onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

Overall Vale played well apart from the one back pass. Based on our 2nd half display we were unlucky not to win it.

Miller mad a difference being able to hold the ball up and run at defenders, he's more dangerous coming in from the inside right..ish position. By the law of averages he's got to find his shooting boots sometime.

Advert

We can disagree between us, and am sure we will do, but to me the forwards (whoever plays) are probably immune from criticism as none really are missing open goals, or even wasting decent chances, because as a team, we're not supplying them with any, and for the boss to say this system isn't defensive is a real cause for concern, and to the extent that I am wondering if he is losing the plot a little.

For the last two games, we have been defending with up to seven players, I rather think by any definition used, defensive would appear in there somewhere and we have four wonderful points mainly because of Oldhams profligacy Saturday, and the fellas inability last night to knock a ball into an empty net.

From our perspective, apart from Popey's second on the opening day, whilst we have had quite a few close shaves and hit the woodowork half a dozen times or so, the goals we have scored from 'open' play has seen a toe poke from Hannant that crept over the line and two super strikes from Whits (or was it Conlon) and Manny, none of which you could say was set up or created, more down to individual brilliance, how can anyone not be concerned?

The Chekatrade proves we can pass and move and set up chances in doing so, whilst remaining strong at the back, but until we stop launching everything, particularly, and you have to be honest here,as Popey is not playing well, whats going to change.

I also think it's only the esteem in which we all hold him and the metaphoric blood we know he will spill for the cause that has actually stopped his performances being criticized.

Can we drop him, probably not, and certainly not if Neil continues with this non defensive tactic, as he is clearly pivotal to that, but I for one would not mind seeing, what the injection of pace and trickery could do for us going forward, and if someone said, we would have a front three of Whits, Miller and Kanu Saturday, you wouldn't find me complaining as it would demand we would have to get the ball down and play through at not at defences.

Would it work, and or work well, who knows, but I would really love to find out because at the moment, despite a couple of clean sheets it isn't, so what have we to lose?

This weekend is going to provide a good test for Aspins mettle as a manager, does he go with the defensive system that we've shored up with this week or does he go with a more attacking mindset as we're at home?

I'm yet to be convinced about his ability to take us forward with a more attacking outlook. Hopefully he proves me wrong in time.

With respect, this business about goals from open play is getting on my nerves. A goal is a goal how ever it is scored. Of the last 9 goals Lincoln have scored only 3 have come from open play and one of those was from a hoofed clearance yet they are top of the league. MK Dons who everyone thought played like Barcelona at Vale are second and have score only 4 more than us.

If we win every game 1-0 with a goal from a set piece I’ll be perfectly happy!

Yes Jean but you can't rely on set piece goals over a 46 game season. There is a strong element of chance/luck to them and it usually evens out.

Our issue is that not only are we not scoring from open play, we're not creating much either.

Fact; good teams create high quality chances from open play. From the Prem to League 2. We don't do it enough, and partly that is a result of Aspin's insistence at playing conservative football.

I see Aspin deems this new system as 'not negative' as he has 3 forwards on the pitch.

Hannant is no forward. Whitfield is closer to one, but can we really class him as a 'forward'?

We didn't create much last night as we had a half fit Pope effectively as a lone striker, a midfielder and a winger playing off him, and a defensive mid sitting in front of essentially a back 5.

I just want to enjoy Port Vale games again. Its been about 3 years. Am I asking too much?

I often was critical of Micky Adams' Brexit Football, but very, very rarely would he set up and sit back in a League game like we so often do under Aspin.

He dabbled at 5 at the back, but the promotion year he basically rolled with a 424 and properly went at teams like Rotherham, Fleetwood etc.

I'm not expecting top 7; I just want to enjoy going to watch the Vale, and not trudge to VP with the grim resignation that this is another game in the 'rebuild' and I therefore have to submit myself to turgid hoofball.

I often was critical of Micky Adams' Brexit Football, but very, very rarely would he set up and sit back in a League game like we so often do under Aspin.

He dabbled at 5 at the back, but the promotion year he basically rolled with a 424 and properly went at teams like Rotherham, Fleetwood etc.

I'm not expecting top 7; I just want to enjoy going to watch the Vale, and not trudge to VP with the grim resignation that this is another game in the 'rebuild' and I therefore have to submit myself to turgid hoofball.

That promotion took four years under Adams to build, that said possibly would have been achieved in 2 seasons had he not gone the Blades.

What I do recall in his first season though was a lot of draws that season (the season before was the Glover disaster so similar boat to now) where he made us hard to beat and set the foundations with Loft for example coming in and built the squad bit by bit to be more settled and improve. The first year or two was very much like this one until later in the season where we like panned Chesterfield 5-0.

I see Aspin deems this new system as 'not negative' as he has 3 forwards on the pitch.

Hannant is no forward. Whitfield is closer to one, but can we really class him as a 'forward'?

We didn't create much last night as we had a half fit Pope effectively as a lone striker, a midfielder and a winger playing off him, and a defensive mid sitting in front of essentially a back 5.

I just want to enjoy Port Vale games again. Its been about 3 years. Am I asking too much?

Said the same in the newsfeed where Aspin mentioned about it not being negative. It is negative. When we get the ball and launch it to Pope hes isolated on his own because everyones dropped back to their own half. Pope has little chance of dealing with it when fully fit let alone half fit. Injuries aside we know that we've got some players in the squad who have the ability to hurt the oppositon in Whitfield, Worrall, Monty, Miller, Pope, Gibbons & Manny, maybe even Dodds if we played a different way. But how we set up with this current line up is not designed to be attacking or creative at all. Its designed to get men behind the ball and hope something drops for us after we've launched it forward or got a set piece.

No mate, plenty of us are craving the same.

Upfromnowheres post is spot on. He's elegantly stated my thoughts too. I don't want to appear to be knocking Vale or Aspin, just posting my disappointment at the negative, strange selections/ tactics employed so thank you upfromnowheres for stating it as it appears to me. Some will state we are mad trying a system that excludes our talisman but surely at the moment our God is simply in need of a rest in the hope he can recover his fitness and scoring touch? We will never know, under Aspin's reign, if he refuses to change his philosophy , whether we can actually gain points AS WELL AS attempting some form of entertainment to attract and retain the fan base.

Upfromnowheres post is spot on. He's elegantly stated my thoughts too. I don't want to appear to be knocking Vale or Aspin, just posting my disappointment at the negative, strange selections/ tactics employed so thank you upfromnowheres for stating it as it appears to me. Some will state we are mad trying a system that excludes our talisman but surely at the moment our God is simply in need of a rest in the hope he can recover his fitness and scoring touch? We will never know, under Aspin's reign, if he refuses to change his philosophy , whether we can actually gain points AS WELL AS attempting some form of entertainment to attract and retain the fan base.

We went several games last season from New Year to nearly the end of March with Pope either playing when unfit or out injured and we didn't win any. He then had his operation, regained a bit of fitness and we won the next game v Chesterfield. The man needs a good rest so that we can get him fit and ready for the important period coming up when we play some of the teams in the lower half of the table.

Agree. It will be seen as heracy that some of us, for Tom's health sake, are suggesting not only a rest for him but an attempted change of tactics. Continue to put Tom up front whilst he is clearly struggling will only frustrate him and the fans and also bring about a premature end to his brilliant career. Our squad may get the chance to actually play football rather than hoofing balls upwards in vain hopes of us attacking.

I don't think it's the case that we choose to be negative, I think it's more complicated than that.

We know we struggle to open teams up, and we look scared of getting hit on the counter. There isn't a great deal of confidence in our own attacking build up play and it looks like we opt for the comfort of safety in numbers instead, insulating ourselves from getting caught on the break.

The problem is that it can be self-defeating if you drop off key battles instead of fighting them. We picked a lot of defensive minded players against Lincoln and still got thoroughly worked over. At Tranmere we played an experimental formation, played two holding midfielders who dropped off 10 yards and surrendered the midfield completely.

About a year ago I was confident it was something Aspin had addressed, you look at the shots on target stats away at Morecambe and Exeter twelve months ago and it felt like we'd pulled ourselves together and were a proper football team again. Now for some reason we've regressed.

Archived