onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rico's Rumours and other updates

Chris 84

I hope to god that isn't true.

Although it was mentioned by Adams that one of the players had already agreed a contract with anther club, where and how have Northampton come into all this money?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17679719

Looks like Northampton have got fairly big ambitions for next season (considering where they ended up this season) and maybe are banking that the sale of Michael Jacobs to a "big club" will bankroll some of those lofty ambitions? Aidy Boothroyd is a decent manager and I felt he was a bit unlucky during his time at Coventry. He has done wonders with Northampton to keep them in the league this season considering the Gary Johnson debacle that he was left to pick up the pieces from.

No one could blame Rico if he went for a higher wage at this stage of his career. He's been a loyal servant to the Vale and although he's had his critics on the pitch he has consistently banged in the goals, which doesn't mean he's irreplaceable but means we will be lacking that stability up front come the start of next season unless MA brings in a proven goalscorer or two preferably from higher up the leagues. We could do worse than someone in the mould of a Freddy Eastwood who's just gone back to Southend. Proven goalscorer in lower leagues- didn't really cut it at Championship level with Coventry but was a bit unlucky with injuries.Let's face it where else are the goals going to come from within the current set up?

Advert

Marc Richards owes Vale nothing. He may be extremely fond of the club but realistically if a better team than Port Vale comes in for him, in which there are plenty of, then the chances are he'll go, it's as simple as that.

If a club that isn't any bigger or better than Vale, like a Cheltenham, makes a move for him then the chances are that he'll stay as he's done in the past.

You're looking at is as a fan not a professional footballer. I agree he'll probably want to keep his family where they are but apart from that he'll go for the biggest most lucrative contract. The fact that they may play in front of a few less spectators won't bother him one bit I suspect. And as for his big reputation amongst Vale fans I hope he doesn't read OVF plenty of negative Richards comments on here................

I'm basing this on what's happened in the past, how he's made his decisions and what seems to make him tick.

I'm not saying he won't go, I just don't think it's as basic a theory as you're making out.

One thing for certain is that it'll be one step forward with the takeover, two steps back if we lose Richards. It's going to take some serious money to provide a team with with 40 goals and I don't think we'll be seeing that sort of investment in the short term.

I'm basing this on what's happened in the past, how he's made his decisions and what seems to make him tick.

I'm not saying he won't go, I just don't think it's as basic a theory as you're making out.

One thing for certain is that it'll be one step forward with the takeover, two steps back if we lose Richards. It's going to take some serious money to provide a team with with 40 goals and I don't think we'll be seeing that sort of investment in the short term.

Well if he'd scored anywhere near 40 goals I'd agree with you. Even if Rico stays we need at least two regular goalscorers topping that. The top 3 scorers for Vale in the league this season put together only amount to about 33 goals between them and that's with Rico in the side. I think he misses a regular strike partner and some decent wing play to create the goals. The fact that he's scored so many goals with what has amounted to pretty poor support, I guess is a testament to his goal scoring pedigree, but we need more firepower to kill off teams if we are gonna make a push for promotion next season. This has been our problem for a few seasons now- maybe once a season we will turn some team over but we just don't score enough goals on a regular basis. Popey doesn't score enough for a striker, , that's why someone like a Freddy Eastwood would be the perfect foil for Rico. MA's plans for who else he is planning to bring into the side will clearly influence Marc's decision to stay as much as the cash on offer from any other club.

Good post that m8 I tend to agree people will say well who u going replace him with well two players who can fire us to promotion not one.

I'll use a example Joey Barton (leaves Newcastle some stoke fans say not me that he is or was there best player ) look at Newcastle now they r terrific.

Don't base a whole team on one player,think about the overall games u have witnessed first hand and the many home defeats (average 8-9 every season)and try and tell the 2500 folk who no longer attend that these players were good enough .

Sorry RICO lovers No!

Not going to try and rationalise with you about football as its obviously pointless, especially considering you think pope and rigg/Williamson are better options.

If we can get better in then fair enough, however I won't hold my breath on current evidence.

Marc Richards has had more than a dozen strike partners since he's been here and has not struck up a good partnership with any of them and played mostly at this level so why would a guy who only scores tap ins and penalties be worth keeping.

Get rid, we've stuck with him too long, let's build a team for promotion.

Brilliant, because we partner our top scorer with useless players who couldn't even score a tap in, then your logic suggests we get rid of the better player. As long as they run around a lot then that's ok!

Well if he'd scored anywhere near 40 goals I'd agree with you. Even if Rico stays we need at least two regular goalscorers topping that. The top 3 scorers for Vale in the league this season put together only amount to about 33 goals between them and that's with Rico in the side. I think he misses a regular strike partner and some decent wing play to create the goals. The fact that he's scored so many goals with what has amounted to pretty poor support, I guess is a testament to his goal scoring pedigree, but we need more firepower to kill off teams if we are gonna make a push for promotion next season. This has been our problem for a few seasons now- maybe once a season we will turn some team over but we just don't score enough goals on a regular basis. Popey doesn't score enough for a striker, , that's why someone like a Freddy Eastwood would be the perfect foil for Rico. MA's plans for who else he is planning to bring into the side will clearly influence Marc's decision to stay as much as the cash on offer from any other club.

I was referring to the fact a 20 goal forward needs to be on our shopping list before considering the departure of Richards....if he goes than we're looking for 2

Brilliant, because we partner our top scorer with useless players who couldn't even score a tap in, then your logic suggests we get rid of the better player. As long as they run around a lot then that's ok!

Totally agree with you. I think we can build a team with Rico in it by just partnering him with some quality, rather than makeshift strikers and players who ultimately put a lot of effort in but don't achieve a lot over the 90 minutes. To be honest I 'd rather us have a lazy strker who could bang in 20-25 goals a season but who gelled with his strike partner. A partnership that is greater than the sum of the individual parts. I remember a lot of Vale fans moaning at how lazy Constantine was when he was here but he certainly scored some goals for us. He wouldn't have scored so many though if it wasn't for his partnership with Sodje and that's the kind of support Rico needs if he is to stay in my opinion.

Good post that m8 I tend to agree people will say well who u going replace him with well two players who can fire us to promotion not one.

I'll use a example Joey Barton (leaves Newcastle some stoke fans say not me that he is or was there best player ) look at Newcastle now they r terrific.

Don't base a whole team on one player,think about the overall games u have witnessed first hand and the many home defeats (average 8-9 every season)and try and tell the 2500 folk who no longer attend that these players were good enough .

Sorry RICO lovers No!

So its Rico's fault that fans are staying away? :blink: Which stand do you sit in? You must com out with some blinding comments.

If Rico is to leave then I am sure we could find a decent replacement given the increased budget and that he is our top earner. If someones opinion is to encourage getting rid of him, in my mind they don't deserve an opinion.

Sorry RICO lovers No!

So it was all to do with joey barton leaving that made newcastle brilliant this year? Nothing to do with the 35m they got for carroll being spent on quality players like cisse and ba?

By your logic if Man Utd sell Rooney they will do the quadruple next season?

I have no idea what you base your argument on at all......

Rico is one of our better players, if we are going to go up we need to replace the worst players with better ones, not take risks on replacing 50 goals in 3 seasons strikers with chancers which is what I think you want to do.

Thank god you are not the manager that's all I say, I reckon we would have lost a lot more than 2500 fans if you had have been.

Doesn't Rico live Rugeley or that way?

Like I say to Shrewsbury fans who mention it, if he is settled with a missus and a couple of young ones he'd be commuting further from that area of Staffordshire to Shropshire so unless any increase in pay is pretty big why would he go there? A percentage of it would be gone in petrol/car wear and tear to start with.

Maybe footballer's don't think like that but even if I wasn't a Vale fan(n wasn't bothered if he stayed or went) it comes into it, unless he's prepared to move house!

So is midtable ok with u then it doesn't seem to be ok with the missing thousands.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion I pay me money I'll say what I want on here at the games I encourage all the players including RICO.

I dont think Williamson and Rigg are better they can go too if better is available because at times they have been quite dreadful also.

Popes too slow I agree but he always gives his all and I admit I want him to succeed cause he is one of us ( vale fan from a vale family).

Richards is average in my opinion for what we pay him we can get better,if he stays I hope we can find the right partner for him ,if he goes good luck to the bloke.

I will back all the players every game I attend and if stays I will back him as always have done.

Maybe a cup run with the new broom is what's needed.

Would much rather get rid of Pope than Rico.....he doesn't score, never has never will, not good enough.

Do you really believe that one of the reasons we have finished midtable for 3 years is Ricos 50+ goals contribution?

Pope gets forgiven a lot because he is a Vale fan. His scoring record is appalling and we shouldn't be discussing who we replace Richards with but who we partner Richards with. There's no team in League Two that wouldn't want a goalscorer of Richards' quality in their team.

Archived