onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gareth Bale

For Us All

Advert

I put it like this, Messi does not dive and takes a lot more punishment often violent than Bales.

I would suggest there is more diving in La Liga than in any other major European league, the Bundesliga and Serie A are not too far behind. I find watching Spanish football frustrating due to players falling down and writhing around as though they've been poleaxed. Diving and feigning injury were abound in Spanish football In the 60/70/80's and spread in particular to the Bundesligia in the 80's. The diving, feigning injury and general cheating was probably imported into Spanish football with the arrival of many South American Footballers into Spain Iand Italy) in the 50/60/70's.

As for Messi not diving, I don't know which games you watch. I remember Messi comming off the subs bench in his early career against Chelsea in a European Champions League quaterfinal and diving followed by writhing around on the floor and I have seen other times where he has dived/feigned injury so he does have those tricks in his locker.

Spanish football is in a golden age at the moment and they have tremendously gifted players but all have the tricks of the modern game including diving and feigning injuy, IMO Barcelona are masters of these darker arts of football.

Comparing Messi and Bale as per "diving". Messi has a much lower center of gravity than Bale and generally takes many short steps when running and dribblng with the ball and hence can stay on his feet better than Bale. Bale is quicker in a sraight line than Messi and is probably on the limit of his balance when dribbling compared to Messi, hence a a moderate push can send Bale down whereas Messi may be able to ride the push/tackle.

Messi is the best player in the world at the moment but its not accurate to say he doesn't dive.

• 2 months later...

Bale is a risk because the price is high and his success as a player has only really come consistently this season. It looks like Real Madrid are interested, but Bale would have to displace Ronaldo or di Maria. I don't think he is good enough to do that. Of course if Ronaldo goes to United ......

Real Madrid wouldn't be the right move for Bale as he will be stuck on the subs bench as soon as the next Spanish or South American "wonder kid" comes along. If I were David Moyes I would be breaking the bank to sign him for Man U as he is a genuine world class player who will make a difference.

Real Madrid wouldn't be the right move for Bale as he will be stuck on the subs bench as soon as the next Spanish or South American "wonder kid" comes along. If I were David Moyes I would be breaking the bank to sign him for Man U as he is a genuine world class player who will make a difference.

I do think that Bale has the potential to be a really great player. To find out if he is one he needs to leave to go to a club that can challenge in the Champions League and that means there are maybe 8 teams including Man United.

If he wants home cooking and a loving family as his main priority then Spurs is a good option, but sporting wise at the top level they are likely to remain uncompetitive.

• 1 month later...

There is another theory emerging about Bale's signing which could be a risk for him. It is that Perez has more than a football interest in signing Bale and is concerned with the business image and reputation of Real Madrid as a world brand. The issue is that Barcelona have signed Neymar for a very expensive fee. Neymar is not only twice South American player of the year and clearly a good footballer he comes with a personal brand and image heading in the direction of Beckham's standing. Real Madrid's income is substantially derived from their world standing in a similar way to Manchester United's. So Perez may be moving to protect this.

Perez in the past has paid huge fees for players. Frankly they were all better players than Bale including Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo etc. Bale is a player that has only started to pop up in their sort of level potentially in the last 6 months and he has never played for a genuinely top club - Spurs are a club striving to improve but have not won a league title for 50 years and not ever been serious competitors in the European Cup / Champions League. How does Bale get in their team - he plays in the type of zones that Ronaldo does, going out wide coming inside, turning up in the centre forward position. Bale would also have to displace Di Maria to get in the team, also an excellent player with similar pace to Bale but who tracks back and defends more.

For Real Madrid they could be building a great side, but they seem to be trying to reach a situation where they have a team full for non Spanish stars and could have a lot of frustrated players who are not first choice - like Bale?

Archived