Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
robf

2019 Cricket - World Cup, Ashes, Pakistan ODI series etc

I agree.

I think Starc has had a side strain or something like that and they are perhaps wisely rotating their bowlers. But Siddle is decent in England and can hold a bat. I worry that we over bowl Archer and really need to keep him fresh.

IF we can get Anderson back for Old Trafford, alongside Archer.... But will that be too much of a risk?

I still like Curran but I can't see us fitting him in, sadly.

You are spot on about Leach. Still a lot to learn but he does seem more able to tie down an end than Moeen, though the latter had the knack of picking up a few wickets.

The Aussies surely can't play Smith. If he's had concussion he should not be allowed anywhere near a cricket pitch for at least a week, I would have thought. For his own health and safety. Have the ICC not got a rule on this? They should have. He'll want to play but he categorically shouldn't. I'd love to see him v Archer again but his health comes first.

Hazelwood seems to have dropped down the pecking order a little as he is out of favour with the ODI team; it's him vs Siddle nominally for 1 spot although they just played together in the last test. Cummins is the strike bowler and the Australians rate Pattinson extremely highly - he's always taken wickets when fit, but just hasn't been able to string a consistent injury free run together.  I get the impression that Starc's middling record in England counts against him although that hasn't been said.

I was very surprised at the Australian approach to Leach at Lords - they've historically always tried to go after the spinner regardless, to hit them out of the attack, but they were very passive and defensive which allowed him to bowl very economically. I can't see that continuing though so he will need to maintain his composure as and when they come for him.  Archer is clearly the X-factor for England, and not only will a quicker pitch help at Headingley, his inclusion takes a bit of the pressure off Broad to carry the attack which I think will help him too. I'm all in favour of being aggressive to the Aussie batsmen - I think it's clear they don't like it up em Mr Mainwaring, they do not like it up em. I still think Woakes bowls generally too short, although he's an excellent all round cricketer to have in the side. On the batting front, sure the selectors will stick with Roy, although he desperately needs runs, and we could do with Buttler getting into nick - he's another that could turn the tide of a game with a cameo innings, but he's trying to feel his way into form.

All in all it's finely poised, but I wouldn't read too much into momentum to be honest - that's the beauty of cricket, it really doesn't take much for things to swing round 180 degrees - before this match we were mostly, myself included, pretty concerned. I do think a win is important though as the weather will likely increasingly play a role given the late nature of the matches in the season.

I`m not sure Headingley is a quick pitch, it normally suits medium pacers not bang it in pace merchants.

I would keep the same personnel but put Bairstow as opener, Roy in middle order and Stokes at 3 to protect Root from new ball a bit.

Archer should be the first name on the team sheet if he's fit, a bowler with genuine pace will usually extract more life from a pitch than a seamer who bowls slower, we've seen it around the world countless times. Have to take 20 wickets to win a Test match, no better way than having a strike bowler with genuine pace in the team.

About as well as we've done chopping and changing ours in the last couple of years! A disaster, I'm pleased to say. It's got to be really difficult for anyone to come in from the cold and get quickly up to speed against a moving ball. That's why their lad whose name I can't pronounce has done so brilliantly well in his two innings to date.

As ever, it's about footwork and technique at the crease. That said, jumping around and playing a lot of onside shots doesn't seem to bother Smith, nor Richards, but they must have extraordinary eye-hand coordination.

A huge day today.

What a shambles of batting at test match level England are the truth is we have one day cricketers who cannot play a test match innings.The amount of wide balls they should leave is unbelievable what on earth was Stokes doing trying to hit that he would have needed a fishing rod to hit that in the middle.To many one day cricketers in the England side not enough what i call proper batsmen if the ball is wide of your off stump let the thing go when you first get in.I was always taught make the bowler work for his wickets do not give it away we have lost the art of batting end of.

16 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

What a shambles of batting at test match level England are the truth is we have one day cricketers who cannot play a test match innings.The amount of wide balls they should leave is unbelievable what on earth was Stokes doing trying to hit that he would have needed a fishing rod to hit that in the middle.To many one day cricketers in the England side not enough what i call proper batsmen if the ball is wide of your off stump let the thing go when you first get in.I was always taught make the bowler work for his wickets do not give it away we have lost the art of batting end of.

I didn't buy into the wholesale changes thing till today but I can only agree. 

I'm sorry to say that I think the likes of Roy, Buttler and even Bairstow have no Test mentality.

I hesitate to go back to the bad old days of wholesale changes but I can't see how the likes of Pope (Ollie, not Tom) can help either. He was dropped for a ridiculous attacking shot.

For me, I would immediately restore Foakes who is the best wicketkeeper and can bat sensibly, we then need a new opener, a number three (presuming Root moves to four) and a middle-order batsmen who doesn't play in ODI mode all the time.

Ive said it before on these pages and I’ll say it again. When is Root’s  captaincy and leadership going to be called into question ?

After the 1st test debacle I called for his removal as captain. Today’s calamitous performance only confirms my views.

I realise that technically he is only an eleventh of the problem but as captain he has to lead, something he seems sadly incapable off,

We have been systematically dismantled by an average, at best, touring antipodean side minus their talisman Smith !

Whatever you think of the convicts, 90% of the time when the Ashes come around they are up for it. The same cannot be said about ourselves.

Especially under Root’s appalling captaincy. 

• Like 1

Root could do better. I agree. But pressure does some funny things to people!

For me our problem can be summed up in a word - batting. You won't win a 5 day test unless you can regularly score over 300 runs, at least.

Our bowlers have done well and that's minus Anderson. Curran is also decent. And we've found Archer. That isn't a problem, really. It's our batting line up that has been found wanting.

The middle order used to save us but that's no longer the case. Most of them play one day cricket in a five day test match. They've been coached to play like that. It's their natural instinct.

There was a fascinating tea time discussion yesterday on the radio between Cook, Vaughan and Boycott, all players who could build an innings and leave balls wide of the stumps. Players who took delight in being 30 not out at lunch having faced 75 dot balls. But we don't seem to have any players like this now. Remember Trott at 3. And Bell had a sound technique. Now we've got a team of bish, bash, boomers who chase wide balls, swish at balls that are nowhere near the stumps and think it's criminal if they play a dot ball. It's mentality and coaching and technique.

All we can do is to identify the best young batsmen around and give them the best coaching that money can buy. Perhaps some of these proven cricketers can swap their Sky box for the nets and give these lads some advice and coaching.

But we're introducing another limited overs competition next year so there's no sign of anything improving anytime soon.

What young players are out there worth considering for the long term? Who plays for the Lions? But as I said before, the fixtures and whole season are is planned for the one day game. It's hard for batsmen to get enough practice on good pitches. Archer had to play for his 2nd XI the other week, just to get a game. It needs looking at. Or do we forget test cricket and simply play with a white ball?

We have been hoist by our own petard as we ordered the batch of Dukes ball that we are using with a bigger seam than they now use in county cricket. This has enabled our bowlers to take Aussie wickets but our fragile batting that has been concentrating on fancy shots against the non moving white ball can`t cope.

The lack of a working opening partnership is costing us dear and exposing our fancy dan middle order too early. Having said that the Aussie bowling has been excellent in this game in their plans and execution and I would guess our old nemesis Steve Waugh would have a lot to do with that, the wily old fox. 

I have watched cricket for over 55 years and played for a good number of those years but I've never seen anything like that. The best innings I've ever seen, is Ben Stokes the best all rounder there has ever been.