onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Council Meeting Thursday Agenda!!

carpetman123

Mike Barnes - Former Stoke City season ticket holder and has had contacts in the past with a certain football club Chairman, Im not saying anything is wrong here but this smells of pie eaters and their double standards. The Brittania Stadium issue was conveniently brushed under the carpet, this most certainly will not be, Vale Market all over again it stinks.

Advert

So what would you suggest?

They've let Vale take the p and that is why they have proke the rules again and again and again and its resulted in Vale getting in to even more debt.

Presonally they should be giving a final warning. How can they justify to all the next breach whenever it happens. They have allowed Vale to get away with it. To keep allowing them is reckless imho.

Vale should be under no illusion the next time they break the terms the loan is called in. There's a bit of an incentive to manage your finances better for a start, all just imho of course

Mike Barnes is the least of our worries, a former member of the council still trying to act important.

I have been told he has been working as a temp for the co operative in Burslem recently, customer services on the co op membership.

No sway what so ever just another one of that lot up the road with their wooden spoon out.

Is anyone attending. Was going to go but have only just got back from working in Wrexham

I spent an hour there and got caught-up with 150 OAP's!!!

The meeting made me realise why the city is the way that it is. It was like an episode of Fawlty Towers and The Office rolled into one.

I spoke to ex-Councillor Barnes after and seems like there was no agenda for him asking the question but that he is constantly told things about the Club and its possible demise.

He also pointed out that the interest payments are staying the same even though the Club is now paying off the capital debt. They owe

£1.8M and are paying £10k off the loan.

Valium anyone?

They've let Vale take the p and that is why they have proke the rules again and again and again and its resulted in Vale getting in to even more debt.

Presonally they should be giving a final warning. How can they justify to all the next breach whenever it happens. They have allowed Vale to get away with it. To keep allowing them is reckless imho.

Vale should be under no illusion the next time they break the terms the loan is called in. There's a bit of an incentive to manage your finances better for a start, all just imho of course

Although I would prefer Vale to re-pay as per the terms and conditions of the loan, the club don't owe any more principal although it will take longer to repay the money owed. Its interesting that some of the principal has been paid off from Apr to Nov 2011 but no figures are given post Nov 2011.

IMO the council is being responsible in the way it is managing the repayment and they're doing this because they realise the role of the club in the community. If the council called in the loan and put the club into admin then either they could lose their money due to the preferred creditors ruling or the ground would be sold to re-pay the council loan. I for one would not like the ground to be sold to anyone as that really would be the slippery slope.

My maths may be wrong here but paying £10,718.60 every month off £1.8million leaves us with only another 168 monthly payments to pay! Unfortunately, I may not be around in 14 years time to see this debt finally paid off.

Even more of a concern than me croaking, is where is the £19,616.92 (capital and interest, and on top of all the wages) coming from every month? Not surprising that we are sliding further into debt.

I spent an hour there and got caught-up with 150 OAP's!!!

The meeting made me realise why the city is the way that it is. It was like an episode of Fawlty Towers and The Office rolled into one.

I spoke to ex-Councillor Barnes after and seems like there was no agenda for him asking the question but that he is constantly told things about the Club and its possible demise.

He also pointed out that the interest payments are staying the same even though the Club is now paying off the capital debt. They owe

£1.8M and are paying £10k off the loan.

Valium anyone?

You are a brave man with all those crinklies; totally unrelated was jean with you :razz:

This is public money and any question about the decision to make this loan and its repayment is reasonable.

The year end at the Council is 31 March. After the draft financial statements have been produced by the chief financial officer in May / June they will be put on deposit and notice given that members of the public living in Stoke on Trent can inspect them, ask for supporting information and question the District Auditor about items in the accounts. A person is also entitled to object to the accounts on certain bases including that an item of account is unlawful or that an item of account has not been properly included in the accounts etc.

The loan to Port Vale originated several years ago and therefore the scope to challenge the decision to make the loan - which in my opinion as a former auditor of various Council's accounts gets in the "interesting" category with regard to legality, has passed. But there certainly are issues that can be asked about its repayment including whether there is sufficient effort to ensure repayment, it has sufficient assets assigned tothe Council to allow recovery if Port Vale becomes insolvent and whether any inapropriate adjustments are being made affecting the loan which act against the best financial interests of the Council.

Members of the public have the right to object to the accounts and to cause the District Audit to carry out an investigation resulting in a statement of reasons as to whether an objection is upheld or not. The bases of an objection are limited to things like legality and proper accounting practice, but there is some scope for this loan to attract attention in a formal statutory process where challenge to the Council's actions is possible in June / July probably.

The deposit of the accounts will be advertised in a local paper by the Council and probably on its website as well.

Archived