onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

2019 Cricket - World Cup, Ashes, Pakistan ODI series etc

robf

I thought I'd put this thread up as it's an amazing summer of cricket.

The first question seems to be whether to include Jofra Archer in the WC squad. I tend to agree with Michael Vaughan who says Archer must get in. On his last couple of appearances and IPL form I can't disagree with that.

Advert

Archer I think should play. He'd get into every other team in the world. But so late in the day it is a bit frustrating for whoever misses out but isn't that sport? No room for sentiment.

I wonder if he's capable of stepping up in a 5 day game. At least we are using the Dukes ball again so Jimmy will be happy.

I'm just not sure about our top order for the Ashes. Far from settled (a bit of a mess to be frank)and the Aussies will have Smith and Warner back which will make a huge difference to them. Whether or not they can cope with a moving ball is another question.

Should be a great summer. You are right.

Yes, Archer must be in the side. The pace bowling in ODIs has been a real weak link for years. This has been overlooked in my view by the amazing batting. I think I saw a stat where our bowlers have the highest average economy rate of any of the Test playing nations.

I was over in Ireland for the ODI last Friday. 2 things struck me. Foakes and Tom Curran would walk into any other side in the world and Ireland in May is far too cold to be watching cricket.

For me, I would speak to Bairstow about moving up the order and look to replicate the ODI pairing in Tests. Bairstow has been great in ODIs and had a really good IPL as an opener. It's very attacking for the Ashes and is a risk but even when we go for accumulators we still lose early wickets so may as well try scoring quickly from the off.

That would free up a space for Foakes who is the best keeper. I subscribe to the view (when Jack Russell was not used) that a keeper is far more than the runs he provides. A couple of brilliant catches can equally win a game and with England potentially have two spinners we need the best keeper.

Mark Wood also had a brill return to the Test team so I'd find a place for him although to be honest we are spoilt for choice in bowlers. Tons of fast bowling options (Woakes is desperately unlucky for me then there's the Currans, the Overtons, Olly Stone) plus plenty of spin options (Leach also unlucky).

I'd also go with two spinners and not rely on Ali as the sole frontline spinner.

So for me the XI could be something like this. I admit the batting line-up still looks like it could collapse , but you've got four seamers, two spinners (three with Root) plus a host of good fielders in there. Nine of the eleven have a first-class century too.

1. Roy

2. Bairstow

3. Root

4. Stokes

5. Buttler

6. Foakes

7. Ali

8. Wood

9. Rashid

10. Broad

11. Anderson

• 2 weeks later...

It was a tough choice.

I might have gone for Willey and thought about leaving out Plunkett or Wood.

The latter is injury prone and we might need him later in the summer.

Left armers give us another angle/option but I know the white ball is different.

No, on the whole, we can't grumble with that selection.

Silly Mr. Hales.

We do have a great chance but once the knock-out kicks in it's anyone's game on any given day.

When we come off we look majestic but we are still occasionally prone to a wobble.

Might be worth a smaller wager.

Archer I think should play. He'd get into every other team in the world. But so late in the day it is a bit frustrating for whoever misses out but isn't that sport? No room for sentiment.

I wonder if he's capable of stepping up in a 5 day game. At least we are using the Dukes ball again so Jimmy will be happy.

I'm just not sure about our top order for the Ashes. Far from settled (a bit of a mess to be frank)and the Aussies will have Smith and Warner back which will make a huge difference to them. Whether or not they can cope with a moving ball is another question.

Should be a great summer. You are right.

I think if he has a good world cup they should throw him straigh in for the Ashes.

We could do with an impact player that the AUssies dont know about and will take the fight to them. A bit of a gamble a bit like Pietersen in 2005

• 2 weeks later...

The World Cup is about to start any predictions?

I'm going for Jason Roy as top run scorer, Jasprit Bumrah to get the most wickets and (just because it's very English to say so) England to romp to the semi-finals where they suffer a fluke loss probably to Australia....

• 4 weeks later...
Winner: New Zealand to finally end their run of semi final/final defeats and get over the line. Experience in English conditions will come to the fore.

Top run scorer: Jos Buttler

Top wicket taker: Trent Boult

England to lose to India in the semi finals.

We're struggling to reach the semi's now after Pakistan's win yesterday?

The defeat against the Aussies on Tuesday was a huge blow and we couldn't handle their quickies once again.

Two massive games coming up against India and New Zealand.

What on earth has happened to West Indian cricket ? 

A good effort yesterday, albeit against a poor Sri Lankan side, but only 1 win in 7 completed matches at this year’s World Cup is difficult to comprehend for such a once proud cricketing nation.

Their test side has been on the slide for a number of years, but I thought their one day format team was competitive.

Their team seems full of average, at best,  performers. Where are the modern day Michael Holding’s, Clive Lloyd’s, Gordon Greenidge’s etc that used to thrill crowds, even if you were on the receiving end. Remember the 80’s so called “blackwash” series in England ?

something has gone seriously wrong with cricket in the Caribbean. But what ?

I think there have been quite a number of arguments and fall outs at every level in WI cricket. Especially between the Board and the players. Many players come and go, drop out, get dropped, return, disappear again, and on and on and on. And because it's been so long since they were so very good I'm not sure that the attraction for youngsters is as strong now. Some prefer US sports.

They are very naturally talented but lack self discipline and play too freely at times. Their fielding can be atrocious and the likes of Gayle are like pensioners in the outfield. They are not as fit as other teams. 

Shame. Great shame. Great entertainers and always value for money. We need them back to their best.

I saw a clip on-line yesterday somewhere in which Cottrell was teaching two children his salute in the foyer of the Plaza Hotel in Newcastle. Great stuff!

Archived