onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Premier League Clubs Just Don't Get It

wotsyobeef

What planet are they on?

Its not their place to dictate the rules of other competitions that they are not part of.

They destroy some of the lives of those that they release having paid them a ridiculous wage and taken away their opportunity of gaining experience in their early 20s.

Advert

I'm glad someone posted that as it made me livid at the time.

It's bonkers that they think they can say to other clubs - do this because it will benefit our youngsters. If I were a Championship club I would tell them no - and stuff their payments. It's those very payments that bring issues as clubs get more money than others and others overspend to compete. And they can also get their B sides out of the FLT Trophy too!

I doubt that will happen but what also disturbs me is the idea that the govt agrees with this - that somehow the brave PL clubs are the protectors of the country's youthful future. Not that in reality TV rich clubs have hoovered up loads of young kids and many of which get dumped - so the PL are actually damaging our future prospects by not nurturing all the young players they have. 

On the flipside, if they were at a smaller club they may have progressed quicker. Exeter are a shining example of why youngsters get a better chance at a Football League club that is prepared to promote youth. Wheras Chelsea and Man City must release dozens of youngsters who haven't been given a chance every year.

If the PL and the govt were actually serious about developing future football stars there's a simple solution rather than this rubbish - just take the solidarity payment from the PL and invest the whole lot in FL club academies. No financial mismatches through parachute payments any more and no overspending by other clubs to try and compete. No need for rules on U23 players and B sides in the FLT.

Investing direct in FL youth academies will, I'm sure, start producing a whole crop of youngsters at FL clubs who can progress into first teams, get valuable experience and then potentially be sold on to bigger clubs. At the same time, put limits on PL youth sizes to stop them hoovering up talent and put in place rules to prevent bigger clubs poaching players without adequate compensation. You revamp the old "get them young and sell them on" system and suddenly FL clubs have another way of generating income, well-run clubs with good academies are rewarded with the odd big payday, the playing field is a lot more level etc.

That sort of thing is a much easier and better plan than the one proposed but it won't happen because there's no benefit to the PL. The only reason the PL have proposed this is because they get to keep the talent and get the FL clubs to do the nurturing for them. It's nothing to do with the PL thinking of the future of the game, but once again, only of themselves.

As usual the PL are trying to bribe real football clubs rather than looking closer to home.

Its simple really. If they really gave a <ovf censored> about player development introduce the homegrown clause in your own bloody league. Limit the number of foreign signings. Stop the stockpiling of young talent. Actually give your young players opportunities.

When you look at some of the money paid to young players its staggering. I could not believe Tyler Walker is on 7k ! I suppose we will be lining up against players on 20k plus for league 1 football ! Crazy and not sustainable. The gulf between the haves and havenots is getting wider .

1 hour ago, bomber said:

When you look at some of the money paid to young players its staggering. I could not believe Tyler Walker is on 7k ! I suppose we will be lining up against players on 20k plus for league 1 football ! Crazy and not sustainable. The gulf between the haves and havenots is getting wider .

Yeah, but in this league, I suspect the haves are also have nots. Their financial "planning" is a mess and they go into administration and wait for the next sucker to bail them out.

• 2 months later...

Well Klopp and Guardiola just don't get it!!Their behaviour on Sunday was a disgrace,especially when  Merseyside had cancelled all youth football for the weekend the day before to raise awareness of the abuse referees in the league are facing from parents and coaches from its under-sevens league up to the under-16s league.

Well done I'm sure your behaviour will help their cause?

Archived