onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darlington FC

I’ve recently read that Darlington United (11th tier), will play their home games at the old ground of Darlington FC. It holds 26500 and is the 23 biggest ground in the country and if they were in the EPL it would be the 15th biggest ground. They share with the local rugby team.

Advert

I’ve recently read that Darlington United (11th tier), will play their home games at the old ground of Darlington FC. It holds 26500 and is the 23 biggest ground in the country and if they were in the EPL it would be the 15th biggest ground. They share with the local rugby team.
It can only legally hold a couple of thousand for football matches due to a lack of access and egress from the roads.

12 minutes ago, chickensteve said:
3 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

It can only legally hold a couple of thousand for football matches due to a lack of access and egress from the roads.

TY. I wonder who pays for the upkeep of such a fine stadium. Also I suppose a little envious

40 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

TY. I wonder who pays for the upkeep of such a fine stadium. Also I suppose a little envious

The history is on Wiki. Built by a previous owner of Darlington with very grand ideas, but after a series of admins and relegations/expulsions they are where they are. The ground was bought by the local RFC and I assume they pay for the upkeep and charge rent. Expect it to be mainly standing, 20 years old so would need some upkeep.

Seen Vale play there, was weird, some seats that are now very discoloured with time have never been sat in. Was only two stands open when we played there.

Was built by Reynolds for them with the idea I believe of hosting concerts, don’t think they ever got to hold any though.

9 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Seen Vale play there, was weird, some seats that are now very discoloured with time have never been sat in. Was only two stands open when we played there.

Was built by Reynolds for them with the idea I believe of hosting concerts, don’t think they ever got to hold any though.

It was an astonishingly cack handed construction. A fabulous new stadium which was all seater but had such poor access from the surrounding area that I think at the time I read up on it there had been 1 concert there with a capped attendance (although higher than allowed for football) and the safety certificate for football which as we all know is particularly around times for access/egress was so low that the club couldn't cover costs and it's a reason why Darlington folded. Sad story of a club ruined by a property megalomaniac. 

51 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Didnt the chairman sign a player based on his son purchasing him on Championship Manager.......then he scored against Vale? The ridiculousness of it, but Vale succumbed to it. What a complete farce that was.

Yeah he was a Liechtenstein International released by Basle and was his 12 year old Grandson who had been to watch England V Liechtenstein and was impressed by him so recommended him... in fairness he did well! Franz Burgmeieir, scored the winner against us in the game I went.

• Fosse69 changed the title to Darlington FC

Archived