onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Royal Mail privatisation

For Us All

Do you seriously believe that Steve? Revenue from publicly operated services goes to the Exchequer. That's always assuming the government can contrive a profit from operations. They rarely do.
Well it should do I should have said.

Given the options a) expensive product where a small amount of people benefit or b) a state run efficient 'business' run as a service and we all benefit, I will take the latter every time.

Please answer this Tone, when the country owns no assets what will future governments sell off? It's crass, short term, Wonga style economics and completely unsustainable run by the wealthy for the wealthy. Future generations will be furious at the present generation at what little we have left them with. Pure greed and selfishness.

Advert

Well it should do I should have said.

You should send them a copy of "Das Kapital". ;)

Given the options a) expensive product where a small amount of people benefit or b) a state run efficient 'business' run as a service and we all benefit, I will take the latter every time.

Give me a few examples of what you define as a "State run efficient 'business'".

Please answer this Tone, when the country owns no assets what will future governments sell off? It's crass, short term, Wonga style economics and completely unsustainable run by the wealthy for the wealthy. Future generations will be furious at the present generation at what little we have left them with. Pure greed and selfishness.

It all starts when someone creates something. I'll give you that raw materials are often a factor, but from Josiah Wedgwood to Steve Jobs, I contend that "assets" are something that are created by risk-takers who have the passion to pursue the opportunity to design, build and market something that previously did not exist. Governments never create anything.

You should send them a copy of "Das Kapital". ;)

Give me a few examples of what you define as a "State run efficient 'business'".

Many of the German (Deutsche Bahn/DB Schenker), French (SCNF) and Scandinavian state & part state owned companies that own much of our infrastructure and seem to be doing pretty damn good, In fact about twenty years ahead of us.

Can you please answer my last question, I'll repeat it for you: when the country owns no assets what will future governments sell off?

A government created the largest 'free for all' health system in the world something that many of your adopted countrymen are s**t scared of. Striving for a little more equality, what an evil concept eh?

Many of the German (Deutsche Bahn/DB Schenker), French (SCNF) and Scandinavian state & part state owned companies that own much of our infrastructure and seem to be doing pretty damn good, In fact about twenty years ahead of us.

Can you please answer my last question, I'll repeat it for you: when the country owns no assets what will future governments sell off?

A government created the largest 'free for all' health system in the world something that many of your adopted countrymen are s**t scared of. Striving for a little more equality, what an evil concept eh?

The form of "Social Capitalism" as operated by the French and Germans appears a good compromise for a countries' strategic industries. Prevents/dissuades hostile takeovers and gives companies access to funding for R&D, infrastructure, expansion and provides stability.

It makes me laugh watching the last night of The Proms with all the 'city high flyers' standing and singing "Land of Hope and Glory" with their hands on their hearts and the next day back at work they're trying to sell the UK's assets from underneath it.

Better for whom?

Are you serioulsy suggesting that the lecy companies are comparabale to say Tescos or Argos or KFC who have to handle real competition..if they put there prices up by 8% cos (using the KFC example) the price of chicken went up people would just stop buying there delicious chicken based products and would go elsewhere for their gourmet food

privatisation has its merits but it depends how its done and in the past its not been done well

The customer essentially. The NHS (much like the Royal Mail) is fundamentally flawed, and looking like there is no way of turning it around. I will be getting private health insurance soon, as the way the NHS is run is dangerous. Why I am attending an inquest for my Grandad next week!

If you are paying for a service you expect it to be good, as people will move to competitors if the service offered is poor! Competition is good!

The customer essentially.

i remain unconvinced that privatisation of gas and electricity and water has been bette for the customer

The NHS (much like the Royal Mail) is fundamentally flawed, and looking like there is no way of turning it around.

In what way is it fundamentally flawed?

I will be getting private health insurance soon, as the way the NHS is run is dangerous. Why I am attending an inquest for my Grandad next week!

Hmmm..I already use private medical insurance for the vast majority of things..very rarely have I sued the NHS in recent years. However, my family uses it extensively and my wife is a NHS nurse and whilst whatever happened re your Grandad is (possibly) regretable and indeed far worse, in ther main the NHS does an excellent job

If you are paying for a service you expect it to be good, as people will move to competitors if the service offered is poor! Competition is good!

I agree in principle..but that hasn't happened. With water you cannot swap, with gas/lecy swapping doesn't really make any significant difference. Royal mail privatisation will hopefully introduce some competition but gievn the infrastructure advantrages Royal Mail has I can't see it. The day i can walk into the Post Office (for example) and choose between Royal Mail, UPS, FedEx etc etc and pick the cheapest or best value for money for my letter I'll believe it

The NHS should be ran like Legal Aid, with health insurance being compulsory. You never know, it could end up cheaper than the tax that the NHS costs out of your wages

People do pay into it...for decades most people pay into the NHS and take nothing out..then when they get older/ill they call upon the service they have paid into. I don't mind paying for the NHS for myself and others thru my taxes

i remain unconvinced that privatisation of gas and electricity and water has been bette for the customer

I am not of the age to remember the times before gas, electric etc were public companies. However, my experience of public companies is that they are inefficient and poorly run due to lack of competition. The only problem is if a cartel starts with the companies and price fixing. However, a governing body should rule this.

Also, I am taking this from the service that Network Rail offer. I am convinced 90% of British Rail issues are down to them. I have a friend who works for them and it is extremely ineffiecient, passing the cost on to the rail suppliers, and then ourselves.

I am of course talking about rules of thumb here, and not all companies go this way.

In what way is it fundamentally flawed?

It has failed to move with the times, it has been swiftly beaten by other delivery companies. And with the rise of email, it seems financially it will struggle.

Hmmm..I already use private medical insurance for the vast majority of things..very rarely have I sued the NHS in recent years. However, my family uses it extensively and my wife is a NHS nurse and whilst whatever happened re your Grandad is (possibly) regretable and indeed far worse, in ther main the NHS does an excellent job

My mum happens to be a nurse and is attempting to move jobs, and tells me how she regularly writes reports saying that the level of care is dangerous. I am also taking my knowledge from my Grandads case, and a fellow OVFer Rory who had a horrific time trying to get treated by the NHS.

I agree in principle..but that hasn't happened. With water you cannot swap, with gas/lecy swapping doesn't really make any significant difference. Royal mail privatisation will hopefully introduce some competition but gievn the infrastructure advantrages Royal Mail has I can't see it. The day i can walk into the Post Office (for example) and choose between Royal Mail, UPS, FedEx etc etc and pick the cheapest or best value for money for my letter I'll believe it

I believe the large infrastructure is part of the problem. Too many people getting paid and not producing enough cash.

It could turn it around, however, it has lost a lot of first mover advantage!

Archived