onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

28th September 2013, Tranmere Rovers v Port Vale, Pre match, Match

Fosse69

Advert

Should do a job here. Tranmere are struggling and have been since they got knocked off top-spot last season.

Just hope we can get organised at the back a bit better and keep a clean sheet, as well as winning the game. Hopefully we take a good following as their home attendances aren't brilliant right now which could spur the lads on a bit more as it usually seems too.

Tom Pope Hatrick!

I would start Hughes though.

I thought the debate over playing Hughes and Pope together had been finished following Pope's return to top form in the absense of Hughes. Hughes' role for the rest of the season should be cover for Pope or a sub when a late goal is needed.

Attack isn't the problem, it's left half of the defence.

Go with the team that finished Saturday with the "we'll score one more than you" mentality. Play to our strength which is attacking, the best form of defence.

Isn't this essentially the same team selection that started the Carlisle game which you subsequently started slating Adams for his negative dire tactics?

You change your mind very quickly and drastically on occasions don't you

Birch should play on the wing, not in the middle! Play Jeno on the left!

So, who are you going to drop? Loft played on the left and he won't be dropped, which means dropping either Lines or Griff and moving Loft to the middle.

Loft plays better on the left and has started timing his runs into the box well to add to our attack.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshirevaliant View Post - I would start Hughes though.

I thought the debate over playing Hughes and Pope together had been finished following Pope's return to top form in the absense of Hughes. Hughes' role for the rest of the season should be cover for Pope or a sub when a late goal is needed.

Attack isn't the problem, it's left half of the defence.

Think it is more that Pope is playing better now he is not carrying injuries to his leg and arm. He is also getting crosses to attack as well - as they say - feed the Pope and he will score. Great to see the Pope back and scoring for the fun of it. He thrives on confidence.

Williamson has got to start after making such an impact on Saturday, surely? Fair enough, you can argue that he only made the impact he did because he came off the bench. But he's never going to improve and really show his worth unless he gets a run of games in the side - this is a fact. Also, being away from home I'd have Griffith back in the side to add a bit more bite to the midfield and protection to the back four, who have been struggling.

Neal

Yates

Dickinson

Robertson

Jones (if fit - is he likely to be?)

Birchall

Loft

Griffith

Myrie-W

Williamson

Pope

I always enjoy away games at Prenton Park. But please, no Liam Chilvers!

Williamson has got to start after making such an impact on Saturday, surely? Fair enough, you can argue that he only made the impact he did because he came off the bench. But he's never going to improve and really show his worth unless he gets a run of games in the side - this is a fact. Also, being away from home I'd have Griffith back in the side to add a bit more bite to the midfield and protection to the back four, who have been struggling.

Neal

Yates

Dickinson

Robertson

Birchall

Loft

Griffith

Myrie-W

Williamson

Pope

You're pretty much spot-on there.

It's a shame about Chilvers because he puts his body on the line more than most and he is a good defender...just not in this league.

Neal

Yates

Dickinson

Robertson

Birchall

Loft

Griffith

Myrie-W

Williamson

Pope

No lines? His passing is exceptional, no need to play griff as were leaking goals with him in the side.

Tranmere is my nearest league club and as well as following Port Vale I have watched them quite a lot over the last 26 years. I went to their last home game against Brentford where they lost 3-4. They have an immature team with a lot of players who have come through the youth system and at the same time are held together in defence by Goodison who was an excellent centre half but is now nearly 41 years old. They are in a bad state and have taken only 17 points from the last 75 available. Against Brentford they sleep walked to 0-2 in the opening phase then got back to 2-2 and 3-3 before losing to an injury time penalty. They are capable of playing good football in bursts but Vale should win this if the team turns up well focused. Pope needs use his muscle and power against the central defence and we need plenty of crosses. Tranmere can play through teams quite well so the team needs to keep a good shape and watch them on the deck in front of the back four. Most of all we need to start at 100mph and keep their lack of confidence in place. If they score they will grow confidence and become a harder proposition. The pitch is something to adapt to as it is an altogether tighter ground than Vale Park. I'm confident of us winning, but I don't like to see my second team flirting with relegation.

My in-laws are all Tranmere fans & I must admit that I admire them and their like. They all live nearby yet refuse to follow the 2 teams from "over the water." They actually have a "Vale Park" nearby & we'll probably visit the Eggy Ferry pub for a few before kick-off.

As far as I'm concerned defeat is not an option!

Onwards & upwards

No lines? His passing is exceptional, no need to play griff as were leaking goals with him in the side.

I'm yet to be convinced in regards to Lines. He's a good passer as you mentioned, and also excellent in general at dead-balls, but from what I've seen he has a tendency to go missing a bit. If it's one thing that Griffith does well it's to make his presence felt. I wouldn't be against either starting against Tranmere.

As a side-note, it's good to see Doug Loft finally scoring a few. With his engine he really should be looking at getting close, if not into, double figures from midfield.

Archived