onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Time to think about a new stadium?

barkis

I have always been an advocate of us moving to a purpose built new stadium vale park is old archaic and cold with no atmosphere records show that every time a club moves it increases its fan base by 2-3000 and go on to enjoy success on the pitch

Now might be the right time to be putting it into action, we are on the up look at the likes of Brighton, Blackpool, Cardiff, chesterfield, Rotherham all have new stadium and higher gates because of it

Whoever you look at who have made the move have measured success by the way of increasing their gates or moving up the leagues

The ground space by the new Vodafone building would support a stadium next to the asda roundabout on the a500 it is I believe subject to regeneration money as well so that would part fund any move along with a few shops,restaurants and hotels such like

It could also be a venue if thought out properly for concerts and things like an ice rink facilities that we don't as a city currently have

It just needs the will and the right mix to make it happen!

Absolutely spot on Carpetman, you have to think big to be big, Vale Park cannot hold concerts due to the close proximity of the residents of Lorne Street and Hamil Road and beyond. It would be a safe bet that Robbie Williams would like to play a home coming concert at our newly built stadium if it happened.

Advert

I have always been an advocate of us moving to a purpose built new stadium vale park is old archaic and cold with no atmosphere records show that every time a club moves it increases its fan base by 2-3000 and go on to enjoy success on the pitch

Now might be the right time to be putting it into action, we are on the up look at the likes of Brighton, Blackpool, Cardiff, chesterfield, Rotherham all have new stadium and higher gates because of it

Whoever you look at who have made the move have measured success by the way of increasing their gates or moving up the leagues

The ground space by the new Vodafone building would support a stadium next to the asda roundabout on the a500 it is I believe subject to regeneration money as well so that would part fund any move along with a few shops,restaurants and hotels such like

It could also be a venue if thought out properly for concerts and things like an ice rink facilities that we don't as a city currently have

The idea is great, but people, especially the older ones don't like or want change (Jeff Kent and his mates won't even leave the Bycars). The young will love it, the old would have to lump it but sadly we will never have the money for any of it. We may be debt free but still appear not to have a pot, to do you know what in!

maybe we should seat home fans in the hamil and give railway to away fans.
You fail to comprehend that the vast majority of Vale fans sit in the Railway Stands, some maybe in the upper tier from 1955, but a lot have sat in the former paddock for the last 20 odd years since it became seated. Upset them at your peril.

I think some people have started to get this ass about face.....

We have a team who dont/wont/cant perform at vale park so we spend £20M on a new ground so even more supporters can be disappointed and decide not to come...... what then build another stadium?

If fans wont/cant/dont sing at vale park what makes people think they will at a new stadium?

Do the singing fans only go to away games?.... if not why not stand together at home and sing...... if thats what you want to do.

A new stadium may be all well and good but how many would turn up and pay £20 a time to look at the architecture?... or buy a fresh pie?..... if the team play cack the novelty of a new stadium would soon wear off, the crowds would drop and the club would be left with a sizable debt to service.... you can sing all you want but it wont alter the score if the team fails to turn up and it wont avert the downward spiral that follows.

Spot on.......We have got to be forward thinking its no good standing still, Vale Park must cost a fortune to maintain it was ill thought out in the 50's.

They go on about loud and proud down the road,Vale fans are no different, when you go away from home the closer to the pitch atmosphere is so much better and with say 5k Vale fans breathing down your neck it would certainly give the opposition something to think about.

Vale Park doesnt worry the opposition in fact while we are the top I guess the away team looks forward to turning up and showing us what they can do NO ONE is frightened of Port Vale at Vale Park.

A modern easy to maintain stadium holding 15k would not only generate income it would increase our profile

I'm with Birdy on this one. We don't need/ can't afford a new ground. The most effective solution would be to knock down and clear the Railway/Family stand area. Build a simple Shrewsbury type stand - closer to the pitch which is also moved towards the Lorne St -with steep rake and windshields at both side. Put windshields at the western ends of the Bycars and Hamil and then you have a tidy, compact ground. I reckon this could be done for £3-4 M as there are no expensive corner areas and the the land freed up behind the Railway could be developed.

Something about the Vale ground which is rarely mentioned, the main stand is located on the 'wrong' side. Currently in winter it allows the prevailing winds to blow rain right into it when raining, and if by chance it is sunny then the patrons are blinded.

I'm with Birdy on this one. We don't need/ can't afford a new ground. The most effective solution would be to knock down and clear the Railway/Family stand area. Build a simple Shrewsbury type stand - closer to the pitch which is also moved towards the Lorne St -with steep rake and windshields at both side. Put windshields at the western ends of the Bycars and Hamil and then you have a tidy, compact ground. I reckon this could be done for £3-4 M as there are no expensive corner areas and the the land freed up behind the Railway could be developed.

Something about the Vale ground which is rarely mentioned, the main stand is located on the 'wrong' side. Currently in winter it allows the prevailing winds to blow rain right into it when raining, and if by chance it is sunny then the patrons are blinded.

That would be the next best solution for me,obviously cost is a major factor when moving, the pitch would have to be dug up and re-aligned if a new stand was built........but all this is pipedreams and wish lists, cant seeing any major redevelopment in my life time

You fail to comprehend that the vast majority of Vale fans sit in the Railway Stands, some maybe in the upper tier from 1955, but a lot have sat in the former paddock for the last 20 odd years since it became seated. Upset them at your peril.

Only at vale can you get this kind of awkwardness. Fans of other clubs get relocated to different stands all the time as they change ends. Imagine how many stokies were upset who sat in the boothen end. Vale fans can't move on and the older generations seem to be those holding this club back and stopping it moving forward.

On the front of the main stand i have stated many times that it should have been built on the paddock side of the stadium.

Only at vale can you get this kind of awkwardness. Fans of other clubs get relocated to different stands all the time as they change ends. Imagine how many stokies were upset who sat in the boothen end. Vale fans can't move on and the older generations seem to be those holding this club back and stopping it moving forward.

You might be surprised about the older generation, I know a few and we would go tomorrow, the Railway Stand/Paddock is not particular welcoming on a cold freezing winter night game

You might be surprised about the older generation, I know a few and we would go tomorrow, the Railway Stand/Paddock is not particular welcoming on a cold freezing winter night game

True my bad for sayinmg that but I remember these ones being very vocal at thoughts of us moving everytime which is why we end up stuck at vp because they would bombard any owner to ensure we do not move. The club needs fresh ideas and need to be dragged into the 21sy century. Even the above where we have consider the people who have sat in stands for years who wouldn't even move stands within this stadium. They could sit in the hamil with by far better facilaties.

True my bad for sayinmg that but I remember these ones being very vocal at thoughts of us moving everytime which is why we end up stuck at vp because they would bombard any owner to ensure we do not move. The club needs fresh ideas and need to be dragged into the 21sy century. Even the above where we have consider the people who have sat in stands for years who wouldn't even move stands within this stadium. They could sit in the hamil with by far better facilaties.

If push came to shove the very small number would have to bow to the clubs wishes to move or redevelop,as I have said it wont happen either way because of the usual problem ....Funds

Ok a new gorund would be lovely. But lets look at it from a REALISTIC point of view.

1. Local authority help- its is required for all new stadium developments bar the top premier league clubs. After the recent bail out, do you think the council would risk giving us more money to build a new stadium? I THINK NOT!

2. On a similar train of thought, the local authorites are trying to rejuvenate burslem all be it with a low budget. Why would they assist Vale move away from the town taking away passing trade and matchday revenue for the town?

3. Land values, VP is worth next to nothing in relation to the areas mentioned so theres no income from that type of deal at all. Most new stadiums are part funded by selling valuable land in prime retail locations and buyng cheaper more accessible land outside the town. Vale dont have this.

4. We have a 18000 all seater stadium, yes it has it faults but why move to a smaller ground by 3000 seats? It doesnt make sense All VP really needs is someone to take a look at some issues which can improve the matchday experience; like the reintroduction of terracing (with that cheaper prices for that area), better catering, redeveloping family stand (aka knock it down) and the railway stand in time, at present closing the top of the stand and shifting everyone into the bottom would better atmosphere and noise levels, online ticketing so fans can pick seat tickets if not familiar with the layout, family offers and improved links with sponsors and schools to boost new trade and new potential fans

5. Theres plenty of examples of new grounds working out ok but look at Darlington, Coventry, Plymouth, Morecombe, Doncaster, Colchester and Bournemouth who have faced no increase in gates (some have dropped like Cov, Darlo, Plymouth, Donny and Colchester), no increased team performances (less money spent on the team) and most have financial problems as a result which have affected the team negatively.

All in all now is not the time. If we were on the verge of the Championship it would be more appropriate

Because you have obviously spoken to every fan of every club aswell as all of the 'older generation' to ascertain their views. You speak with such certainty about things that you clearly cannot be certain about. Its even moved onto blaming fans for preventing a move that isn't even on the table!

It's all hot air wind and pish, no one has the money to build a new stadium, the commercial side of Vale park will generate enough income to support the club but hasn't a hope in hell of generating the sort of money needed to build a new ground elsewhere.To re-develop Vale park would cost a fortune, to relocate would cost the earth,what supporters want and what supporters get are light years apart, We've got a ground which the club owns and is debt free which 75% of league clubs can only dream about,and we're in 2nd place and those on here want the club to mortgage it's future when we've only just come out of administration, it's about time some supporters got a grip on reality, Improvements will be made as funds become available,our new owners have to reverse ten years of decline so wind yer necks in wut.:yes:

Archived