onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Adams Out...

scVale

At the time Bratt was looking for a new manager, I for one did not want Adams to return and wanted a new broom to sweep away what was left and start again. IMO Adams made his new bed when he left for Sheffield United. Events at the time though left it a no brainer for the board because they needed a popular manager with the fans that would go to games and so buy season tickets. Adams fitted that bill because he was still popular with a lot of supporters. Adams also knew the situation and no doubt screwed (not literally!) Bratt to get the large contract he has at the Vale.

However on the whole I have to say Adams has done quite well with what hand he has had to deal with over the approx. 18 months before our new owners took over. However he has like other managers before him never truly solved the main issue why promotion has not and may not happen again this season - our home form. It looked at the beginning of the season that we finally would overcome our very poor home form since we got relegated to League 2. However really since Chesterfield dismantled us at Vale Park, we have bar probably a few games struggled once again. The reason we have thrown away a 10 point automatic promotion cushion can be put down to the last 4 home results - W0 D1 L3 - Scored 1 conceded 5.

So will sacking Adams guarantee the promotion we crave? Well unless an appointment was made instantly (unlikely), it would mean either Grew or Page in charge probably at least until the Aldershot game and it could well be after the Chesterfield one. We have already had Grew as temporary in charge and it did not work. Page might work but he has never had managerial experience so it would be a gamble. If it didn't and it took until after Chesterfield to get the owners new man, he would only have about 4 games left meaning he would have to hit the straps immediately. Yes he could do it, but what are the chances he could?

IMO we have to leave Adams to get on with it and try somehow to get now the minimum 3 wins from the 4 home games left. Very preferably against Cheltenham, Burton and Northampton. If we could do that 2 or possibly only 1 win might still be enough for automatic promotion. Even if our home form continues to stink, in theory our away form could still rescue us.

Overall I believe that while it is tempting now to ditch Adams and try new, we should wait and pass judgement as Adams likes to - at the end of the season. If he succeeds in getting promotion, that should be the end of wanting change. However if he fails then the new owners will have decisions to make for next season and one might well be a new man at the helm of Port Vale Football Club.

Advert

Chilvers. Yes

Jones. Yes. If only because Loft can return to midfield.

Hughes. Yes.

Purse. Yes in part - he knows what to do but can't always do it. Not fit enough for 2 games a week and don't like aimless chips upfield.

Griffith. No, so far.

Birchall. Unknown, so no.

Andrew. Yes. The only cover we have for Pope.

Incredible.

George is here. I think that's about right. But one thing niggles away at me with both your post and my earlier post...

I do believe Adams should be given the chance to see this through, to fail or to succeed. However, my mind keeps wandering back to his time at Sheffield United. What was it... 14 games before they chalked up a win? By which time it was too late. I listened to quite a number of post match interviews Adams did while at Sheffield, and I'm hearing a lot of the same again this season. He does not seem to know what has gone wrong or how to solve it, and he's sulking about it.

This time it's chasing promotion, so it's not a complete disaster if he fails. I am more certain by the match that he cannot achieve promotion. But, there's always next season and if Adams does fail then Smurf & Wildes need to examine the reasons why and implement a solution over the summer.

George is here. I think that's about right. But one thing niggles away at me with both your post and my earlier post...

I do believe Adams should be given the chance to see this through, to fail or to succeed. However, my mind keeps wandering back to his time at Sheffield United. What was it... 14 games before they chalked up a win? By which time it was too late. I listened to quite a number of post match interviews Adams did while at Sheffield, and I'm hearing a lot of the same again this season. He does not seem to know what has gone wrong or how to solve it, and he's sulking about it.

This time it's chasing promotion, so it's not a complete disaster if he fails. I am more certain by the match that he cannot achieve promotion. But, there's always next season and if Adams does fail then Smurf & Wildes need to examine the reasons why and implement a solution over the summer.

Back him look for a new man interview them pre play offs. Sack the idiot and bring in a new man to get us through the play offs. Some are out of contract and need to play for a new one.

Think of where there heads are right now

If you went home at night which players are thinking they will not b here next season

How often does it happen that a manager who is 2nd in the table get the sack ? Not very often and it won't happen this team either. It's better to support the players instead then to have theoretical dicussions.

Carlo Ancelloti got the sack from Chelsea. Nigel Adkins this season. lee Clarke is another.

George is here...."promotion,that should end wanting change."

For both League 1 and a shot at the Championship Adams a limited journeyman fourth division manager is not the answer and in particular in terms of an Academy and "Development Squad" Adams certainly has no history of player development and is a very limited coach technically....as a debt free Championship size club with ambition in league 1 Port Vale must do better.

George is here - good post with some well argued points but let me try to put a different, speculative, take on it from the owners' point of view. They will know, as others have pointed out, that Micky does not have, shall we say, an encouraging end of season record. They will also be less than impressed with our current run of form. Moreover, I think they will also be weighing up, if Micky gets us promotion (as I sincerely hope), whether he's the man to take us through L1. If they don't think he is, then his position now is that much more precarious.

I think Tuesday may be a watershed. It's self-evident that we need a draw or ideally a win but more importantly will be how we play. I doubt that Rovers have a better squad, man for man, than we do, so it will come down to the will to win. In other words, who wants it most. If we fold or bottle it, this will only reinforce any doubts that the owners will have. If they think the game is up, and our promotion hopes are ebbing away, they will be asking why wait. So I, for one, don't rule out a change after Tuesday.

I hope I'm wrong. Micky has done a lot to deserve promotion but it's looking really shaky at present. Let's hope we are back on track late on Tuesday evening.

Burslem Academicals,

Perhaps you would like to sit down, think carefully, and tell us with evidence and actual hard facts, how you arrive at that conclusion.

As you obviously think the opposite to BA, what evidence do you have to support your contention? I am genuinely interested by the way, to see where he has successfully developed youth and shown a high level of tactical intellect.

I think Adams was fine early in the season because the team and the squad picked themselves due to limited resource, but seems to have become undone a little when having decisions to make. There are also several unanswered questions such as what went on with Morsy, Burge, Dodds and McDonald to warrant exclusion without really doing much wrong.

How do we know the chairmen are wealthy?

I'm sick of seeing negative Adams posters lay off him

I was in the next box to Wildes and his family recently at the Morecambe game, believe me they are extremely wealthy.

I think Adams was fine early in the season because the team and the squad picked themselves due to limited resource, but seems to have become undone a little when having decisions to make. There are also several unanswered questions such as what went on with Morsy, Burge, Dodds and McDonald to warrant exclusion without really doing much wrong.

Spot on.

cheeky,

Neither myself or BA can comment on youth development. BA says Adams has no history of it, he doesn't know.

Micky Adams record:

Fulham, win rate 47.6%, and a promotion.

Brighton, win rate 40.3%, and a promotion.

Leicester, win rate 37.2%, and a promotion.

In the case of Leicester it was a promotion to the Premier league.

I have no problem with people having opinions, providing it is based on facts. There are people on here saying Adams can't manage above League 2, not only has he, but he has taken a side out of the Championship.

I suppose the moral is, never lets the facts get in the way of a biased opinion.

Archived