onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who’s to blame?

Powerline

28 minutes ago, lydiatevaliant said:

So plausible that no other League 1 club would ever have appointed him as manager?

That's sort of correct. However, there was an in-house candidate here. In most professional environments I have worked in, a business will seek internal promotion when possible. It often works out and it does avoid all the recruitment costs. 

There are loads of people on here being so called wise after the event. But then can't come up with the 'perfect' external appointment easily. Wait for it!! Of course you'll have the immaculate never going to fail appointment. 

The supporter is entitled to complain. Ok fair enough. I certainly did over Crosby. But at the time, he had done well in temporary roles and his win percentage was pretty much up there with the likes of Micky Adams. 

He's stepped out of his depth in L1 ultimately. 

Advert

Warren. This ain't a pop at you and your opinion is as valid as all of us.

But football is so so different from business. No comparison. 

He was a really poor lazy ill thought out appointment by the owners. Very lazy. Will end up costing them a lot of money ( indeed already has done ). 

If you'd have told me after the playoff final we'd have sacked both Clarke & Crosby within 2 years, after the former had just signed a 5 year contract, I'd have wondered what on God's earth had gone on.

Obviously there was more to it with DC. What went on with him & his family was such a sliding doors moment for this football club. We went from what looked like long term stability & a clearly defined plan, to where we find ourselves now. Scratching around for somebody who's willing to take a risk on their CV by keeping us in League 1. It's absolutely mental & could only happen at this club.

It's a massive "if", but if we can find a way to win a couple of back to back games over the next couple of weeks & get ourselves back up to the relative safety of mid table, I dare say the calibre of the managers we could potentially attract may improve slightly compared to where we are now.

Not many managers worth their salt would want this job right now. We're certainly not going to get a MA or a DC character with Flitcrofts obscene football philosophy.

The club basically interviewed the guy and said we need a-z from you as a football manager...he said no..that's not what a manager does...

...he didn't appoint himself although his comments about what he expects from the team are quite frankly vile in current situation. It still comes back to funding the club and supporting the DoF and "manager/coach"

7 minutes ago, londonvale said:

The club basically interviewed the guy and said we need a-z from you as a football manager...he said no..that's not what a manager does...

...he didn't appoint himself although his comments about what he expects from the team are quite frankly vile in current situation. It still comes back to funding the club and supporting the DoF and "manager/coach"

I’ll be working to give them a football operation to be proud of – demanding excellence as standard and 100 per cent graft and commitment. 

"By the way, I'll be part-time and won't bother assembling a proper squad of players. Ker-ching!"

Didn't sleep very well.....Over thinking things and came up with......

Next time Vale get a genie like Rudge or DC don't put them back in the bottle ! 🙃

Don't mess with the football Gods by changing ends after 70 years they get annoyed. 😱

And for God's sake change our midweek home nights to a Wednesday as clearly Tuesdays don't suit us. 🙈

Back to the league of doom with  Swindon and Walsall.  All of those making decisions at my club should be ashamed. !

I’ve just awoken this morning and for some reason I’m comparing the current situation at Vale to Waco. I know David Flitcroft is our Director of Football but it may as well be David Koresh. It would appear that Flitcroft has intoxicated the boardroom with his messianic mumbo jumbo and they are now under his spell. 
Of course the outside world can see where this is heading, we know how it will end, I just wish it would happen sooner rather than later.

I feel for the Shanahan’s, I have no issue with them owning the club so long as they have the genuine resources to progress and not just play at it. Carol has to realise that what happens on the pitch really does affect people’s lives.

It’s a bizarre thing football, how a hard fought win on a Saturday can lift your mood and keep you dancing into midweek, conversely, we all know what it does to us when we lose.

l genuinely believe that on the whole Port Vale have the best fans in the country. We wouldn’t have to look that far for glory and trophies at other nearby clubs but we don’t go there. We stick with what is ours, we have been happy with our Wembley trips and the odd top player (we’ve had one or two) playing on Vale Park. Nearly 150 years of football without ever playing in the top flight, nobody can tell me we are not the best, most loyal fans in the world.

Koreshcroft needs to leave before the National Guard storm the building.

On 05/02/2024 at 19:53, ollyandpatch said:

Take this with a pinch of salt but I spoke with an ex director from the early 80s today who claims that Crosby had almost no input in any of our signings. Flickcroft said who he wanted and Kevin Shanahan sorted the finance. !

Whilst there are plenty of things to bash Flitcroft with, that's not unusual in a DOF set up generally. 

2 hours ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Whilst there are plenty of things to bash Flitcroft with, that's not unusual in a DOF set up generally. 

No but it demonstrates that our criticism of Flitcroft for rank incompetence in this regard is justified... That's the issue.

The fact the man has gone into hiding since January and sacking crosby. come and front it up. It's pathetic youll get backlash for saying anything and not even sure what he can say but youve created this mess stand up and show yourself. 

1 hour ago, Tamworth said:

No but it demonstrates that our criticism of Flitcroft for rank incompetence in this regard is justified... That's the issue.

I know I'm not defending him, just making the point that any manager who works under a DOF may not have a lot of say in who is actually signed. Its the managers job to pick the team, man manage and chose tactics formation.

I don't like what Flitcroft has done and would rather he left but we can't just sack him for not giving the manager a say in who is signed as that's probably his job.

It's more a case of the quality of player Flitcroft has or hasn't brought in that he should be brought to task on.

Archived