onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale in league 1: player requirements?

ValeMadrid87

More of a hold up forward rather than an out and out striker..in the mould of Mark Hughes/Kevin Davies...maybe the actual Kevin Davies

I think Pope does this very well and has scored a load as well! There were times on Saturday where Pope kept the ball surrounded by about 5 northampton players and still found his man. It was just crying out for Tony Naylor to make a run into the box!

Would obviously take Kevin Davies in a heart beat.

Advert

I was speaking to a work colleague who is a Brighton fan and he said Loft struggled at league 1 level as his first touch was not good enough. This part of his game has not improved, he is ok as a squad player so I would offer him 12 months.

Completely agree touch isn't good enough for league one especially playing along side Griff. That midfield two certainly wont cut it in the league above, if Griff plays we need a proper ball playing midfielder someone like Burge. Lofts best position is left midfield or even left back. Can be good in the middle but he's proved over the last ten games he's far to hit and miss there!

Completely agree touch isn't good enough for league one especially playing along side Griff. That midfield two certainly wont cut it in the league above, if Griff plays we need a proper ball playing midfielder someone like Burge. Lofts best position is left midfield or even left back. Can be good in the middle but he's proved over the last ten games he's far to hit and miss there!

Could Wellens be the ball playing midfielder we need? not sure if he would move to league one though(if we are interested of course)

Exactly my thinking. Mattholl seems to think we need a new XI for next year. Yates has been one of our better performers of the year so deserves his chance in league 1. Same with a few other players. I think we need to be looking at a higher class of CB and CM personally.

In a perfect world we need about 8 new players , but it never happens and wont happen here. Probably 4 decent players will be signed with the expectation that several of the current squad will show improvement with better players alongside them just like Pope did this year.

In a perfect world we need about 8 new players , but it never happens and wont happen here. Probably 4 decent players will be signed with the expectation that several of the current squad will show improvement with better players alongside them just like Pope did this year.

Now that would be handy! I think a really good, creative midfielder would make all the difference to Williamson and if retained, Dodds

If we only sign one player in the summer it has to be a centre back with pace.

Every team in the league above will have match winners and pace, and as much as I applaud McCombe, Chilvers and Purse for their efforts this season and previously, I think all three will be exposed at the level above.

My personal opinion Nick is that we will see a few more than 4 come in,along with a few development squad younger players.

Think we all know that we desperately need a fit, fast, commanding centre back and ball winning, creative, experienced midfielder as priorities. Then the fun starts.... everyone has his/her own opinion on who to retain but my thoughts are that Dodds should be allowed to find another club. He blows cold, cold and hot but not in that order. This season he has probably had a handful of useful contributions but he goes missing too regularly and leaves acres of open space infront of the fullbacks. I cannot accept he is a player to progress when we are in a higher division. He has been a luxury that we have just about managed to get by with and we need 11 men on the pitch contributing something each game . He doesn't and will not in Division 1. The arguments about Yates are, in my mind, insulting. He has shown to be the most improved player at Vale this campaign and surely deserves a chance at Division 1 level. The only gripe people have with him is his sometimes wayward distribution, but if he had a midfield general infront of him he would not need to resort to pumping it upfield all the time(although I think he was playing to orders in that direction). Cases can then be made for and against most of the squad but if Wildes does intend trying to get us to compete in the higher positions then we may need to barter and swap several of our favourites from this season. I have faith in what we are trying to achieve so will look forward to seeing who comes and who goes. After all whatever team we have on the field we will support them fully. We are Port Vale.

If anyone wants a bit of fun speculating, you can view which players are out of contract in the various leagues here

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/vertragsende/basics_GB4_2013.html

thought id just have a look in the championship and there is some right quality on there who might not get another club at championship level...

Andy Reid, Ebanks Blake, Dean Marney, Marcus Tudgay, Abdoulaye Faye, Danny Gabbidon, Ritchie Wellens...

Some may think these are unrealistic targets but there are some big clubs in league 1 and with the oweners wanting to be competative and challenging then I cant see why we cant get some lower end championship players..... :)

Archived