onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

38 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Interesting to read Bonner, they changed their tactics to alleviate our threats.

Bonner switched to a four-man defence, instead of using wing-backs, and also had experienced Harrison Dunk back in the side for the first time since Boxing Day.

"We felt if we didn't get two players in wide areas we wouldn't be able to stop deliveries into the box," he explained.

"It was a bit risky, because it's such a big pitch, to not play with five in one of your two deeper lines on the pitch - but we also took the risk that we could work more switches of play, we could get dribblers wide to carry the ball and get us up the pitch.

"If we'd played a back three, we'd have probably spent the game in a back five and been a bit cut off from the front of the team. It allowed us to get a bit more control and have really good counter-attacking options and get pace at the top of the pitch."

This one is for you @Guitar Ray

Advert

Bit late for me post match. Needed some perspective.

We were dreadful. All across the pitch. No getting away from that. Even though I don't rate Conlon at this level, and haven't been shy to say that, thought the cheering when he got subbed was embarrassing and idiotic. How on earth is that going to help anyone, not least the players? I also actually thought that he'd had his 2 better games against Portsmouth and Saturday (though he's still way off the required level), so even more confusing for me.

We really miss Garrity. Taylor was poor for me. Donnelly was crap. Pett couldn't get a foothold. Ojo huffed and puffed.

Really liked the look of their number 10 and number 18. Both caused us real problems.

On 03/04/2023 at 08:53, grand prix pants said:

Most of us would have considered staying up in our first season a good outcome. It still will be. The second half of the season has been poor, but staying up can’t be seen as a flop.

Where would you get most people from? Did I miss a census?

3 hours ago, philmpv said:

Bit late for me post match. Needed some perspective.

We were dreadful. All across the pitch. No getting away from that. Even though I don't rate Conlon at this level, and haven't been shy to say that, thought the cheering when he got subbed was embarrassing and idiotic. How on earth is that going to help anyone, not least the players? I also actually thought that he'd had his 2 better games against Portsmouth and Saturday (though he's still way off the required level), so even more confusing for me.

We really miss Garrity. Taylor was poor for me. Donnelly was crap. Pett couldn't get a foothold. Ojo huffed and puffed.

Really liked the look of their number 10 and number 18. Both caused us real problems.

Unfortunately a section of our sad sack supporters think that’s how u treat your captain 

14 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Unfortunately a section of our sad sack supporters think that’s how u treat your captain 

Not only supporters of our club look in the history of the vale and look at the iconic player and manager of our club we had a certain Roy Sproson and see how he was treated by management. Fans pay their money and have the right to air their views without being abusive we all have our favorite players past and present most will differ from me but as long as they wear the black and white of the vale  i will get behind them if they have a shocker don't boo just turn in disgust and walk away till the next match.By the way it will be 4-0 to the vale at Accrington on friday see you all there COME ON THE VALE.

1 hour ago, grand prix pants said:

Good point. I hate it when other people do that. Still think it’s true though.

Fair enough. I thought we would comfortably stay up, sit at mid table with or without any really good signings and then build on a mid table season with what would hopefully be a punch for the play offs in 23/24 season, could see there was 5 or 6 who would sit above everyone else, so for me, this season has been very underwhelming especially how it has ended off.

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

What were your expectations for this season?

I think he's just stating the blindingly obvious personally, after the crap we've seen over the past 6 years

See above, and I am usually level headed, not a happy clapper or full of optimism having watched the Vale for over 35 years.

Fair enough. I thought we would comfortably stay up, sit at mid table with or without any really good signings and then build on a mid table season with what would hopefully be a punch for the play offs in 23/24 season, could see there was 5 or 6 who would sit above everyone else, so for me, this season has been very underwhelming especially how it has ended off.

We are on course to do all 3 of the things that you expected this season though?

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

We are on course to do all 3 of the things that you expected this season though?

What 3 things?

Finish mid table? Ain’t going to happen.

Have a push for the play offs next season? No chance

Cant see what the third thing we are on course for except maybe about my prediction of 5 or 6 teams fighting it out for promotion but I didn’t say which teams 😛

What 3 things?
Finish mid table? Ain’t going to happen.
Have a push for the play offs next season? No chance
Cant see what the third thing we are on course for except maybe about my prediction of 5 or 6 teams fighting it out for promotion but I didn’t say which teams 

We're 1 point off 14th and 5 off 13th. What are you classing as mid table as, for me, anything between 11th and 16th is mid table. I don't have your crystal ball so I can't say whether we will or won't challenge next season. If we improve season on season, I'll be happy

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

We're 1 point off 14th and 5 off 13th. What are you classing as mid table as, for me, anything between 11th and 16th is mid table. I don't have your crystal ball so I can't say whether we will or won't challenge next season. If we improve season on season, I'll be happy

Now that is half full. There is 23 teams in the division, I would say 9th-15th is mid table. We currently sit 17th, I will be amazed if we finish this high in the table come the end of the season.

Now that is half full. There is 23 teams in the division, I would say 9th-15th is mid table. We currently sit 17th, I will be amazed if we finish this high in the table come the end of the season.

I could have sworn there were 24 teams in the league.

If you look at it very simply, and break the sections of the table down into upper third, mid third, and bottom third, 1-8 is the upper table, 9-16 is middle third, and 17-24 bottom third. So, for me, we're currently in the bottom third, but only by GD. You're entitled to your own opinion as to what you class as mid table of course.

With 7 games left and being a point off 14th you'll be amazed if we finish at least 15th? Now that's glass almost empty!

Archived