onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smuf on sky blues site

j_grainger10

I've just read the thread on the Coventry fans forum. It amazes me that 2 sets of fans can watch the same match and come to completely opposite opinions.

Must be that the view from the Hamil is not as good as I thought!

Why is it amazing, Vale fans do it every week. Were we rubbish in the first half or just overrun by a faster passing side, and lucky not to be 5-1 down, but the tables turned in the second half and we would have won 6-5. But as usual not all chances go in.

Advert

Perhaps Smurf could speak to Coventry and ask how they have assembled such a squad on 60% of revenue from 2500 gates. I'd also ask the FL the same question. One rule for one but not for another.
We will have to wait and see what happens in the monthly reviews, their budget would have been based on higher gates. Obviously they had some highly paid stars and good players before admin, some have been moved out and replaced by younger players, to reduce the wage bill. But with their small "home" income I would expect them to have to continue to reduce their wage bill, by moving more players out. The only other alternative, ignoring the vested interests, is to move back to the Ricoh to increase the gates, but would the rent exceed the increased income? Hard times for the fans, but rules have to be fairly applied, no doubt most other clubs in L1 will be watching, if Cov are in the PO frame.

Perhaps Smurf could speak to Coventry and ask how they have assembled such a squad on 60% of revenue from 2500 gates. I'd also ask the FL the same question. One rule for one but not for another.

Its worse than that, the highest crowd at sixfields is 1600.

Starting to **** me off now all this Coventry loving, very strange behaviour considering he is the chairman of port vale!

Not strange at all considering for instance the love Tom Pope had for Vale when he was at Rotherham and Crewe for example or the love Howard Webb has for Rotherham even when he is officiating the likes of Wednesday.

A massive overreaction is what your comment is given the wonders the man has done for our club.

You're right, it's embarrassing how he's carried on.

A couple of Cov fans have said how wonderful he is on there so I'm sure he's happy now.

You could argue its great PR for Port Vale - would 3100 away fans have turned up without Smurf's involvement by offering them the option to buy tickets direct without going through SISU?

Some need to lighten up we got the 3pts with a good display in front of 9200. We could only dream that 12 months ago.

Agreed, unless SISU are essentially bankrolling the club which I heard from a couple of Cov fans yesterday. As far as I am aware, 'help' from owners is permitted under the FFP rules.

But you hear some fans complaining that we aren't signing we can't sign any more players and saying Smurf should stump up. I would rather we stuck to the rules without any financial help from our chairman, who has already stuck in enough of his own cash for the time being. Adams et al should work with what they have, and when the cash becomes available they can use it wisely at that point.

You could argue its great PR for Port Vale - would 3100 away fans have turned up without Smurf's involvement by offering them the option to buy tickets direct without going through SISU?

Some need to lighten up we got the 3pts with a good display in front of 9200. We could only dream that 12 months ago.

Yes they probably would have come. Short journey, nice weather, boycotting home games, unbeaten run, top scorers in England. I actually expected more to travel.

Yes they probably would have come. Short journey, nice weather, boycotting home games, unbeaten run, top scorers in England. I actually expected more to travel.

There were many put off due to the hostility away fans receive when they come up to Vale Park and Burslem especially after the reports about Bradford and Wolves, anything to help in this regard is welcome in my view.

Was talking with a few in town before and after the game and this was the general consensus. They were most surprised how little trouble there was and the general welcome they received was positive. How much of Norms PR helped in this regard?

Starting to **** me off now all this Coventry loving, very strange behaviour considering he is the chairman of port vale!

I would not call it love, more like sympathy. But in Norman`s case they are his boyhood club. Quite possibly if he had been given the choice to buy Vale or Sky-Blues, we would not be smiling today. Luckily it did not happen, but our problems were small in comparison and an attractive investment. Whereas to fork out £40M for them I do not understand, unless the Ricoh and it`s surrounding land is likely to be in a future equation, otherwise just their Premier League potential.

There were many put off due to the hostility away fans receive when they come up to Vale Park and Burslem especially after the reports about Bradford and Wolves, anything to help in this regard is welcome in my view.

Was talking with a few in town before and after the game and this was the general consensus. They were most surprised how little trouble there was and the general welcome they received was positive. How much of Norms PR helped in this regard?

Very little I would imagine.

Which is to the benefit of club and town in financial terms, that we have a friendly reputation. The biggest problem for the visitors seemed to be a lack of drinking places.

Wrong LV you really should check your facts before posting - Coventry only took 1500 to Shrewsbury which is nearer! In fact 3100 is by far and away their largest following this season which, if you read the Sky Blues forum, was down partly to the chairman's offer.

Wrong LV you really should check your facts before posting - Coventry only took 1500 to Shrewsbury which is nearer! In fact 3100 is by far and away their largest following this season which, if you read the Sky Blues forum, was down partly to the chairman's offer.

Straw clutching and can never be proved. They were talking of a big following before Smurthwaite was fawning over them.

I'm sure Shrewsbury couldn't cater for massive away followings and offer 3,000 plus tickets to away fans either seen as their ground would have been at full capacity with our crowd yesterday.

Archived