onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst vale team ever

It's always difficult if not impossible to make cross gererational comparisons. What I will say though, is that I have never in all my years watching the Vale seen a team that has less fight than the current lot. We have had some players, teams even, over the years that were actually far far less technically proficient than the current squad/team, but at least they would generally give it their all, something that sadly you just cannot say about this lot.

Everything changes and sooner or later the wheel will turn, I just don't know what league we will be in when it does.

Edited by Old School
Grammar
  • Like 4

Advert

I think the absolute pits for me was Dean Glovers team. Midfield pairing of Neil McKenzie and Ross Davidson with Klye Perry and Danny Glover up front, Chris Slater at the back. We were so lucky that season as it was only Luton starting on -30. Rotherham and Bournemouth on -17 and Chester being truly horrific that kept us up.
Neil McKenzie gave my all time worst Vale performance away at Bury. He was like a 6 year old playing against adults.... absolutely dreadful.
  • Like 1

Ripley is one of the best keepers we’ve had since Goodlad (Chris Martin, Joe Anyon, Stuart Tomlinson anyone?)  

Plus I’ve noticed we seem to be really really good in the small patch of grass between the corner flag and the penalty area. We’ve got lots of players who work well there - skilful little runs, low passes into the box. Things that look really promising…

…. and then we are absolute toss everywhere else. Nobody on the end of all this hard work in the corner to put it away and nobody to defend when the ball is given away. 

So hats off to Flitcroft for sorting out the “attacking winger” aspect of our team, but marks off for making everything else worse

Until season is complete they are not the worst Vale team ever .

They have 9 x90 to right the wrongs of the position they find themselves in table .

As of now they are indeed getting very close to been the worst I've watched in all my  years attending Vale Park but until the fat lady confirms it after 46 games we have to hang on to that better days are ahead and they can redeem themselves .

This is not the worst team ever, some of the players can perform a lot better….we have seen some of the players perform a lot better. I think this team is better than the team who went down last time but at least they put up a fight. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think that the problem is that they don't care enough about the club, and why would they since most of them have no affiliation with it. We have recruited an unbalanced squad of journeymen by using the wrong metrics to decide which players we need. 

• Like 1

On 11/03/2024 at 18:02, Santa said:

I saw someone say that we are on a par with the Bruno/Brown team of 2016/17 but not quite as bad as the Foyle/Sinnott team of 2007/08, and I tend to agree.

There have been worse Vale sides in the fourth tier. The Pugh/Tonge axis of evil immediately springs to mind.

The Bruno/Brown team went down with 49 points. This current bunch have 33 with 9 x games to go. This team is far worse.

• Like 5

On 19/03/2024 at 11:02, philpvfc said:

This is not the worst team ever, some of the players can perform a lot better….we have seen some of the players perform a lot better. I think this team is better than the team who went down last time but at least they put up a fight. 

I tend to agree. I've rarely seen a group of players as devoid of confidence as this group, more so since Moore came in. 

Where I do agree with Flitcroft (although it must have been partly his decision) we should never have cancelled games when we were playing well during the international breaks. Created a fixture backlog and we lost nearly all rearranged fixtures. 

The lack of incoming signings in January demoralised the squad and left us weak throughout the side but nevermind, the players can enjoy their matchday dressing room it obviously is helping to attract new players to the club and for them to perform at great heights.