onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst vale team ever

57 minutes ago, Hoppers said:

When youngen scored his first ever goal on Saturday, I'm pretty sure NOT ONE PLAYER went to congratulate/hug him (unless my eyesight is failing me - apologies if I'm wrong) - does that say something about our team unity/"togetherness" 

At least a couple did.

I remember Chislett did and one or two other's but can not remember whi

• Thanks 1

Advert

I think Spunkers has hit the nail on the head re this team,  I too have seen worse on ability but this bunch are just gutless and as a result some lack the brains to do the basics.

I keep mentioning the Bury game 2008 as that season and the year before when we were relegated stick in my mind as being about the worst I've seen on ability.

The side that day:

Anyon, Davidson, McCrory, Stockley, L.Collins, Owen, Richman, MacKenzie, Richards, Dodds, Glover (McCombe and Griffith were on the bench as well). 

I'd say 5 or 6 of them went on to have some better times with Vale and are ultimately remembered as decent players for us(Collins(RIP), Owen, Dodds and Richards) and 3 I think were part of Micky Adams' promotion side a few years later(Dodds, McCombe and Griffith from memory)

The back end of Foyle's tenure, Sinnott and Glover were some grim times, the Macc league game and Chasetown debacle spring to mind as Sinnott's shockers.   But as I said in the previous post even the remnants of that side had their moments, I remember the away days at Shrewsbury(2-1 with Richards last minute winner!), Huddersfield(FA Cup comeback) and Chester there was evidently some effort there as bad as they were in other games.

Edited by Shropshire_Valiant

15 hours ago, JRC said:

Nowhere near. 79 - 81 were the worst years to support the club.

I'm too young for then but I remember the 83-84 team being particularly awful. The likes of Martin Henderson, Gary Pollard and Tommy Gore...

In my time as a Vale fan, this lot, since the turn of the year, is running the class of '83 close...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Shocking times.....

Look at some of these players - Much better than many we have now. Imagine Bernie Wright in this team!!! The Chamberlains, Phil Sproson, Ged Keenan, Peter Farrell, Kenny Beech, Neil Griffiths and of course Tony Sealy. I enjoyed watching this team more than the shambles now. We would currently struggle in non league with the current debacle of a side. I enjoyed these characters much more than the 'weak' majority we have now.

1979-80 season squad

Sqd From Player
  Kenny Beech   Midfielder
  Bill Bentley (ENG) Left back
  Paul Bowles   Central defender
  Russell Bromage   Left back
  Mark Chamberlain (ENG) Midfielder
  Neville Chamberlain   Forward
  John Connaughton (ENG) Goalkeeper
  Trevor Dance   Goalkeeper
  Bob Delgado   Central defender
  Ian Elsby   Midfielder/Defender
  Peter Farrell   Midfielder
  John Fleming   Midfielder
  Neil Griffiths   Full back
  Lee Harwood   Central defender
  Graham Hawkins   Central defender
  Felix Healy (NIR) Midfielder
  Steve Jones   Midfielder
  Gerry Keenan   Full back
  Billy Leese   Central defender
  Terry Owen   Forward/Winger
  Tony Sealy (ENG) Forward
  Phil Sproson   Central defender
  Ged Stenson   Midfielder
  Ken Todd   Midfielder
  Kevin Tully   Winger
  Alan Woolfall   Winger
  Bernie Wright
  • Like 2

I dont think there is one ounce of team unity. Truly awful. I would be dropping Smith and Ripley from the squad entirely. All they do is argue with one another, and it is constant. As soon as something goes wrong no matter who the culprit they cant wait to turn around and gob off at each other. Pair of cokwombles. There is not a chance on earth Ripley passed the so called DH test.

1 hour ago, pete vale said:

Look at some of these players - Much better than many we have now. Imagine Bernie Wright in this team!!! The Chamberlains, Phil Sproson, Ged Keenan, Peter Farrell, Kenny Beech, Neil Griffiths and of course Tony Sealy. I enjoyed watching this team more than the shambles now. We would currently struggle in non league with the current debacle of a side. I enjoyed these characters much more than the 'weak' majority we have now.

1979-80 season squad

Sqd From Player
  Kenny Beech   Midfielder
  Bill Bentley (ENG) Left back
  Paul Bowles   Central defender
  Russell Bromage   Left back
  Mark Chamberlain (ENG) Midfielder
  Neville Chamberlain   Forward
  John Connaughton (ENG) Goalkeeper
  Trevor Dance   Goalkeeper
  Bob Delgado   Central defender
  Ian Elsby   Midfielder/Defender
  Peter Farrell   Midfielder
  John Fleming   Midfielder
  Neil Griffiths   Full back
  Lee Harwood   Central defender
  Graham Hawkins   Central defender
  Felix Healy (NIR) Midfielder
  Steve Jones   Midfielder
  Gerry Keenan   Full back
  Billy Leese   Central defender
  Terry Owen   Forward/Winger
  Tony Sealy (ENG) Forward
  Phil Sproson   Central defender
  Ged Stenson   Midfielder
  Ken Todd   Midfielder
  Kevin Tully   Winger
  Alan Woolfall   Winger
  Bernie Wright

Bob Delgado, Ged Stenson, and Kenny Todd would fit in our squad perfectly at the moment.I think Flitcroft would make them the cornerstone of our team.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Bob Delgado, Ged Stenson, and Kenny Todd would fit in our squad perfectly at the moment.I think Flitcroft would make them the cornerstone of our team.

2 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Mate, any of them would do for me!

1 hour ago, bennymole said:

I dont think there is one ounce of team unity. Truly awful. I would be dropping Smith and Ripley from the squad entirely. All they do is argue with one another, and it is constant. As soon as something goes wrong no matter who the culprit they cant wait to turn around and gob off at each other. Pair of cokwombles. There is not a chance on earth Ripley passed the so called DH test.

Jones is also all too keen to gob off and wave his arms at others, when one of his aimless passes has gone astray.

7 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Anybody on here remember Crewe 1 Vale 5 when Bernie Wright turned into Alan Shearer in the second half. Night match standing on loose rocks behind the goal. Best times ever as a 16 year old....

That is far too back for my age but I do remember beating Crewe 5-1 in a League Cup game at Gresty Road back in the 90's

So the squad that gave us our lowest ever league finishes is better than our current lot, who would struggle in non-League, and we should drop Ripley and Smith and play Perry and Glover up front?

lol