Manager Poll

Manager Poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Askey in/out

• In
    • Out

4 minutes ago, Ron C said:

If it ever becomes clear that we are spiraling downwards, then I would be wanting change. That is not the case at the moment. Ups and downs is what we are being served. That is football. If we were being treated to a massive budget then I would expect much better.

Regarding Shrewsbury and Macclesfield, I think I'm right in saying that he had a massive trading surplus. Even though most appear to be free transfers at this level, he appears to be able to sell players on for profit. All part of building a club. Re-invest in appropriate risk/reward deals.

Fair enough. I’d say the way we have dropped is quite alarming and personally I don’t think askey can change it. Let’s hope he can starting saturday

• Like 1

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Utterly disgusted with this topic. We have very short memories. We have a squad that is capable of competing. We are mid-table. Those who think they know more than a manager who has won titles at

JA came to PVFC and saved us from possible relegation in 2018/19 season, we were dire and had been for a few seasons. Turned Vale around and  almost certainly would have got Vale in the play-offs in t

Askey has won one title, in the level below. 'Titles at every level' is blatantly incorrect. He's also won a Cheshire Senior Cup, and came 2nd in an FA Trophy. No idea where you've got that fact from.

10 hours ago, Joe B said:

Lloyd. Evans. Archer. Maddison. Kennedy. Browne. Mills. Whitehead. McKirdy. Robinson.

Are you related to Askey? This is one of the most outlandish claims I've ever read.

You say Browne but many on here did like him,so just because he left doesn't make him <ovf censored>,i aren't sticking up for Askey on his pap signings as of course he has had some,many were signed under the blue one regime.

Those last four apart from maybe Robinson nobody on here as i can remember moaned when we signed them as they all had decent records at this level,Mckirdy(yes we know his reputation) was carlisle top scorer,Robinson had a better goals per minutes ratio in this league last season than Doyle,Whitehead whilst not a regular was a steady midfielder with an eye for goal at the time and Mills was rated by Oldham fans etc....what i do agree with is they have been <ovf censored> upto now for us. All this is only my opinion of course

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

Askey has signed 21 players: Maddison, Crookes, Kennedy, Brisley, Burgess, Lloyd, Evans, Hurst, Taylor, Amoo, Browne, Cullen, Bennett, Archer, Rodney, Mills, Whitehead, Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Visser, McKirdy, Clark.

Serious question; if the whole squad is fit, how many of them make the first 11? In my view, it's Amoo and Rodney and you stop there. There are possible arguments for Fitzpatrick and maybe Burgess but I'd turn to Montano and Conlon in turn. In my view it's not good enough, and a mid-table budget shouldn't factor into this as teams with much less money than us manage to do much better.

I accept that you have to sign some rough gems, but Rodney looks to be the only example of this, and Hurst possibly (though it's very early to say yet).

So people are saying his recruitment has been shocking,now for me Maddison(never got a chance because of Brown),Crookes(had some decent games but has been poor at LB,jury still out for CB as not played there enough for us),Kennedy(poor),Brisley(i like him and hasn't really let us down when playing,sooner see him than legge at the moment),Burgess(surprise package last season,not as good this BUT has the potential no doubt),Lloyd(a shocker),Hurst(a real find imo,has a lot of potential),Taylor(i think we all wanted him back and still do if the old taylor from last season,again a find),Amoo(not been my favourite but has grown on me,rated by many on here),Browne(as i said a lot on here wanted him to play instead of Amoo,didn't often perform badly but i wouldn't say he was poor),Cullen(again not my fave but we cant argue with his record before joining and for us,just cant stay fit),Bennett(now he is a weird one,has had some good games and some shockers but sold on for a profit so there you go),Archer(another many on here were happy with when we signed him but again he wasn't given a run in the team so jury was out on him),Rodney(now i do think he will be a Gem of a find and the kind that Carol wants,one of my favourites is Rodders),Mills(WAS a steady attacking full back for other teams,i cant remember many moaning when we signied him thinking he would be decent cover been poor for us though so far),Whitehead(attacking midfielder with an eye for goal,we haven't really seen a lot of him here and hasn't had a run in the team,he has been poor in the games he has played though,again a few groans but not many when he signed),Theo(plenty of groans when we signed him mainly due to his previous time here and not his record for colchester etc,he is another who has been poor BUT not had a run in the team),Fitz(he has grown on me becoming a steady LB for us,so imo not poor),Visser(we have seen he has been very good when he has stood in for Brown and i wouldn't be worried if we rested Brown and played Visser),McKirdy(Carlisle's top scorer last season with a reputation,a gamble not had a run of games but has been poor for us),Clark(wasn't he an Aspin signing originally but either way again one all of us wanted,something not right as not the old clark we know)..... so overall and these are my opinions on signings i cant see that WHEN SIGNED they are as poor as some make out,whilst playing for us is  a different matter,again not sticking up for Askey as the run we are on his shocking tbf BUT the stick he has for all his recruitment is sometimes unfounded

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It is 100% accurate of me to say the players are MAINLY at fault.  If you disagree I suggest you've either not watched the games or never played competitive football yourself, or both. Some of the errors are pub league stuff.  I would be moaning if I saw iton a Sunday morning. Example, getting consistently done by long balls over the top.  Askey has made mistakes for sure, who hasn't, but at the most basic level if a player completely misses the target from 6 yards out the manager has little control other than to drop said player, and that's if injuries permit.

No doubt whatsoever the players are culpable too but why does JA keep picking the same players over and over again who continue to make the same errors? Its not like we don't have other options. 

Imagine your in the squad, you see the player in front of you performing poorly and/or making basic errors. You would expect to be given a chance in the team. How demotivated in training and pissed off would you be at not been given the chance?

The lack of squad management is why JA is at fault to allow the situation to develop with the player. We need to to get competition back into the squad to raise the performance levels. We either have to ship out 5 or 6 and replace with 3 or 4 1st teamers or change the manager. It has to be one or the other unless we want to limp along until the end of the season.

• Like 1

Advert:

9 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Keep accepting this below average trash. It’s no wonder we are stuck in this division 

your post re askeys signings. What a load of rubbish. His signings have been dire. 

Thats totally your opinion and everyone is entitled to that,i have had my say on his signings and how i see it(which is my opinion) so to say his signings have been dire then yes a few have(for us).

Out of interest what will you accept moving forwards? This downwards spiral that we are on to continue? What would it take for you to think askey needs to go? 

There is no doubting that we are on a downward spiral and anyone who thinks otherwise has lost it BUT can it change of course it can,if there is unrest off certain players that wont help,do i want him gone? well being honest at one time i said no but i aren't fussed either way now,i am tired of watching us lose and the way we are losing but always hopeful that will change but at the end of the day it will be Carols decision as its her money and her club and i back her in whatever,if its true that she has recieved abusive emails and messages then that is bang out of order from people with a brain the size of a pea.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I’d say the way we have dropped is quite alarming and personally I don’t think askey can change it. Let’s hope he can starting saturday

Saturday will be a massive game for him and i am sure that no true vale fan would want us to lose just so askey would lose his job,it is probably his last chance with me and possibly carol as well,you cant keep going on the run we are on and anyone new would need the transfer window.

On a side note fans who moan that he brings in players he has worked with well in reality the majority if not all managers bring in players they trust and who they have worked with at previous clubs but some will be better than others.

13 hours ago, Ron C said:

You make a valid observation. The problem is that 3 of our highest earners are in that bracket. Brown, Pope and Legge. Will you be the one to say get rid of them? Brown and Legge were immense last year and part of the backbone of the side.

With building squads, it's all risk v reward. You need some outlandish risks to come off but also need to pay for stability. His signings this summer were pretty much all low cost and therefore low risk. Just maybe, the players that he really fancied weren't available. You don't over-pay for someone who isn't a guaranteed product. I have faith in his signings. His outlay is low and he's already made a profit just off selling Bennett. His track record speaks for itself in the transfer market. He uncovers gems. Even in his short spell at Shrewsbury he made them a fortune. I think he left them with something like £3m transfer surplus.

I don't think now is the time to throw too much mud at him. He'll be hurting more than anyone.

Ron, firstly he purchased Bennett who I didn’t rate and still think it was the best bit of business that he did because I was shocked anyone would want Bennett.

The point you make about how he had a £3m transfer surplus, who were these players, can you name them.? There was Okenabirhie who he signed from the Daggers and sold to Doncaster, reported to be for £75k, I do not take all reported transfers to be accurate, but £75k is a long way from £3m.

i find your posts have depth to them and enjoy hearing others POV’s but please stop abusing others. TY

Merry Christmas, bless all the ppl who  wear black & white.

14 hours ago, Joe B said:

Askey has signed 21 players: Maddison, Crookes, Kennedy, Brisley, Burgess, Lloyd, Evans, Hurst, Taylor, Amoo, Browne, Cullen, Bennett, Archer, Rodney, Mills, Whitehead, Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Visser, McKirdy, Clark.

Joe, I think its a little unfair to judge JA on ALL of these signings. You have to remember in the first transfer we needed a change in culture after the disaster of Aspin. JA basically went out and signed squad players he trusted to do a job to fill a gap here and there when needed. That was the right thing to do at that time.

I would give him a free pass on signings like Lloyd and Evans for that reason, although it certainly doesn't excuse poor signings since. Not to improve the 1st eleven excluding Amoo and potentially Rodney Is alarming.

• Like 1

Advert:

15 hours ago, sinnott2spinnit said:

Surely this can’t be true!!!

It isn't true. Them and West Brom had a few wobbles but were always top 3 for the majority of the season. 

We are miles behind the top 3. Complete fabrication by the poster 

For the record their lowest position all season long was 5th !! 

Edited by darren1810
Additional text
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Ron, firstly he purchased Bennett who I didn’t rate and still think it was the best bit of business that he did because I was shocked anyone would want Bennett.

The point you make about how he had a £3m transfer surplus, who were these players, can you name them.? There was Okenabirhie who he signed from the Daggers and sold to Doncaster, reported to be for £75k, I do not take all reported transfers to be accurate, but £75k is a long way from £3m.

i find your posts have depth to them and enjoy hearing others POV’s but please stop abusing others. TY

Merry Christmas, bless all the ppl who  wear black & white.

I'm not an expert on all his signings but going off club accounts and what friends tell me (ones that I have a lot of trust in) his time at Shrewsbury was very profitable for them. Admittedly, due to the length of his tenure, they are likely to be sales of Hurst's players. Shrewsbury have hardly been more successful since he left - so his signings must have been OK and cheap.

Stop abusing others? Funny how they can abuse our staff but can't take it back. No real nastiness intended, just frustration at how we all find it palatable to attack the club when it is currently in the safest hands we've had for years. I find it distasteful, at best. I think we should all be united for the best for all of us. Funny how fickle football can be and yet how thin skinned we can also be.

Bennett was a great deal. I think you'll find he kept Macclesfield afloat with deals like that.  Signings take time to bed in. Some will fail miserably and succeed elsewhere while others may never fulfill their promise.

Merry Christmas. Here's hoping our form rebounds sooner than later.

15 minutes ago, Ron C said:

I'm not an expert on all his signings but going off club accounts and what friends tell me (ones that I have a lot of trust in) his time at Shrewsbury was very profitable for them. Admittedly, due to the length of his tenure, they are likely to be sales of Hurst's players. Shrewsbury have hardly been more successful since he left - so his signings must have been OK and cheap.

Stop abusing others? Funny how they can abuse our staff but can't take it back. No real nastiness intended, just frustration at how we all find it palatable to attack the club when it is currently in the safest hands we've had for years. I find it distasteful, at best. I think we should all be united for the best for all of us. Funny how fickle football can be and yet how thin skinned we can also be.

Bennett was a great deal. I think you'll find he kept Macclesfield afloat with deals like that.  Signings take time to bed in. Some will fail miserably and succeed elsewhere while others may never fulfill their promise.

Merry Christmas. Here's hoping our form rebounds sooner than later.

Yes, I hope our form does rebound and there’s no one more fickle than football fans. He did keep Macc afloat with deals like that but he’s struggling to do it at a slightly higher level. Obviously we trust in K&C because they saved our club and having to pay an over inflated price then the purse strings need to be tightened.

i don’t think JA helps himself with comments like I’ve lost ten games before when we’d only lost six at that time including to KLT. There aren’t too many managers that would get the backing off the owners like JA has had. I wouldn’t want us to turn into a Watford as you’ve got to have continuity to become a successful club.

Yes he did well last season and were riding on the crest of a wave until it was curtailed early. I think you’d agree that we’re a bigger club than Macclesfield Town, which magnifies the hurt felt when we couldn’t beat them.

Lets see how we go on against Barrow and take it from there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

It isn't true. Them and West Brom had a few wobbles but were always top 3 for the majority of the season. 

We are miles behind the top 3. Complete fabrication by the poster 

For the record their lowest position all season long was 5th !! 

Thanks for that. I hope the original poster wasn’t trying to compare our current situation to the Leeds success of last season or worse still, comparing Askey to Bielsa. The closest we could to get him, is his seat!!!

Edited by sinnott2spinnit
  • Like 1

No doubt we have a better squad than last season. Even first 11, Rodders is a definite upgrade on Bennett. On the flip side we're missing Gibbo and a fully firing Mitch at full back. And some players standards have slipped.

So we are definitely under achieving. Seems like we can defend alright and create nothing, or create and leak like a sieve at the back.

I'm not for pulling the trigger on Askey, unless we end up looking like we are going to get into relegation trouble. Mainly because switching managers is always a bit of a shot in the dark. You could argue this is too cautious a view, which is fine.  But Askey and his players have to up their game soon or there will be trouble at th' mill. 

Fingers crossed things pick up. 

• Like 3

Advert:

12 hours ago, MBE said:

No doubt whatsoever the players are culpable too but why does JA keep picking the same players over and over again who continue to make the same errors? Its not like we don't have other options. 

Imagine your in the squad, you see the player in front of you performing poorly and/or making basic errors. You would expect to be given a chance in the team. How demotivated in training and pissed off would you be at not been given the chance?

The lack of squad management is why JA is at fault to allow the situation to develop with the player. We need to to get competition back into the squad to raise the performance levels. We either have to ship out 5 or 6 and replace with 3 or 4 1st teamers or change the manager. It has to be one or the other unless we want to limp along until the end of the season.

It's not quite that straight forward, in many games we haven't had options in many positions.  We've seen players isolating, out injured, playing but not fully fit, serving bans etc.  Throw in lack of form and who'd be a manager.  Only a couple could be genuinely pissed off at not getting much of a chance,  Brisley, Crookes and maybe Visser.  Players have been given their chance and flopped.  On the flip side of this Hurst appears to have grabbed his opportunity.

Your last couple of sentences are laughable.  We're never going to ship out 5 or 6 in the current climate, but if we did, what evidence do you have that bringing in 3 or 4 first teamers would have the desired effect?  Do you think these top players, in the highly unlikely event we managed to sign 3 in January that would walk into the first team, would all bed seamlessly into the first team?  Say we take your second option and change the manager, what crystal ball have you been looking into that's told you the next incumbent is going to be an automatic success?

The point is that both options are essentially gambles, which may or may not work out.  We could do both and still limp along until the end of the season.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2020 at 23:04, Joe B said:

Serious question; if the whole squad is fit, how many of them make the first 11? In my view, it's Amoo and Rodney and you stop there. There are possible arguments for Fitzpatrick and maybe Burgess but I'd turn to Montano and Conlon in turn. In my view it's not good enough, and a mid-table budget shouldn't factor into this as teams with much less money than us manage to do much better.

I accept that you have to sign some rough gems, but Rodney looks to be the only example of this, and Hurst possibly (though it's very early to say yet).

I'm afraid that we just have to accept that all clubs will some sign a mixture, some squad players, some who they hope will develop and some in theory ready made for the first 11.  You've named 21 from across several seasons, so, for example, Maddison came and went to be replaced by Visser, both only expected to be backup to Brown and so it goes with many of the names you listed.

Your question is valid.  For whatever reason we've failed to seriously improve the first 11.  At the start of JA's time we were told it was difficult to attract players due to the toxicity and tin potted legacy of the previous owner.  Since the change of ownership we're no doubt in a better position to attract players.  So whether it boils down to money, lack of scouting, COVID, or whatever, who knows.  COVID was a factor for sure, we opted for a deeper squad, better squad players at the cost of a bit of added first team quality, some other clubs went for smaller squads with better players, where a bit more luck with injury is needed.  As it stands you could argue that our approach hasn't worked.

I will add though that a mid table budget guarantees nowt.  Look at Mansfield and Bradford who both must have bigger budgets than ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1