onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Football League rules out winter break

News Feed

The Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey has ruled out the possibility of a winter break for League clubs. The Premier League are understood to be considering the move but Harvey*told the BBC that wouldn’t be the case for League sides. “We have been involved in the discussions to start with. The EFL won’t observe […]

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

Why don’t Football consider switching to a summer sport ? People say that you couldn’t play in the heat, but the major trophies are contested at this time of year so it can be done. Indeed, if a sport as physically demanding as Rugby League can manage it I’m sure football can. If clubs are concerned about the heat, play Saturday evening. The benefits would be many fold. 1. Better pitches as no winter weather damage. 2. Better weather to encourage more people to attend. 3 NO postponements due to inclement weather.4 More commercial opportunities surrounding the match day experience making attending a game a “day out” etc etc. These are but a few benefits. The World Cup and Euro Finals could be held in our winter, but in warmer climes. I realise it will never happen, but that's not to say it couldn’t work.

Why don’t Football consider switching to a summer sport ? People say that you couldn’t play in the heat, but the major trophies are contested at this time of year so it can be done. Indeed, if a sport as physically demanding as Rugby League can manage it I’m sure football can. If clubs are concerned about the heat, play Saturday evening. The benefits would be many fold. 1. Better pitches as no winter weather damage. 2. Better weather to encourage more people to attend. 3 NO postponements due to inclement weather.4 More commercial opportunities surrounding the match day experience making attending a game a “day out” etc etc. These are but a few benefits. The World Cup and Euro Finals could be held in our winter, but in warmer climes. I realise it will never happen, but that's not to say it couldn’t work.

What heat? this is England remember :wink:

Playing football over Christmas and New Year is part of the fabric of English football.

There are several issues with this proposed idea, not least the risk of boredom setting in (if it hasn't already).

A winter break would presumably see the season extended to accommodate the lost games. The football season is far too long in my opinion already, and this plan would mean virtually non-stop football.

I honestly feel like I wouldn't want to be part of what the old Division One has become. Shafted fans via shafted kick-off times, international breaks, contempt for the FA Cup, and worst of all Robbie Savage commenting on their games.

I think I'm right in saying it is a summer sport in Australia, where the heat is considerably greater.

Winter breaks are a joke, look at the leagues where they have them, most if not all the teams play friendlies or go on tours so effectively there isn't a break from playing. Being a cynic I suspect a Premier League winter break would just be an opportunity for the big money teams to bob off to China or somewhere to play in a 'promotional mini tournament' or something to 'let our Chinese fans see their heroes in the flesh' (so they keep paying TV subscriptions following our advertising campaign tournament). Bugger the fans in England who actually go to the bread & butter games we count for nothing more than giving the TV show an atmosphere at matches these days, gate money is no longer core income it's a 'bonus' for Prem clubs.

All this annoys me intensely, football is a winter game and provides entertainment during the months where short days and cold weather stifle enthusiasm for other activities. In my view, of course.

Playing football over Christmas and New Year is part of the fabric of English football.

There are several issues with this proposed idea, not least the risk of boredom setting in (if it hasn't already).

A winter break would presumably see the season extended to accommodate the lost games. The football season is far too long in my opinion already, and this plan would mean virtually non-stop football.

I honestly feel like I wouldn't want to be part of what the old Division One has become. Shafted fans via shafted kick-off times, international breaks, contempt for the FA Cup, and worst of all Robbie Savage commenting on their games.

A winter break in January would not interfere with the festive season. Two Saturdays off would require two midweek games which you could accommodate by getting rid of the stupid Checkatrade Trophy group games. No need to extend the season.

The festive schedule is sheer madness.

Why do they shoehorn a game in on the 29th/30th? If you look at the results this year, there were loads of low scoring games around Christmas as the players were knackered (despite what yer da might say about 'real men', sprinting 12km in 90 minutes 4 times in 12 days is taxing for even elite athletes), and injuries increased.

Keep the game on Boxing Day and New Year, scrap the game on the 29th/30th, and then have a 2/3 week break at the start of January. Start the season 1 week earlier and finish it a week later, and lob one more midweek game into the mix at some point.

Would also scrap replays in the league cup. Just go straight to ET and get it done with.

Archived