onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Time to think about a new stadium?

barkis

New soulless flat pack ground, no way! It would kill off many business's in the area, the Vale is vital if the area is not to implode.

• Knock down the Railway and flatten it off. Fence it off with massive advertising boards.

• Bring the pitch closer to the Lorne Street.

• Finish off Lorne Street. This is relatively inexpensive, considering most of it has been done.

• Medium term ambition would to develop the land where the railway was and build a small (5k) steep stand 20 metres closer to the railway leaving development space behind for housing, commercial or leisure facilities.

• Tommy Cheadles is awful, it needs knocking down and replacing with either a community club/hub/family pub or there needs to be similar provisions within the Lorne Street.

Short term; a three sided 12k stadium

Medium/long term; 17-18k with new Railway Stand.

Advert

Is there a plot big enough to hold a stadium and all the parking and training facilities in one place?

I dont think the doulton factory would hold the ground......

But why do the training facilaties need be in one place that is just trying to make the idea more awkward. Most clubs bar darlington thrive off a new stadium. Vale Park is what holds this club back atm.

New soulless flat pack ground, no way! It would kill off many business's in the area, the Vale is vital if the area is not to implode.

• Knock down the Railway and flatten it off. Fence it off with massive advertising boards.

• Bring the pitch closer to the Lorne Street.

• Finish off Lorne Street. This is relatively inexpensive, considering most of it has been done.

• Medium term ambition would to develop the land where the railway was and build a small (5k) steep stand 20 metres closer to the railway leaving development space behind for housing, commercial or leisure facilities.

• Tommy Cheadles is awful, it needs knocking down and replacing with either a community club/hub/family pub or there needs to be similar provisions within the Lorne Street.

Short term; a three sided 12k stadium

Medium/long term; 17-18k with new Railway Stand.

That would create and eyesore of a stadium and would be a total embarrasment, its bad enough we have had a long term unfinsihed lorne street stand that is embarrasing now you propose having a whole side missing for the fans of other clubs to take the **** out of.

That is what alot can't get their heads around they think a smaller stadium means you are spelling out small for ever where as like with stoke filling the corner in now, is that you build a new stadium suit your needs of the time and then fill in corners or add tiers depent on success. All you ever get is lego and plastic off vales fans when it comes to new grounds, but I think vale fans built a back bone up when stoke moved some out of jelousy and don't want to go back on their statments. It would spell out ambition if we moved to a new ground nothing small. as I have said 100s of times on here is shrewsburys stadium is built in a way it could be increased to a 40k stadium. A new stadium isnt a bad thing at all. But vale fans seem like be in stands built in the 50s with bits of other stadiums including the rec and chesters old stadium. Freezing cold at half time and getting **** wet through. It may actually cost more too reubuild the railway stands than to build a new stadium as its built in a massive hill and that would have to go.
All we need is a business case, I am sure the new owners will study the options. Most clubs move because of a restricted site or ramshackle grounds, e.g Shrews and Rotherham. Vale do not have that problem, and can modernise as finances permit and justify. Wolves stayed where they were like Man U.

That would create and eyesore of a stadium and would be a total embarrasment, its bad enough we have had a long term unfinsihed lorne street stand that is embarrasing now you propose having a whole side missing for the fans of other clubs to take the **** out of.
What did Blackpool do? They built the missing side when they were promoted into the Prem. If we could emulate them everyone would be happy. Walsall played a very long time with the brick wall of a laundry behind one goal, but it was Arsenal who were embarrassed when the lost there in the 30s.

Serious question. Spurs was just before my time and I was too young to remember how the paddock and Bycars coped back when we had 20,000 to watch us play the **** in the cup and hosted crowds in the teens against Everton and Arsenal. How did we cope then?

I suspect that people cared less about facilities those days with more concern for what was happening on the pitch, compared to the brainwashed Premiership generation who attend these days. Nice facilities might suit todays pampered supporters, but I hanker for the days of over filled terraces with the smell of fag smoke in the air, where the only opportunity to have a **** was to roll your programme up and **** through that.

Saying that, the Bycars and Railway are desperate for re-development. Bring that curve twenty feet closer to the pitch with a steeper rake and a total capacity for both stands of around 8/9 thousand. Leave the away end as it is, but naturally bring the pitch closer to that end. Finish the other side of the Lorne Street and turn that into a proper family stand.

Once I win the Euromillions I'll pay the 25 million redevelopment costs out of my own pocket.

All we need is a business case, I am sure the new owners will study the options. Most clubs move because of a restricted site or ramshackle grounds, e.g Shrews and Rotherham. Vale do not have that problem, and can modernise as finances permit and justify. Wolves stayed where they were like Man U.

I live near mollineux and its not a location i'd like a stadium. The problem will be with our stadium is we have our main stand which should be the show piece for people to drive past and see the port vale fc sign etc tucked away behind terraced houses poor planning. Then stands like the bycars and paddock are built into hills so it would cost a bomb to clear them and then build new stands from the ground, atm if you drive past vp all you see is a hill with a scruffy wall that looks more like a mini berlin wall, then you see th hamil road away end that from the outside on hamil road looks like a non league stand.

What did Blackpool do? They built the missing side when they were promoted into the Prem. If we could emulate them everyone would be happy. Walsall played a very long time with the brick wall of a laundry behind one goal, but it was Arsenal who were embarrassed when the lost there in the 30s.

exactly and for many years they were the joke of the league, I am sick of vale being laughed at because of the stadium. Give us something be proud of.

Maybe I'm biased, but the Lorne Street is a brilliantly unique and quiet beautiful stand to look at by modern standards (if only it was completely finished). To move ground after waiting for this end to be finished for 15 years would be a huge kick in the teeth.

I live near mollineux and its not a location i'd like a stadium. The problem will be with our stadium is we have our main stand which should be the show piece for people to drive past and see the port vale fc sign etc tucked away behind terraced houses poor planning. Then stands like the bycars and paddock are built into hills so it would cost a bomb to clear them and then build new stands from the ground, atm if you drive past vp all you see is a hill with a scruffy wall that looks more like a mini berlin wall, then you see th hamil road away end that from the outside on hamil road looks like a non league stand.
We have different views, Wolves, Newcastle, and the Millenium are in perfect positions within stepping distance of the city centres. Lots of people complained when the Vale moved from Hanley, that they had been in the habit of coming into Hanley, dropping the wife off in the shops, going to the Vale, then meeting up again for tea and the pictures. Times have changed I know, but retail parks at the side of the A500 are the only locations for any amount of passing traffic to view fancy stadiums.

Maybe I'm biased, but the Lorne Street is a brilliantly unique and quiet beautiful stand to look at by modern standards (if only it was completely finished). To move ground after waiting for this end to be finished for 15 years would be a huge kick in the teeth.
Since most people are not in Lorne St, that is the view they get, once finished it will be a Championship view, let us hope the team matches it.

We have different views, Wolves, Newcastle, and the Millenium are in perfect positions within stepping distance of the city centres. Lots of people complained when the Vale moved from Hanley, that they had been in the habit of coming into Hanley, dropping the wife off in the shops, going to the Vale, then meeting up again for tea and the pictures. Times have changed I know, but retail parks at the side of the A500 are the only locations for any amount of passing traffic to view fancy stadiums.

When I say near molliuex I can role out of bed and I'm at asda outside there. Yea its near the city centre and I have drank around there on a match day and its tense to say the least especially when they hear my accent. I'm sorry but I can not remember Hanley :P. But I am not saying remove us completetly, one I definitly agree with is bobbymac as yes that would be a kick in teeth in ways as that stand is the reason we have sufferd for years. I just think it should have been built where the paddock is on full show. It is impressive and is smart but hidden away.

I worry more about being laughed at as a football team.

Just spoke to a blackpool supporting friend and they reckon it would be a bad idea for vale to knock the paddock down and leave it empty. They found it highly embarrasing and glad it is a time now over. The only thing I could say on that is to build a smaller stand there closer to the pitch much smaller with a reduced pitch side with a view to increase if needed be. I have just always favoured a new stadium even if it was on the site of the co op next door.

Archived