onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Royal Mail privatisation

For Us All

The NHS is unworkable and dangerous!

In the main I disagree

You cannot blame private drug companies on the poor service the NHS gives. Why don't the government use all the money they are 'raking' in from the Eastern line to pay for this? If money goes out of your wage for the NHS you expect some kind of service when you are ill

And most people get ba good servcie when they are ill

In recent years:

Car crash where I sufferd shoulder injuries and my wife a broken leg..the service was excellent

Wife suffered arhythmia (?) and needed emergency treatment which was excellent

I suffered double pneumonia earlier this year and needed emergency treatment which was excellent

Elderly neighbour needed knee replacement; was done within weeks exactly to schedule

Elderly friend started to experience heart problems; admitted same day, had op the next day to fit a stent(?) and was out a week later

Of course people have bad/terrible/fatal experiences at the hands of the NHS, that's inevitable, but I suggest that the vast majority have a positive experience.

Advert

You cannot expect the Royal Mail to continually lose money, they need to be more efficient, and reduce deliveries to these kind of places to every other day for example

Should we do the same with the NHS? Where it costs more money to treat a little old lady living in rural Wales than is does in the centre of Hanley should she get a reduced service?

Why are we suddenly getting all these unconnected to football threads? In addition to this one, we also have a thread about gas price rises and another regarding electricity prices--is it just me who thinks it's becoming more like "Question Time" than a true football-related site?

It's the off topic section

As the front page says "Almost anything goes in this section - apart from football"

In the main I disagree

And most people get ba good servcie when they are ill

In recent years:

Car crash where I sufferd shoulder injuries and my wife a broken leg..the service was excellent

Wife suffered arhythmia (?) and needed emergency treatment which was excellent

I suffered double pneumonia earlier this year and needed emergency treatment which was excellent

Elderly neighbour needed knee replacement; was done within weeks exactly to schedule

Elderly friend started to experience heart problems; admitted same day, had op the next day to fit a stent(?) and was out a week later

Of course people have bad/terrible/fatal experiences at the hands of the NHS, that's inevitable, but I suggest that the vast majority have a positive experience.

Well your experiences have been far better than mine! My grandma had to go private for her knee because she was on a year long waiting list

Bit of a difference between a letter and someones life

Not all medical needs are life threatening..could be something far more mundane but it means a heck of a lot to the patient

Same principle..either an organisation has to be efficient and make profit from its servcies or it does not and it cuts loss making services or charges much more for them

So....?

Royal Mail is also not continually losing money..last year it made £211m and £144m in the six months to September this year

That is true. Maybe they can put the price of stamps down ;) haha

But is it sustainable? I actually get angry when I'm sent a letter, what a waste of the time when we have email.

Letters will be rarely used in 20 years

Not all medical needs are life threatening..could be something far more mundane but it means a heck of a lot to the patient

Same principle..either an organisation has to be efficient and make profit from its servcies or it does not and it cuts loss making services or charges much more for them

So....?

Completely disagree! When health is involved, non-life threatening or not, the highest service should be given.

Delivery letters is out-dated and you can wait for them. Letters should probably be banned. Use email

Well your experiences have been far better than mine! My grandma had to go private for her knee because she was on a year long waiting list

Which is wrong and regrettable (depending upon how much pain and suffering was occurring)

But is it the norm? I suggest that most have a positive experience I think 2012 figures were something like a 70% satisfaction rate re hospitals and 88% re GPs..so whilst those figures need to improve it does suggest that the vast majority get a good service

Completely disagree! When health is involved, non-life threatening or not, the highest service should be given.

You posted this

"The NHS should be ran like Legal Aid, with health insurance being compulsory. You never know, it could end up cheaper than the tax that the NHS costs out of your wages"

Which means those that cannot afford the top level of health insurance will not get the top level of service if they can get insurance at all...it will be a case of health providers charging as much as they can get away with to provide as little as they can get away with to maximise profits. Even private health insurance usually has an 'excess'

I don't mind paying out of my wages for other people to get treatment they need

Delivery letters is out-dated and you can wait for them. Letters should probably be banned. Use email

I'd love to have seen my dementia suffering late Mum deal with email..she could just about read an official letter of some sort and at least recognise what it was cos she'd seen them before. With email I doubt she would have even remembered to log on let alone be able to.

You posted this

"The NHS should be ran like Legal Aid, with health insurance being compulsory. You never know, it could end up cheaper than the tax that the NHS costs out of your wages"

Which means those that cannot afford the top level of health insurance will not get the top level of service if they can get insurance at all...it will be a case of health providers charging as much as they can get away with to provide as little as they can get away with to maximise profits. Even private health insurance usually has an 'excess'

I don't mind paying out of my wages for other people to get treatment they need

I'd love to have seen my dementia suffering late Mum deal with email..she could just about read an official letter of some sort and at least recognise what it was cos she'd seen them before. With email I doubt she would have even remembered to log on let alone be able to.

What I don't like is paying out of my wages for a service which is dangerous. I'd prefer to keep the money and sort out my own private health cover. That would be my choice then people who want to use the NHS can.

Of course, it would be unreasonable to ask the older generation to scrap letters. But the world will go completely electronic one day, where every home will have braodband, leaving the Royal Mail obsolete

That is true. Maybe they can put the price of stamps down ;) haha

But is it sustainable? I actually get angry when I'm sent a letter, what a waste of the time when we have email.

Letters will be rarely used in 20 years

I agree but it has to be phased outover a long period and for me whatever bit remains until phased out completely should be state owned..to ensure service to those still relying on it

What I don't like is paying out of my wages for a service which is dangerous. I'd prefer to keep the money and sort out my own private health cover. That would be my choice then people who want to use the NHS can.

You don't think it's right that we pay into the pot to provide a servcie for those that cannot afford to pay into the pot? I am quite happy to pay so that the old lady next door gets her artificial knee when she needs it cos she can't afford to pay for it

se, it would be unreasonable to ask the older generation to scrap letters. But the world will go completely electronic one day, where every home will have braodband, leaving the Royal Mail obsolete

Except for parcel deliveries..anyting that has to be physically delivered. Plus globally not all countries will be at the same level and so will still rely to an extent on 'letters' and may need those delivered in the UK or from the UK

You don't think it's right that we pay into the pot to provide a servcie for those that cannot afford to pay into the pot? I am quite happy to pay so that the old lady next door gets her artificial knee when she needs it cos she can't afford to pay for it

Except for parcel deliveries..anyting that has to be physically delivered. Plus globally not all countries will be at the same level and so will still rely to an extent on 'letters' and may need those delivered in the UK or from the UK

No I don't think its right. However, for me, the NHS is not working and we need an overhaul,

True about the letters but i'd say 95% of the letters I recieve can be done by email

Archived