onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Donnelly 

Pros....he's young. 

Cons.....naive, colour blind, poor distribution, reminds me of Adam Crookes. 

Just because he's from Forest doesn't mean he's good. He's in the main been terrible. 

You’re too generous 

Advert

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Donnelly 

Pros....he's young. 

Cons.....naive, colour blind, poor distribution, reminds me of Adam Crookes. 

Just because he's from Forest doesn't mean he's good. He's in the main been terrible. 

In the wrong position. 

19 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

So I’m effect we signed a player who cannot play to our system, pathetic recruitment then. I do disagree in that I don’t think he can play to any system at division 1 standard, maybe one day but he needs a lot of coaching of a far higher standard than we can offer, his passing is shocking, short or long, he doesn’t read the game well, he’s not fast, not particularly good at tackling. His one good attribute is that he is good in the air but that doesn’t make up for the areas he is so weak. At the same age, Plant is a far better player and prospect. And you are wrong- Donnelly has never played a first team game for Notts Forest.

I'm not wrong. Donnelly has played for them in the EFL cup. Forest won 3-0 v Grimsby.

5 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

So I’m effect we signed a player who cannot play to our system, pathetic recruitment then. I do disagree in that I don’t think he can play to any system at division 1 standard, maybe one day but he needs a lot of coaching of a far higher standard than we can offer, his passing is shocking, short or long, he doesn’t read the game well, he’s not fast, not particularly good at tackling. His one good attribute is that he is good in the air but that doesn’t make up for the areas he is so weak. At the same age, Plant is a far better player and prospect. And you are wrong- Donnelly has never played a first team game for Notts Forest.

He played in the first team in the League Cup early this season. 

7 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

What I'm saying on the passing front is that he's drilled as a left back type player. So I have seen him perfectly capable of playing a nice ball down the line from the left back area. But where he is playing he hasn't got the game yet. He's been thrown in at the deep end. 

This is a slight exaggeration. But suppose Plant was asked to play left wing back. I suspect he wouldn't be getting the glowing tributes he is. But the point is that Donnelly is being played out of position in what I regard as an equally ridiculous way. He is struggling at L1 level where he is being played, but he might well be doing much better at left back / left wing back. 

Our response to injuries to 2 of 4 central defenders post Jan transfer window has been to continue playing 3 at the back. We haven't chosen to change formation. Also I think another factor here is size, we haven't got a big centre half, they are all OK but can't be dominant in the air. 

17 minutes ago, Warren said:

This is a slight exaggeration. But suppose Plant was asked to play left wing back. I suspect he wouldn't be getting the glowing tributes he is. But the point is that Donnelly is being played out of position in what I regard as an equally ridiculous way. He is struggling at L1 level where he is being played, but he might well be doing much better at left back / left wing back. 

Our response to injuries to 2 of 4 central defenders post Jan transfer window has been to continue playing 3 at the back. We haven't chosen to change formation. Also I think another factor here is size, we haven't got a big centre half, they are all OK but can't be dominant in the air. 

Crosby has been quoted that Plant played out of position at Ipswich. 

Where even without rose tinted spectacles he was clearly one of the best performers. 

Donnelly was described as a left footed defender not a left back. I have no first hand knowledge but I'd be amazed if Forest academy or under 23's play an out and out left back. It's not the modern way particularly higher up the food chain you go. 

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Where even without rose tinted spectacles he was clearly one of the best performers. 

Donnelly was described as a left footed defender not a left back. I have no first hand knowledge but I'd be amazed if Forest academy or under 23's play an out and out left back. It's not the modern way particularly higher up the food chain you go. 

To be fair, I looked at the Forest formation on Saturday and it was a back three. I guess my argument is that Donnelly was brought in to compete with Benning at left wing back. 

Some of the comments on here about young players are a disgrace.

Despite what some think word gets around between clubs and players . Why would a promising young player want to consider coming to Vale to run the gauntlet of abuse if they make a few mistakes ? Hardly helps their confidence !

Not sure who some think we can actually expect to sign , once some have it in for a player that’s it no going back however well they do , give it a rest and how about encouraging instead of abusing.

UTV 

Just now, Warren said:

To be fair, I looked at the Forest formation on Saturday and it was a back three. I guess my argument is that Donnelly was brought in to compete with Benning at left wing back. 

Well either way mate the recruitment and track record in that position has been laughable. 

Almost as with the goalkeeper we've gone back to the original choice.

Benning,Hussey,Small,Mcarron ,Robinson and then full circle back to Benning.

5 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

England play a back 4. So too Arsenal, Man Utd and Newcastle. 

6 minutes ago, ValeGez said:

Despite what some think word gets around between clubs and players . Why would a promising young player want to consider coming to Vale to run the gauntlet of abuse if they make a few mistakes ? Hardly helps their confidence !

Not sure who some think we can actually expect to sign , once some have it in for a player that’s it no going back however well they do , give it a rest and how about encouraging instead of abusing.

UTV 

I think there are robust comments. That's it. Football is like that. The confidence of players is overwhelmingly affected by what happens on the pitch. Keep losing, make too many mistakes, lose confidence. 

I don't know whether Port Vale have harmed or developed Donnelly. If he hadn't been used as a saviour centre half and played at left wing back / left back, his development would have been helped much more. 

13 minutes ago, ValeGez said:

UTV 

This is a forum where people can express their opinions, I would not do the same on Facebook, Twitter etc. and if what you say is true, I hope it does get back to him and we do not sign him, he is garbage. Players should not come on the Vale forum, pretty well all the players have been slated some time by someone. UTV.

Archived