onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Traditional clubs or the new potential clubs in their places?

jospvfc

What do you think of this situation of so many traditional clubs being in Non-League, like Stockport, Hereford, Hartlepool, Chesterfield, York City, Whrexham, Scarborough, Torquay, what happened to all those clubs that are common in Football league, division below?

Do you like the Stockport County back, do you think they can go back to the Football League soon, or do you think better clubs like Fylde, Harrogate, Eastleigh, Salford go to football league instead of those traditional clubs with more fans than these potential new clubs?

Traditional clubs or the new potential clubs in their places?

Hugs from here from Brazil to Vale fans

COME ON VALE

Advert

Brazil

Performance on the pitch is the only way, it has not always been like this.

Entry to the football league was by election, either to replace a bankrupt club or to replace a club requesting re-election for being in the bottom 4 places. Sometimes seeking re-election for financial irregularities, as we have done in the Matthews era. We entered the league the last time (Tier 2 current Championship) in 1919 replacing Leeds City.

traditional for me please. Clubs like Salford and Fylde are very small clubs having the benefit of large sums of money invested, but very little history or tradition.

However, if they build gradually, and are well run and can generate decent crowds, then thats fine by me.

traditional for me please. Clubs like Salford and Fylde are very small clubs having the benefit of large sums of money invested, but very little history or tradition.

However, if they build gradually, and are well run and can generate decent crowds, then thats fine by me.

Fylde sounds like a new Fleetwood Town, am I right?

Good topic Jos and something close to my heart.

As an old duffer, I find it difficult to see old adversaries like Stockport, York, Chesterfield etc in their current position.

However, what constitutes a “traditional” club ?

We may all regard teams like Shrewsbury, Colchester, Peterborough, Oxford and Cambridge to name but a few in the above category. Yet older supporters like myself will know that these teams only originally gained entrance into the Football League by the electoral process. Yet I hear no derision about these teams and others being “non league upstarts”

If Salford were to gain promotion to the EFL, at least it would be due to their efforts on the field rather than off it.

Recent FA Cup winners Wigan gained access by the electoral process as late as the 70’s, but most people appreciate their efforts in mixing it with the “big boys”

In my opinion, although I do not like the demise of the mentioned clubs, these so called “manufactured” clubs are actually nothing new.

Burton are a ‘new club’ but are a shining example of what can be achieved if well run, without the need for large external investment

Yeovil Town seems to me to be back in NON - LEAGUE for a while, the club does not have the size of the Football League

I suppose it's a question of what's better. The old electoral process or the current open shop? The current set up allows money men to obtain club's on the cheap and bank roll them to the big time, Rushden & Diamonds being a prime example. Not a fan of it at all if I'm honest. Give me Southport, Bradford (Park Avenue), Workington and Barrow over Fleetwood, Yeovil and Burton Albion anyday of the week.

I suppose it's a question of what's better. The old electoral process or the current open shop? The current set up allows money men to obtain club's on the cheap and bank roll them to the big time, Rushden & Diamonds being a prime example. Not a fan of it at all if I'm honest. Give me Southport, Bradford (Park Avenue), Workington and Barrow over Fleetwood, Yeovil and Burton Albion anyday of the week.

Frank, in someways I agree with your views.

However, these “yuppie” clubs tend to be well financed and well run, something sadly lacking in the ex league teams you mention. Bradford PA for example were an extremely poorly run club which eventually led to their expulsion in the early 70’s.

Do we actually want a more competitive league, to which these ambitious non league clubs certainly contribute, or stick with “traditional” clubs who actually contribute little in real terms?

These pages are full of how poor our very own facilities at Vale are. Take a look at Salford, Fylde etc and see if you could honestly say the same thing about theirs.

Burton are a ‘new club’ but are a shining example of what can be achieved if well run, without the need for large external investment
Yes agree, Burton would be a good bench mark for us, we have a bigger fan base so in theory should do better, but first of all we need hoppfully our new owners will get the club of the field functioning well and looking for new income sources and channel extre incomes into the on field development, small steps, let's get it right this time after many years of frustration, together we can achieve our goals, keep the faith and keep believing up the Vale

There has been a similar thread in the past regarding this .

My stance has always been that 2 down has diluted the Football League.

It should be Champions promoted.

2nd in the Conference then play 91st in a one off game.

None of this will ever happen due to the play-offs but it is what i would like to see.

There are arguments both for and against and teams are where they are either on merit or because of a cash cow.

Solihull for example are part-time compared to moneybags Salford.

Stockport filled the Nuneaton ground, would FGR, Stevenage, Crawley do the same if dropped down ?

I want your Wrexham, Chesterfield, Stockport back in the league but nobody has a divine right.

Sad loss if Notts County go, as for Yeovil, couldn't give a stuff !!

It is an argument/ debate we wil all differ on, no right or wrong , it is just an opinion but my opinion is the League has been diluted with teams who will never grow.

Do Morecambe for example get bigger crowds now than when in non-league.

Stevenage are another pointless club.

Rant over

Archived