Can we catch Gillingham ?

Bea Smith

To avoid worrying about promotion or not, I decided to be hopelessly optimistic and look at Vale's chances of catching Gillingham. On the face of it, not great - 5 points to make up and just 4 games to do it in.

Gillingham are sloppy though -brilliant away but erratic at home and the key is whether they pull out all the stops at home to Torquay today (Saturday).

I just have a feeling that a desperate Torquay might get a result there and if they do, that leaves Gillingham with away games at Cheltenham and Burton (last day). If they are already promoted by the time they go to Burton (almost certain- they probably have enough points already) they may also be a bit lax in that game.

So maybe a draw at Cheltenham and if they also draw at home to AFC Wimbledon who need points too that gives them 81, maybe 82 points. Even if they win one and draw one or two we can still catch them.

It's a small chance but not impossible by any means. Vale would need to win 3 and draw one of their last four to have a decent chance of catching them, but 3 wins and a defeat or 2 wins and 2 draws might be enough.

If Gillingham draw or win tomorrow and Northampton and Rotherham drop points they are promoted, so I reckon they are bound to give less than opponents who will need the points more than they do.

it's in our own hands bea.

It's in our own hands whether we get automatic promotion, but we can't catch Gillingham unless they drop points as well as us winning our games, so that part isn't in our own hands (yet?).

I'd love to see us bag the title. I've witnessed promotion back in 94 - Brighton away is and will always be my favourite ever moment supporting Vale but I've never seen us top a league.

I'd love to see us bag the title. I've witnessed promotion back in 94 - Brighton away is and will always be my favourite ever moment supporting Vale but I've never seen us top a league.

What will you spend your winnings on Bedester?

I didn't take a bet. I'm not a betting man. Hope we do top the league though so that plenty of vale fans rape Peter Coates for a few quid.

If I had done though Id have bought a season ticket and a celebratory stainless steel side exit exhaust for my Defender!

Just as a matter of interest, (apart from a place in L1) what do 2nd and 3rd place get?

Leaders get a trophy, as do playoff winners. I'd like Vale to be parading round with something at the end of the season.

Whatever happened in our dressing room during March certainly handed Gills the title, because without that spectacular slump we'd have run away as leaders. We can't change what happened but I'm just glad we've turned the corner and are finishing the season with a bang. Boring Gills will have enough more ground out results to drag them over the line but they'll know they're extremely lucky champions!

Hi Guys,

Gills fan here, After last nights result it looks like the only team that can steal the title from us is you lot, and although I would be disapointed if you did I would not be heart broken. We have pushed each other on all season and to see the title go to anyone but one of us would have been gutting. I was even starting to panic recently when you guys started to slip down a bit because not having you go up with us would have taken a bit of the shine off of promotion (but only a bit).

Go luck for the rest of the season and look forward to doing it all again against you next season.

Hi Guys,

Gills fan here, After last nights result it looks like the only team that can steal the title from us is you lot, and although I would be disapointed if you did I would not be heart broken. We have pushed each other on all season and to see the title go to anyone but one of us would have been gutting. I was even starting to panic recently when you guys started to slip down a bit because not having you go up with us would have taken a bit of the shine off of promotion (but only a bit).

Go luck for the rest of the season and look forward to doing it all again against you next season.

Thanks for those comments John, we have both been up there since the beginning of September and it would be galling for anyone else to finish in the top two. We are definately on a roll but may have left it too late for the title.

Archived