onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Advert

16 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Ask any stoke fan. He hasn't "contributed"(performance or goals) for 2 years.

It doesn’t matter. Stoke has been a graveyard for players for years. He’s not 1st or the last player to be <ovf censored> for the <ovf censored>.

We have no options up front and he will contribute immediately. That’s what we need.

I’m confident he’s going to be a better option than Loft.

• Like 4

Gayles a striker in league 1 surely be a revelation 

Very good finisher for Newcastle part of the reason he struggled at Stoke as away from family living in rented accommodation up Keele I was told maybe he as a place now and may be more settled .

I'd take him Loft 1 deflected goal Gayle scored aplenty for Newcastle utd think in championship surely him and Wilson would tear teams a new one .

UTV 

I don't think we've got an option to be picky anyway. 

We're in the bottom 4. We need players in. You could argue Haaland wouldn't score in our team some games.

But if and it's a big if ...then Gayle would be a good addition. Only a few weeks ago he was still on the bench at Lard. Imagine a conversation with the new manager and they decided to part ways. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Warren said:

Wilson played the full game v Orient on Tuesday and then 83 mins on Saturday v Stevenage. He went off at half time v Fleetwood, but clearly the manager circumstances and player responses in that changing room are in question. 

So, I assert he's very fit but history shows he's injury prone. However, being fully fit makes injury risk lower. Could do with him becoming prolific in the box. 

Arguing that he played one full game this season doesnt take away from my point that we desperately need a striker. I think Wilson is a great player, but relying on just him is not a great plan to stay in the division. 

37 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Conor Wickham would be way ahead of Gayle in my list. Scored a good amount for a shocking team in this league last year. Gayle hasn't scored for at least a year, and was rumoured to be on 40k at stoke. Even at a 10th of that we'd be killing our budget for a player who hasn't done it for a long while.

Granted, anyone's better than no one at this point.

When was the last time Conor Wickham played? Ive tried googling it and the only thing i can find suggests it was last may? If thats the case then hes as good as retired from football? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pvfc1994 said:

Gayle lives locally so it makes sense. And given his rumoured £40k weekly salary at Stoke, it could either go two ways.. He doesn't need the money and wants to score a few goals before he retires, or he wants as much money as possible and we'd have to push the boat out. But at 34, even with his experience, I'd be worried that his legs have gone. 

He isn't on 40K a week....

Apologies. I got his wages wrong. Its actually £60k a week he was on with Stoke only paying £20k towards it

Gayle joined Championship side Stoke on a free transfer in the summer, but Newcastle are still paying most of his salary. It's thought the Toon are forking out around £40,000-a-week to ensure the former Crystal Palace striker, 32, is remunerated as agreed.

2 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Gayle hasn't scored a goal in about 18 months has he? What's the point in that considering the wages he'd likely want

At a higher level at a side that is a literal graveyard for strikers. DF messed up Jan and previous windows / appointments in my opinion. But at this stage we can’t really hope for any better. We’re at least giving it a good go even if too late. Personally though I think Gayle is an unreal signing for a club sitting 4th bottom in league 1 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnDoe said:

Arguing that he played one full game this season doesnt take away from my point that we desperately need a striker. I think Wilson is a great player, but relying on just him is not a great plan to stay in the division. 

When was the last time Conor Wickham played? Ive tried googling it and the only thing i can find suggests it was last may? If thats the case then hes as good as retired from football? 

I made a spelling error with Wilson earlier in the day. Called him Wilkinson. This is what happens when I do two things at once!

You can check through all the games this season if you wish. It will be indeterminant because a fit Wilson will likely give way to a fresh striker from say 70 mins on if starting. Wiki has him involved in 23 games. He's played about half the minutes of Smith, but defenders are less likely to be taken off. My point is that he's got a full game in him right now if needs be. He is therefore very fit. 

Edited by Warren

14 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

At a higher level at a side that is a literal graveyard for strikers. DF messed up Jan and previous windows / appointments in my opinion. But at this stage we can’t really hope for any better. We’re at least giving it a good go even if too late. Personally though I think Gayle is an unreal signing for a club sitting 4th bottom in league 1 

An overall perspective is that the Jan 2024 window has been a quiet one nationally. The top clubs have done little business. This has not allowed a kick off of trades lower down. So, it is difficult to assess what PV has done well or not well because of an inherently stagnant market. 

Edited by Warren
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Warren said:

I made a spelling error with Wilson earlier in the day. Called him Wilkinson. This is what happens when I do two things at once!

You can check through all the games this season if you wish. It will be indeterminant because a fit Wilson will likely give way to a fresh striker from say 70 mins on if starting. Wiki has him involved in 23 games. He's played about half the minutes of Smith, but defenders are less likely to be taken off. My point is that he's got a full game in him right now if needs be. He is therefore very fit. 

And it’s Wilson so he could break down tomorrow, and leave us with a 16 year old. Im not sure why you’re trying so hard to tell me Wilson isnt injured right now. I know that. Added to that is the act hes no a number 9 striker, which we currently dont have. 

Edited by JohnDoe

1 hour ago, Brian Johnson said:

Apologies. I got his wages wrong. Its actually £60k a week he was on with Stoke only paying £20k towards it

Gayle joined Championship side Stoke on a free transfer in the summer, but Newcastle are still paying most of his salary. It's thought the Toon are forking out around £40,000-a-week to ensure the former Crystal Palace striker, 32, is remunerated as agreed.

He does not play for Stoke. His contract with them has ended.