onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vales away support

butt lane vale fan

Advert

Yes, Vale's away support at localish games is pretty amazing. However, how many have experienced something like a Tuesday night away match in London for example? You wouldn't think the travelling support is so epic then. Not a diehard myself but as I dont live in the mother town I have been a fair few away games with the Vale where you could literally count our support. We are not a Newcastle of the lower leagues, just very well supported for away games within a 50 mile radius.

Not completely true to be fair.

We took around 1,000 fans to Northampton last October and around 1,200 went to Fleetwood mid-week. If you check your Geography you will find they are both outside of the 50 mile radius.;)

Taking around 700 fans to both Barnet and Gillingham are both more than respectable as others have mentioned, albeit admittedly inflated somewhat due to our League position.

Question was how would we do on a midweek in London, Not what we took to every round. I think i answered the question quite succinctly. I was in the Shetland isles on the 10th so i can't comment first hand on the previous round.

Depends on whether you class Fulham away as a good example of our travelling support I guess. Why not go one step further and mention the 4000 we took to Spurs in 2006? Our support is class within a set radius, but pretty average outside that radius for league games (with some exceptions).

For every game at Fulham or Spurs, there is a game at Hartlepool or Darlington where we take less than 100.

Depends on whether you class Fulham away as a good example of our travelling support I guess. Why not go one step further and mention the 4000 we took to Spurs in 2006? Our support is class within a set radius, but pretty average outside that radius for league games (with some exceptions).

For every game at Fulham or Spurs, there is a game at Hartlepool or Darlington where we take less than 100.

But our support outside that radius is not average or we would be getting the same number at Vale as we take away to those games and we clearly don't. Our support is above average by some considerable distance for this League no matter where the games are.

And I suspect the last time we took less than 100 to an away game was a Tuesday night game at Hartlepool almost exactly five years ago when we were bottom of the league under Sinnott, had won once in the previous 13 and gone out of the Cup to Chasetown, and were robbed blind in the game by the most incompetent display of refereeing you're ever likely to see. I know because I was there!

i'm not sure that i agree with official figures, as i find that a glib answer and not really answering the question. who says all the away fans are in the away end or are in the allocated seats and does the figure include the away directors and perhaps people who are not obvious away fans?

But our support outside that radius is not average or we would be getting the same number at Vale as we take away to those games and we clearly don't. Our support is above average by some considerable distance for this League no matter where the games are.

And I suspect the last time we took less than 100 to an away game was a Tuesday night game at Hartlepool almost exactly five years ago when we were bottom of the league under Sinnott, had won once in the previous 13 and gone out of the Cup to Chasetown, and were robbed blind in the game by the most incompetent display of refereeing you're ever likely to see. I know because I was there!

As was I, Jacko. I can also remember going to Darlington in Adams' first season when we won 3-1, Loft came on with about half an hour to go, scored 1 and created 2. There didn't seem to be more than 100 there that night.

Rudgiesflatcap, I never mentioned London.

As was I, Jacko. I can also remember going to Darlington in Adams' first season when we won 3-1, Loft came on with about half an hour to go, scored 1 and created 2. There didn't seem to be more than 100 there that night.

"The attendance was 1582, their lowest since 1996, though it looked far less and it included over 100 Vale fans, not bad in the circumstances ie long journey midweek and after recent disappointments."

From the definitive report on PVO!

i'm not sure that i agree with official figures, as i find that a glib answer and not really answering the question. who says all the away fans are in the away end or are in the allocated seats and does the figure include the away directors and perhaps people who are not obvious away fans?

You suggested that stats about away fans were guess work. I pointed out that there were official figures for away followings - ie people paying through the away turnstiles. You will get the odd few who don't sit in that section of the ground but there will be minimal in most cases. I'm sorry if that sounds glib.

"The attendance was 1582, their lowest since 1996, though it looked far less and it included over 100 Vale fans, not bad in the circumstances ie long journey midweek and after recent disappointments."

From the definitive report on PVO!

Haha. In the absence of definitive facts, we'll have to agree to disagree. There weren't many more than 100, if even there was that many. I can remember just about thawing out by the time I got back to Wilmslow around 1am.

Haha. In the absence of definitive facts, we'll have to agree to disagree. There weren't many more than 100, if even there was that many. I can remember just about thawing out by the time I got back to Wilmslow around 1am.

We were sitting on the car park before the game listening to the guy on local radio telling us that the ref was on the pitch inspecting it and the game was likely to be off! It only went ahead at the last minute.

Archived