onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Senior Citizens in football

Twitters

There was an interesting debate on TalkSport this morning about pensioners attending football matches and why they don't get as many discounts as youngsters. One fan was questioning why, as a pensioner, he had to pay up to £65 to get in at QPR when youngsters get in for a lot less. The football supporters federation in association with Age UK have apparently done a survey (I've not been able to find a link as yet to it) and found very few clubs who do offer large concessions for Senior Citizens. They said pensioners would end up as the lost generation.

The presenters seemed to be in agreement with Ivan Gazidis, the Arsenal CEO. When asked at a shareholders meeting why they didn't offer concessions for senior citizens, he said it was because children were the future and it was more important to win new fans, and use the older fans to fund this. Seems many clubs agree with that and are happy to lose this generation if it means they can fund a new one.

Is this the right attitude to have?

Advert

Simple....NO! Alienate one group of fans that have kept clubs going for year upon year just to faciliate the continued production of another.

I'm not a pensioner by the way, no where near, just think it's wrong that the senior ones amongst us seem to be forgotten or "used" far too easily!

I thought all club sponsorships and tv monies and such would be used to help with that, but obviously it is only used to pay over inflated wages to merely average players with over inflated egos.

Those of us of an older persuasion have also proved their loyalty by supporting their club for many years, putting up with abject failure for more years than they care to remember.... there should be a pricing reward of some kind :yes:

Of course not Mark. These old folks have funded the club in the past and therefore deserve both consideration and respect. I very much doubt you would see any other type of institution treating a chunk of it's fanbase in such a way! What's next- a throw back to racial segregation and not letting black people in!?!

The bloke from Arsenal wants a right public dressing down. What a weapon

I'm 63 and I reckon Mr Gazidis should be a little more considerate of the older generation! I won't be getting a season ticket. I will admit that the price isn't the main reason. Well, suppose it is in a way. I can become quite poorly really quickly and therefore can't guarantee that I can get to the games. I normally don't know until the morning of the game!

I have had season tickets in the past though and if there were a concession then I would probably get one to support the club. As it is, it's more economical for me to pay as you go. :yes:

Some might say my free bus pass is enough :D

Some might say my free bus pass is enough :D

I can apply for mine in a couple of weeks.:D

Havent been on a bus for years though.

Grey power rules - wake up Deakin., you're not as clever as you think. There are many who would pay £170 for a ST and their pay on the day total for the rest of the season would be considerably less if not zero.

One day to go before it goes down to £160.

I think it's shoddy to say the least, however what I cannot understand is that whilst a club like Arsenal with a waiting list for ST applications can afford to be mercenary arsehats, a club like ours that very rarely gets near 50% of capacity should be doing everything it can to put bums on seats. It's not rocket science is it?

Archived