onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sproson Statue.

Spunk Trumpet

What was the £100 for? What did the club say it was for?

It was nothing to do with the club.The club had very little to do with the statue.Someone was more interested in themselves and their precious parking space than the statue.

Advert

If you donated £100 it entitled you have your name on the plinth ,originally.The money collected by the Sproson Fund organisers was for the building of the statue not for your name to be put on it.To have your name put on meant you had donated at least £100.I believe about 2 years ago DF requested on OVF for extra funds from people, to complete the statue.At a later date I also believe it was stated that there was not enough room on the plinth for everyones name to go on it.On the four sides of the plinth there are 3 sides taken up by Roy,Phil and Jess.Hence it was decided to put plaques on the wall.Please enjoy the statue and be happy in the knowledge that you helped put it there.

Howard, thats about it. I gave a detailed explanation a lot earlier in this thread. I also paid £100 and am similarly disappointed with the finished article but arent that bothered. However if i was bothered i would contact Pete and see if something constructive could be done to improve the appearance of the whole wall not just the plaques. Instead of just moaning on OVF which has no positive benefit as Pete isnt even registered on OVF as far as i know. Perhaps Pete is also disappointed. You will never know unless you ask. perhaps you may even decide to take the issue on board yourself and dedicate your own time to it as Pete dedicated a couple of years of his life and hdalth to not only getting the statue erected but also fmsuring we still have a footbal club and team to watch.

If you donated £100 it entitled you have your name on the plinth ,originally.The money collected by the Sproson Fund organisers was for the building of the statue not for your name to be put on it.To have your name put on meant you had donated at least £100.I believe about 2 years ago DF requested on OVF for extra funds from people, to complete the statue.At a later date I also believe it was stated that there was not enough room on the plinth for everyones name to go on it.On the four sides of the plinth there are 3 sides taken up by Roy,Phil and Jess.Hence it was decided to put plaques on the wall.Please enjoy the statue and be happy in the knowledge that you helped put it there.

Well said.

Howard, thats about it. I gave a detailed explanation a lot earlier in this thread. I also paid £100 and am similarly disappointed with the finished article but arent that bothered. However if i was bothered i would contact Pete and see if something constructive could be done to improve the appearance of the whole wall not just the plaques. Instead of just moaning on OVF which has no positive benefit as Pete isnt even registered on OVF as far as i know. Perhaps Pete is also disappointed. You will never know unless you ask. perhaps you may even decide to take the issue on board yourself and dedicate your own time to it as Pete dedicated a couple of years of his life and hdalth to not only getting the statue erected but also fmsuring we still have a footbal club and team to watch.

It would suit you to be true wouldn't it?

Facts...

I and many others donated toward the cost of the statue...

A completely separate scheme was devised where for £100 you could have a name of your choice engraved on the plinth possibly with a background picture of the semi-final team...

You are now trying to smokescreen the issue by suggesting there is a criticism of Pete Williams... Wrong it was you who sold me the idea and took £300 off me and you who chaired the committee meeting where it was decided to put the names on plaques on the wall instead without informing anyone or offer a refund. I and others now feel mislead at best and conned at worst.

I'll state again... Pete has been a perfect gent over my issues so I mean no criticism of him at all, ironically unlike yourself.

Dean

If you were to ask any other committee member at the time why we did that, it was because we got a once in a lifetime opportunity to get the statue cast and if we had not taken that decision and waited for everyone to reply to a request for permission to have plaques on a wall then the statue would never have been cast and a whole load of people would now be giving us grief as to why we didnt take the opportunity when the gift horse was offered us.

I'll state again... Pete has been a perfect gent over my issues so I mean no criticism of him at all,

So you have contacted Pete then - what did he say? - i assume he has confirmed that as the appointed statue project liaison officer with the sculptor and architect that he reported to the committee that there were now too many names to go on the plinth (when it eventually would got constructed) but that we were not to worry as a 'wall of plaques' were to be created. The committee then voted in support of this idea and to give the sculptor the go ahead to have the statue cast (the sculptor having just outlined a favourable 'window of opportunity' that met our financial constraints.

Dean, why don't you just ASK the other members of the committee what went on? Instead of making assumptions that fit your agenda about me.

Yes I was Chair of the committee that voted to have (metal inscribed) plaques as there would be insufficient room on the plinth - it was a committee decision not a unilateral one made outside of the committee by me personally - As its been over 18 months since I resigned from the SC committee perhaps even you can appreciate that I was not part of the SC decision making process that subsequently chose instead to have granite plaques carved as they have been, nor erected in the way they have been.

If you are not happy that a committee decision was taken to have the statue cast without seeking your permission to have plaques on the wall rather than the plinth then as Chair of the committee that took the decision at that time I'll accept that but you have to understand that it was a committee decision and if we had not taken that decision, at that time, there would not be a ****** statue to have names on! Perhaps you would have preferred that?

Dean

If you were to ask any other committee member at the time why we did that, it was because we got a once in a lifetime opportunity to get the statue cast and if we had not taken that decision and waited for everyone to reply to a request for permission to have plaques on a wall then the statue would never have been cast and a whole load of people would now be giving us grief as to why we didnt take the opportunity when the gift horse was offered us.

This is the point that bothers me.

So you got everyones 100 pounds.

You knew what you were offering was not going to happen.

You had the peoples money.

You chose not to consult them incase they wouldnt agree, wanted their money back and then you couldnt erect the statue.

So, ultimately, you robbed the people.

This is basically what you have owned up to right? Or am i missing something?

You are so wrong............

Dean

Im getting confused....... what has this "once in a lifetime opportunity" got to do with having the names on chips on the back wall?

By all means go ahead with the casting..... but why proceed with the names if they cant go where they were supposed to go?.... Having the names on off cuts on the back wall wasnt the agreement I entered into..... so why not cast the statue and quite simply state that the names can not go onto the statue and would people like their money back .... or.... plaques can be affixed to the back wall....

Unless of course you didnt have the money to get the statue cast...... so you borrowed the "names" money to cover it.... sounds like misappropriation of funds but I dont think it is..... the problem comes full circle when you dont deliver what you sold and you cant repay the cash.... I cant remember who sold me the "names" idea but I know my receipt was from the shop.

The problem I have with this [well the main problem] is not the money or that someone sold me a lame dog.... but quite simply I purchased the name out of respect for a friend and to pay my respects to that friend continually....... I feel he has been disrespected.....

Master

we had a choice of getting the statue cast and having the names put on plaques instead of a plinth.

Or no statue.

I suggest anyone who paid for 'names' who isn't happy contacts the shop they bought them from i.e. the Supporters Club who can then discuss the situation with their predecessors including previous SC committee members to see if the issue can be resolved to the satisfaction of the majority.

You are so wrong............

So what are you saying?The £100 was to have your name etched on the plinth and for a photo?.I suggest that was a 'bonus' for donating £100 for the statue to be built.I'd ask for your money back if you think you've been ripped off.Then you can say ' I didn't donate because I couldn't have my name put on the plinth'.Give it a rest lads,the most important thing has been achieved.

So what are you saying?The £100 was to have your name etched on the plinth and for a photo?.I suggest that was a 'bonus' for donating £100 for the statue to be built.I'd ask for your money back if you think you've been ripped off.Then you can say ' I didn't donate because I couldn't have my name put on the plinth'.Give it a rest lads,the most important thing has been achieved.

I didnt pay the money to have my name etched anywhere...... I didnt pay the money for the statue..... It wasnt a donation..... I wasnt offered a photo.... The most important thing to me was the commemoration of a friend... that has not been achieved.

Notice the word "PAY"....... it wasnt a donation.

The problem now is being stuck between a rock and a hard place....... It doesnt do what it says on the tin but it affects the SC if action is taken....

Archived