onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

Fosse69

Advert

So you want to leave our best player this season Denton out and yet you find places for consistently underperforming players like Pugh or Tonge and Pope?

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Denton has played well this season no doubt but the weakness in his game is the defensive side. Vale need to tighten up at the back hence full backs who can defend, at least in theory.

Pugh and Tonge played together in Vale's only league win so far, Pugh has played 2 and 2/3 league games so bit of an over reaction to say 1 2/3 league games is "Consistently under-performing" and similar for Tonge although he didn't have his best game vs Grimsby.

I think Aspin will go with a similar formation again so with that in mind I'd go with something like

Roos

Smith Anderson Gunning

Gibbons Pugh Worrall Denton

Turner Pope Whitfield

Bring Anderson in for Kay. For such a big guy, Kay wins less than 50% of aerial duels. I just fail to see what he adds.

Tongue for me is too immobile and his distribution wasn't exactly all that either. Worrall covers more ground and has an eye for a pass and can get beyond the strikers.

Turner has naivety of youth where he can play fearlessly. He's quick and direct, and also knows where the net is. Harness again didn't offer enough for me on Saturday to warrant a start.

Of course this will be the first full week where the new management team can get a proper look at this bunch of misfits and will hopefully be able to put across their ideas a bit better.

Some players have come in for a lot of stick after Saturdays game, yet for the first half at least that formation was working really well. The problem came when players got tired and we had no answer to Grimsby shutting down the space that we had in the first half.

I thought Harness had a very good first half and was linking up really well with Gibbons. But its a problem that it seems that Harness and Whitfield seem knackered by 60 minutes.

I really like Tonge as a player, he can keep us ticking over, but when he had less space on Saturday he struggled to get in to the game and we ended up missing out the midfield completely. But I can see why Tonge and Pugh were included because they afford protection for the back 3 whilst the wing backs push high.

I suspect that Cheltenham may try to close the space from the first whistle so for that reason I'd leave out Tonge or Pugh this week and bring Worral in. I don't think I'd make any other changes from Saturday other than that.

Roos

Gibbons Smith Kay Gunning Denton

Pugh Worral

Harness Pope Whitfield

Aspins got a week with them now and i fully expect Vales performance be like the first half all game .

Vale 3 Cheltenham 0

Denton Turner and Pope to score .

I hope the fans come again bar 25 mins we should have scored 5 on sat v Accrington we should have scored more than them .

In fact lets look at the stats i think Accrington had very few goal attempts and scored twice as did Grimsby who had very few goal attempts also .

We beating ourselves and that wont continue under Aspo i guarantee it .

Vale need to get back to basics and defend better particularly against set pieces. Defenders should be defending at free kicks not standing in the wall, there should be a defender in front of and behind an attacker at the near post to prevent the ball reaching the attacker and most of all Vale need a vocal Captain on the pitch to organize the defense in particular.

The players are very vocal all over, can't you hear them? What you can't legislate for is individual mistakes that lead to goals.

Or legislate for poor organization/defensive tactics. One dominant vocal Captain/Leader on the pitch should ensure the defense is organized as per the training pitch, particularly at set pieces, during a game.

GK: Boot

RB: Gibbons

LB: Denton

CB: Smith

CB: Anderson

RM: Harness

LM: Whitfield

CM: Pugh

CM: Worrall

ST: Barnett

ST: Turner

Subs:

GK: Rios

DF: Gunning

DF: Yates

MF: Middleton

MF: De Fraitas

FW: Pope

FW: Pyke

Back to basics with a 4-4-2 and hit the channels, press high and play with a high tempo.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived