onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gareth Bale

For Us All

There is another theory emerging about Bale's signing which could be a risk for him. It is that Perez has more than a football interest in signing Bale and is concerned with the business image and reputation of Real Madrid as a world brand. The issue is that Barcelona have signed Neymar for a very expensive fee. Neymar is not only twice South American player of the year and clearly a good footballer he comes with a personal brand and image heading in the direction of Beckham's standing. Real Madrid's income is substantially derived from their world standing in a similar way to Manchester United's. So Perez may be moving to protect this.

Perez in the past has paid huge fees for players. Frankly they were all better players than Bale including Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo etc. Bale is a player that has only started to pop up in their sort of level potentially in the last 6 months and he has never played for a genuinely top club - Spurs are a club striving to improve but have not won a league title for 50 years and not ever been serious competitors in the European Cup / Champions League. How does Bale get in their team - he plays in the type of zones that Ronaldo does, going out wide coming inside, turning up in the centre forward position. Bale would also have to displace Di Maria to get in the team, also an excellent player with similar pace to Bale but who tracks back and defends more.

For Real Madrid they could be building a great side, but they seem to be trying to reach a situation where they have a team full for non Spanish stars and could have a lot of frustrated players who are not first choice - like Bale?

If he had come through the Barcelona youth setup however, or had a Spanish passport, you would be creaming yourself over him.

Advert

So Barcelona have signed Naymar for the same reason? Seems that evrything you mention re RM and Bale could apply to Barca and Naymar?

Well there is a point in what you say, but Neymar has replaced David Villa who has gone to Athletico Madrid. He is likely to play left side front in a 433 albeit that front 3 change positions. This does affect Fabregas who when not in midfield plays left side attack if Messi is playing. The crunch is that Fabregas must play more games in midfield and start seriously to replace Xavi more often in the big games. This is why Man United continue to fish.

If he had come through the Barceloeen na youth setup however, or had a Spanish passport, you would be creaming yourself over him.

Actually I watch La Liga as much as I watch the Premier League. My interest in Barcelona stems mostly from wanting to watch Messi - the best player in the world the last 4 years and the striker who holds the world record for the most goals in a year and in a season in a top league.

i watched Barcelona play their first pre season game away at Bayern Munich who have already played eight games and about to start the season. Barcelona had none of their Spain internationals and lost 2-0. The first half they played the fringe first team players albeit with Messi up front. They looked vulnerable defensively throughout and Mascherano was responsible for being too small on the first goal conceded and Bartra - albeit Spain u21 centre half - still looks a bit inexperienced. So they need a centre half with Puyol still injured. But second half they brought on more of the b/c team players all youngsters and they gave Bayern Munich a hell of game and could have equalised. So Barcelona are likely only to sign a centre half now this window and allow these youngsters to filter through to the first team squad. Meanwhile Real Madrid will have bought a team of foreign players. The approach could not be more different.

How many British players have made a success in La Liga? Will Bale fail like Owen or Woodgate or be a success ala Becks?

That is my concern for Bale. Becks was a commercial success for Real Madrid but not essential to their team as a player. Woodgate had injury problems throughout his stay there. Owen could never rise above super sub or had to play wide right.

Steve McManaman was probably the most successful playing 94 games. He finished up with two La Liga titles and 2 Champions League Winners medals and was good enough to play for a great team that included big Ronaldo and Zidane.

There is another theory emerging about Bale's signing which could be a risk for him. It is that Perez has more than a football interest in signing Bale and is concerned with the business image and reputation of Real Madrid as a world brand. The issue is that Barcelona have signed Neymar for a very expensive fee. Neymar is not only twice South American player of the year and clearly a good footballer he comes with a personal brand and image heading in the direction of Beckham's standing. Real Madrid's income is substantially derived from their world standing in a similar way to Manchester United's. So Perez may be moving to protect this.

Perez in the past has paid huge fees for players. Frankly they were all better players than Bale including Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo etc. Bale is a player that has only started to pop up in their sort of level potentially in the last 6 months and he has never played for a genuinely top club - Spurs are a club striving to improve but have not won a league title for 50 years and not ever been serious competitors in the European Cup / Champions League. How does Bale get in their team - he plays in the type of zones that Ronaldo does, going out wide coming inside, turning up in the centre forward position. Bale would also have to displace Di Maria to get in the team, also an excellent player with similar pace to Bale but who tracks back and defends more.

For Real Madrid they could be building a great side, but they seem to be trying to reach a situation where they have a team full for non Spanish stars and could have a lot of frustrated players who are not first choice - like Bale?

Displacing Di Maria won't be a problem as they are offering him as part of a deal (though spurs don't seem too keen on him).

How many British players have made a success in La Liga? Will Bale fail like Owen or Woodgate or be a success ala Becks?

I'd say McManamann was the biggest footballing success..not sure Becks pulled many trees up on the pitch (so to speak).

Bale for me is perhaps still not at his peak and has a good injury record compared to Owen and Woodgate..no reason to think he won't be fit to play most of the time nor that he can't still get better. If he goes then I just hope he continues to improve and is a huge success

I'd say McManamann was the biggest footballing success..not sure Becks pulled many trees up on the pitch (so to speak).

Bale for me is perhaps still not at his peak and has a good injury record compared to Owen and Woodgate..no reason to think he won't be fit to play most of the time nor that he can't still get better. If he goes then I just hope he continues to improve and is a huge success

His injury record recently has been good, but 3-4 years ago he was nearly loaned out to Nottingham F because of poor form and injuries. As a striker / attacker last season was his first where he made a leading impact with 26 goals in all competitions for Spurs.

But back to where will he fit in. It does not make sense with ith Mezut Ozil, Angel Di Maria, Isco, Kaka, Luka Modric, Karim Benzema and Ronaldo, already in the ranks where would he fit in as an attacker? Isco is in the Spain U21 side and was a star at Malaga - a side that reached the Champions League Semi Finals - who Madrid just signed. He has not gone there to sit on the bench.

Michael Owen did well at Real Madrid, he had a better goals/game ratio than the "Golden Boy" Raul even though Owen was benched much of the time in favour of Raul. The same will happen to Bale if he goes to RM, better off going to Man U as a natural replacement for Giggs.

His injury record recently has been good, but 3-4 years ago he was nearly loaned out to Nottingham F because of poor form and injuries. As a striker / attacker last season was his first where he made a leading impact with 26 goals in all competitions for Spurs.

I don't agree..the season where he scored a hat trick against Inter he also made a serious impact (and I don't just mean that hat trick)

But back to where will he fit in. It does not make sense with ith Mezut Ozil, Angel Di Maria, Isco, Kaka, Luka Modric, Karim Benzema and Ronaldo, already in the ranks where would he fit in as an attacker? Isco is in the Spain U21 side and was a star at Malaga - a side that reached the Champions League Semi Finals - who Madrid just signed. He has not gone there to sit on the bench.

He'll fit in if he shows that he can do more for the team than other players..it's the same for all those other players. However, he does take the risk of not playing regularly cos of the competition

Archived