vale. They paid more for Tyrone Barnett than Mr Smurthwaite paid for the Vale. I thought we would get murdered today and thought Vale did exceptionally well.

We set up the way we did today because we were scared of the opposition. Generally negative tactics produce a negative result and today was no exception. Our hoof tactics for Pope or Hughes did neither of them any favours and left our midfield in no position to support them, leaving Posh to pick up the second ball and start their attacks all over again. I suppose it comes down to whether you'd prefer to lose after having a go at winning it or if you'd prefer to lose after trying not to. Personally I'm happier to lose by two or three having taken the game to the opposition than to lose 1-0 and only have 1 shot at goal. Bring on Sheffield United. Up the Vale!
It is not a case of being scared, but having respect for the opposition. MA saw them trash Reading 6-0. Team and tactics should be chosen to deal with the opposition, not for entertainment, when dealing with the top team.

MA`s priority is as many points as possible to survive, draws against the top teams are acceptable. There were some top performances out there today, which was pleasing, after all we are finding our way this season, I expect next year to see improvement.

What? The game was crying out for Jenno to run into the big open space on both wings.

Instead we decided to channel everything high and through the middle to little or no effect. We were never going to get a draw you could sense what was coming especially with the defence we have and the way in which the ball was coming straight back.

Adams was more happy playing Dicko as a DM than actually players wide men and attacking...we are the home team after all

"Run into the big open spaces"? When does JMW ever do that? Him and Birchall couldn't even beat L2 fullbacks on Tuesday, so what chance against Peterborough.

Well said. JMW is not good enough for Div one, hopefully we can ship out and pick up a couple of wide players on loan or in the Jan window.

"Run into the big open spaces"? When does JMW ever do that? Him and Birchall couldn't even beat L2 fullbacks on Tuesday, so what chance against Peterborough.

I don't usually criticise other posters but those who are saying that 'Hughes must be embarrassed that Pope is left on while he is substituted' are showing a lack of understanding. I would think that it is decided before the match or at least at half time how long Lee is going to play. The guy would run himself into the ground but the management team have to look after him.

He needs to start every match for us in my opinion but he can't playa full match every week.

Archived