onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Clarke Gone

MBE

I can see how it went. DC is very passionate about putting everything into something he believes in to gain as much reward as he can out of it. Obviously he requires the necessary tools to facilitate this and so must have been extremely frustrated by the lack of backing. He needed clarification on where things were going, went in to see Carole and/or Flitcroft and a heated row ensued resulting in his heart being ripped out and his desire being killed.

Advert

On 20/04/2023 at 00:23, Gashead said:

Hi Bristol Rovers fan here, I have been interested in reading the comments re DC sacking. DC is much loved in Bristol, he is a honest manager which I think is why most Vale fans like him too.

To note some of the previous comments in this posting.

DC called out the Rovers board publicly near the end of his tenure as he was frustrated with many false promises and got the bullet for being honest whilst on a bad run, hence I think he kept quiet this time rather than to speak out about the whole situation at Port Vale.

At Bristol Rovers he would literally tell you his frustrations over a pint and be totally honest and genuine about the clubs situation which fans loved, as he so cared about the fans and the club, so passionate as he wore his heart on his sleeve.

I noticed DC signed Taylor & Harrision in January which suggests to me he wanted players who would be on his side and play for him as they were part of Rovers back to back promotion squad. I suggest there was a problem in the changing room for some time with players and back room staff !

I see a lot blaming the DOF flintcroft and while this may have substance , I noticed something that might have not been considered , and wonder if Crosby may have stabbed him in the back as the back room staff were part of the statement, as I noticed no mention of DC in the Crosby interviews from what I have seen. Which suggests they were divided maybe.

I note last season DC watched you lose at home against Rovers 3-1 from the stands and insisted on taking over the good care taker role Crosby had done for the last game, which you beat Exeter which was an amazing result. I wonder if there was an underlying issue with this!

As I think DC feels let down, as he posted on LINKEDIN a picture after his sacking which stated the following.

’People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones !’ He put next to this ‘Agree???’

Anyway, I also think his sacking was a mistake as  good managers go throw bad periods and that’s what’s wrong with football with clubs pushing the past if button. Clubs then go throw turmoil and uncertainty until the next right manager settles in which could be two or three down the line.

I do think you will be safe on 46 points even if you lose all 3 games.

I shall be there Saturday and think a win for you is your best chance of relaxing from a nervous last day. But Rover are back in form and wasted chances in the last two games and should have beat Derby and Wednesday in the last two games. They were both hanging on.

I think you may be in for a very tough game Saturday if we are on it

Anyway, I hope you stay up !

bang on mate

7 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Fair to say the gamble to remove Clarke has paid off.  If there’s a positive from that side of things it’s that he’ll be fondly remembered.  Barring a freak set of circumstances we look safe now so it’s effectively job done. 

Was going to post something similar myself, makes you wonder though if the players downed tools for Clarke.

6 minutes ago, Valiant in Brum said:
13 minutes ago, Conrad said:
Was going to post something similar myself, makes you wonder though if the players downed tools for Clarke.

Do they deserve to stay with Vale after that though ?

I’d say not, in 12 months time they could do the same thing  to the next manager.

On 20/04/2023 at 16:24, blinkme said:

January isn't about replacing who you lose, it's about getting what you *need* (and offloading players to facilitate that)

The general opinion was we *needed* a Lge 1 striker in - which we got, like him or not? 

15 hours ago, Conrad said:

Maybe, or possibly any one or a combination of constant injuries, a loss of confidence and players getting complacent.  I think the fact we could raise our game against the big teams, yet struggle against the bottom sides is quite telling.   Smacks of complacency to me.  The “downing tools” thing is a red herring I feel.  My own view is that the squad just got stuck in a rut and DC struggled to drag them out of it.  Possibly he lost a bit of authority and respect of the players, who knows, but that isn’t quite the same as downing tools.  It’s all speculation.  We’ll have to wait for someone to publish an autobiography, maybe Wozz, no doubt he’ll have a few Vale Tales to tell when he retires in the next few years….

Archived