onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

10 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Probably doesn’t suit our system but seems Charlton making a headstart on a clear out for January

He's clearly got an offer somewhere, which could be us as it's close to his home. Don't remember him playing as a leftback but he always tracked back well when we played Crewe and was prepared to tackle. He's certainly an intelligent footballer.  Not particularly quick but a very nice left foot. 

Advert

21 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Also, not seen it mentioned anywhere (even by the club) but Jack Shorrock has joined Stafford Rangers for a few weeks.

Good move he needs to get game time above the youth team and can still train with our first team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JRC said:

Plant isn't wasted in that position as he is neither a clear first choice as one of the 2 10s or at right wingback.  If we'd signed Hume Plant would have relatively little first team experience. Plant has decent pace (not express pace), runs aggressively (though often unsuccessfully) and is prepared to get stuck in. Against that his distribution is often wayward and he lacks the quick feet of someone like Chisslet or Arblaster.  The argument is he is unsuited to the role as he is very one footed, which is his right foot. The positive is he's gained a lot more experience than he would have if a gap hadn't opened up for him to fill. He's also become a little more two footed over the course of this season,  which will be good for him going forward.

you make some good points so i get what your saying in regards to he's still learning & getting game time there as there's much more competition in his natural position so it's a funny one. Remember his performance at Ipswich in centre mid 🔥 he's versatile so a good option to have 👍🏻 

Edited by Vtid

3 hours ago, JRC said:

He's clearly got an offer somewhere, which could be us as it's close to his home. Don't remember him playing as a leftback but he always tracked back well when we played Crewe and was prepared to tackle. He's certainly an intelligent footballer.  Not particularly quick but a very nice left foot. 

Charlie Kirk tore us a new one when he played against at Vale Park for Burton last season.

If he can replicate that again then I would love to see him in a Vale shirt

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Vtid said:

you make some good points he's definitely not a wing back so i get what your saying in regards to he's still learning & getting game time there as there's much more competition in his natural position so it's a funny one. Remember his performance at Ipswich in centre mid 🔥 he's versatile so a good option to have 👍🏻 

Not sure he really has a natural position yet. At Salisbury he played on the left of a midfield 4. I thought his best game was at Ipswich,  as you mentioned in central midfield.  If one of 2 10s is his natural position he's probably 4th choice at the moment.  My personal view is he'll probably make a career as a right wingback.  His versatility is useful as you say; both to the club and the player,  in terms of gaining experience.  I think he'll definitely have a lower league career, if he's to go higher he needs to gain that football intelligence to read a game a couple of passes further ahead. He isn't going to get quicker and it's rare players develop quick feet in tight situations when older but many players develop football intelligence at his age. 

• Like 1

I remember Kirk was Crewe's best player the 2-2 game at their place when Anthony Kay scored that screamer only for him to equalise near the end.  Been a tad injury prone at Charlton but undoubtedly a good footballer on ability(as most that come through the system at Crewe are).  He'd fit right in with our treatment room at VP!😆🫣

33 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Charlie Kirk tore us a new one when he played against at Vale Park for Burton last season.

If he can replicate that again then I would love to see him in a Vale shirt

I think his problem at Charlton was they have played with a front 3, with two direct, fast wide players for quite a few years. He's just not that kind of player. He's a very good footballer who has played a lot as a left winger because he's predominantly left footed.  Crewe and Burton tended to let him drift around quite a lot to influence the game. We never saw the best of Danny Whittaker because we pretty rigidly played him on the right wing. I'd like him at Vale but not if the plan is to play long diagonals for him to chase after, which is essentially what Charlton do with their 2 wide forwards. 

I also suspect Charlton would like to move Connor McGrandles on, who is another very good player in the wrong system.  He was excellent for Cambridge,  who looked to play the ball through him, rather than over him. 

A couple of years ago Charlton went through a phase of signing very good league 1 player; then trying to fit them into a predetermined style of play which didn't suit them. A well respected scout and former manager commented a couple of years ago that you had to be careful with Crewe players because they are coached to play football a certain way and can be very average when moved to more a conventional way of playing for many lower league teams. I suspect Kirk very much falls into that category.  

Just now, Shropshire_Valiant said:

I remember Kirk was Crewe's best player the 2-2 game at their place when Anthony Kay scored that screamer only for him to equalise near the end.  Been a tad injury prone at Charlton but undoubtedly a good footballer on ability(as most that come through the system at Crewe are).  He'd fit right in with our treatment room at VP!😆🫣

He's not really been injured much at Charlton  - they just don't play him.

Ah right was speaking with a Charlton fan at work earlier who told me he never looked like he was 100% fit so assumed he'd had injuries.  For whatever reason it hasn't worked for him there.  Not sure if he'd be a good fit for us or not, we certainly need a left sided player but probably more defensive minded in the wing back role? Grant has certainly given us more balance there the last couple of league games but he's more the "Beckham esque" winger who crosses the ball well/set pieces than one who is going to run at players and take them on.

Edited by Shropshire_Valiant

14 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Ah right was speaking with a Charlton fan at work earlier who told me he never looked like he was 100% fit so assumed he'd had injuries.  For whatever reason it hasn't worked for him there.  

Unfit? Had a few injuries? Sounds like he fits the matrix beautifully. We need space for a new benchwarmer if Wilson leaves in Jan. 

• Haha 1

CK would be an excellent signing, but it would need to be under new management with a new system. I think if he came to us we’d be expecting him to win games single handedly, with the current regime. I’d fully understand him not wanting to come to us after I witnessed the level of toxic abuse aimed at him by a minority of PVFC followers. Stockport, Wrexham and Crewe are probably a more attractive option at the moment than ourselves. 

Edited by Playa Amodores
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

CK would be an excellent signing, but it would need to be under new management with a new system. I think if he came to us we’d be expecting him to win games single handedly, with the current regime. I’d fully understand him not wanting to come to us after I witnessed the level of toxic abuse aimed at him by a minority of PVFC followers.

we don't play a system that suits him, unless we changed our set up he'd play as a number 10 i'd guess 

On 20/12/2023 at 07:28, Vtid said:

He was a first team squad player according to flickers! Another poor judgment, we've got a few great signings right this last window but some of the recruitment has been poor & beggars belief 

Shorrock is only 16 years old, I think we sometimes forget how young he is.

It's wrong to think he's close to a first-team start, I agree with that, but he's so young, he's still got time to develop, improve and hopefully push for a first-team spot. I hope this loan move helps. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, robf said:

Shorrock is only 16 years old, I think we sometimes forget how young he is.

It's wrong to think he's close to a first-team start, I agree with that, but he's so young, he's still got time to develop, improve and hopefully push for a first-team spot. I hope this loan move helps. 

It can't do him any harm that's for sure 👍🏻