onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Engerland

TylerB

The signs have been a bit more encouraging in the last 18 months and we do seem to have a crop of good youngsters. But we've been saying that for 20-30 years. The golden generation blah, blah, blah. But it never comes to anything.

How many of England's starting XI the other night would make City's first XI, or Liverpool's? 2-3 at most.

We have to find a couple of midfield players of real quality who can keep the ball, create chances and hold onto possession. Until we do that it doesn't matter how "good" our strikers are on paper because we won't get enough of the ball.

Advert

Outplayed. Lmao! I judge games based on chances created, not possession that's mostly stemed from passing it around a couple of meteres in midfield. Off the top of my head I remember Sterling clipping the bar, Sancho somehow putting a header from 5 yards out straight into the keepers arms. And the offside goal with 7 minutes of normal time left that on another day could easily have been given. I can barely remember Netherlands doing anything other than when one of our defenders gifted them something. When the Dutch were well on top for 10 minutes or so in the second half leading up to their goal it was because England rightly or wrongly sat back and allowed them. As soon as they scored our mentality instantly changed and we were well and truly on top until the dissalowed goal obviously deflated us as a team.

England's goal was against the run of play, the mentality of the Dutch didn't change due to England's goal, they fought and got back in the game and a goal was on the cards, it's what good teams do. The "Goal" was offside and such a decision should never deflate a team as good as you think England are.

Do you not also judge a game on goals scored, cause the Dutch worked and pressed hard to get the two opportunities from which they scored their last two goals.

Let's agree to disagree.

God, that was a slog! We're so much better than the Swiss, but if you don't take your chances...

Pickford 8 - Thought his penalty was the best of the lot! Seems to be a better keeper for England than he does his club.

Alexander-Arnold 8 - He's outstanding for a 20 year old. Yes he can improve defensively, and he will, but he will be the best right-back in Europe in a few years time. He's already one of them.

Gomez 7 - Didn't put a foot wrong. This is a guy who only just come back after missing most of the season. He'll go on to be one of the first names on the team sheet for club and country.

Maguire 8 - Woeful against the Netherland, outstanding today. Had one dodgy moment in extra time but other than that he looked like Rio Ferdinand.

Rose 6 - His usual good and not so good moments in a match. I'd have Chilwell and Shaw ahead of him, so he can be seen as an outstanding third choice.

Dier 6 - Did his job but doesn't offer a lot. Slows the game down far too much and never picks his head up to look forward.

Delph 6 - He's fine against mid-tier opposition like the Swiss. Needs to leave Man City so he can play central midfield week in, week out for another lesser Premier League club.

Lingard 5 - Didn't offer anything. I think he would be better in the Alli role further forward, but at present shouldn't be near the starting 11.

Alli 7 - Still think he can offer so much more than he generally does. Missed a couple of great chances but at least he gets in great positions.

Sterling 6 - Not his day. His finishing went back to how it was a couple of years ago, but he never hides and keeps going no matter what which you can only admire. He'll have better days than this one.

Kane 7 - Thought his hold up play and passing was superb throughout. Doesn't seem to get a lot of chances in front of goal for England.

Not to take anything away from the two performances where I thought the Dutch team had more quality than England in the semi-final but we were much better than Switzerland in the 3rd Place play off. My comment is about the use of VAR which is supposedly about getting correct decisions (which I have no issue with) except that the amount of time it is taking to reach that decision is too long. I was also under the impression that VAR was there just to stop blaringly obvious errors by the officials but the two goals that England had wiped off (each would have been winners in both games) were harsh to say the least. The offside in the first game was a toe nail and the shirt pulling incident could mean that more games will be ended 0-0 in the future. If every goal is going to be judged and wiped off for a shirt pull, small amounts of physical contact etc then it is time to call it a day. FIFA and UEFA are gradually ruining both the game that we grew up with and taking away the talking points that make for debate afterwards.

VAR is a farce, and the worst thing to happen to football. Every goal you score now you're almost scared to truly celebrate for it being ruled out for whatever reason. It needs to be ****** off.
The only people who actually like VAR are those who think they “support” a team because they watch them on TV

They will never ever know the feeling of limbs flying everywhere in the heat of the moment.

VAR will kill off real football club supporters...

I was out there for a week watching the tournament. Take aside the hassle of getting into the ground for the Holland game and getting back to Porto after the Holland game, it was a great week with some good football on show. Both Porto and Guimaraes are great places, well worth a weekend break.

Onto England. I'm not sure we learnt anything we didn't already know, in that we are fine against mid/lower tier sides but we will struggle against teams who have a strong spine to the side. TylerB makes a valid point that perhaps only 3 Dutch players will actually improve our side, but unfortunately in international football, they are the 3 most important players. Our best hope is to play with pace and move the ball quickly, which I think is what Southgate is trying to do. I fear the likes of Dier and Delph are not really suited to this style of play.

Gomez and Alexander-Arnold (after a shaky first 20 minutes) impressed me on Sunday. I hope they can have a good season and, most importantly, stay fit then this will undoubtedly strengthen us in the Euros.

Away from England, Bernardo Silva will be a PL player of the year within the next 2 seasons. He seems to have everything.

Really good game between England and France under 21's this evening, currently 0-0 at half time but could easily be 2 or 3 each. I honestly think England's midfield three of Choudhury, Foden and Maddison could all play in our main side right now. Choudhury inparticular has looked brilliant - Winning the ball back, pressing the French and keeping the ball ticking over as well as Busquets does for club and country. It's just a shame we have Solanke heading our attack. Demarai Gray could still be some player if he improves his final pass/shot.

What is currently seen as England's weakest position could well be one of our strongest in a few years time.

I was out there for a week watching the tournament. Take aside the hassle of getting into the ground for the Holland game and getting back to Porto after the Holland game, it was a great week with some good football on show. Both Porto and Guimaraes are great places, well worth a weekend break.

Onto England. I'm not sure we learnt anything we didn't already know, in that we are fine against mid/lower tier sides but we will struggle against teams who have a strong spine to the side. TylerB makes a valid point that perhaps only 3 Dutch players will actually improve our side, but unfortunately in international football, they are the 3 most important players. Our best hope is to play with pace and move the ball quickly, which I think is what Southgate is trying to do. I fear the likes of Dier and Delph are not really suited to this style of play.

Gomez and Alexander-Arnold (after a shaky first 20 minutes) impressed me on Sunday. I hope they can have a good season and, most importantly, stay fit then this will undoubtedly strengthen us in the Euros.

Away from England, Bernardo Silva will be a PL player of the year within the next 2 seasons. He seems to have everything.

In terms of quality there isn't a lot between Gomez and De Lijt. We couldn't match the flair and technical ability of Netherlands but with Foden and Maddison to come into the picture, and there's Oliver Skipp too who will 100% become an England player one day, we will certainly improve in that area.

Choudhury has just given away a penalty and been sent off after I lauded him haha. Right decision as it was a stupid challenge where he actually slid past the ball. Thought it all came from a centre-back, Tomori, needlessly giving the ball away and putting England on the back foot. If you have two ball playing centre-backs then let them get on the ball and pass it. If you don't then don't try to make them something into what they aren't and will never be.

2-1 France. I think Wan-Bissaka just knocked about 20 million of his own transfer value haha, he's had a shocker! Once England went down to 10 they didn't stand a chance against such a physically strong and good side to be fair. But Bothroyd bringing on two strikers to play as wide players for the last 20 minutes didn't help one bit either.

Archived