onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Diesel and petrol cars to be phased out

Heatwave

Advert

Think the Electric car will evolve and progress so that it will probably be the natural choice by then. Interesting thought over what the Oil companies will do and secondly how will we supply all the extra electricity required when we are currently almost using our full capacity ?

Where will the current Government of the day recoup the tax loss on petrol and diesel sales ?
Car tax, mileage tax, special electric tax, or something else? Have no fear, where there is a way, we will pay, if still around.

Think the Electric car will evolve and progress so that it will probably be the natural choice by then. Interesting thought over what the Oil companies will do and secondly how will we supply all the extra electricity required when we are currently almost using our full capacity ?

Good question. The National Grid says in its report published today that, at peak use time, it could need a whole new nuclear power station as big as Hinckley Point to cope with demand. Can't see it personally as it takes so long to plan and build.

The other issue is that The Guardian (I think) is saying it will blight the car industry in the short term because people will put their decision to buy a new car on hold until it becomes clearer what will happen.

By the look of it, the policy has been given the usual amount of thought by our elders and betters in government.

Germany and India have 2030 targets, impressive?

Not really......not going to make that much difference, and I forgot to add Russia to my list.

There is no way on this earth will petrol and diesel be eliminated by 2030.

Just a long term idea, cars will evolve before then, car sharing/hiring habits change, more usage of public transport in cities, lots will happen with investment in infrastructure, lots to happen before then. We are still planning for hybrid diesel instead of all-electric trains. Are not aircraft big polluters too?

Am I right in thinking that they cancelled a project to make part of the London Midland (?) line all electric within the last week or so?

Will this mean the end to towing a touring caravan I need a 2 ltr vehicle to tow mine my son as a hybrid and had to stop at Michaelwood services to recharge his battery on the way to somerset.

It's 2040, not next year. We can't even imagine the difference in technology. Put it this way, by then we will not be driving the cars anyway. For me it's a token gesture because it is already going that way anyway, with car companies already heading that way. If they wanted to push things to improve the environment, the deadline would have been at least ten years earlier.

Am I right in thinking that they cancelled a project to make part of the London Midland (?) line all electric within the last week or so?
Yes, St Pancras to Sheffield,also Cardiff to Swansea and onwards, Possibly Manchester to Leeds also,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

Are the Government hoping that the current range and battery longevity issues with electric vehicles will have been dealt with by then?

What about charging infrastructure? There are precious few places outside of your driveway (if you have one) to recharge a vehicle. What about all the new power stations that would have to be built to keep them charged? Both the above will need significant investment and I don't see it coming from anywhere but the Government, who would stand to lose millions in fuel taxes and would have to recoup it from somewhere. Full rate VAT on electricity perhaps?

Neither have they said anything about goods vehicles. Battery powered buses are in their infancy but goods vehicles have no alternative to diesel at the moment and probably cause the majority of emissions. Strange how they were missed out of the Government's big announcement.

Strange also is the announcement coming after Parliament has risen. Wanted to avoid awkward questions?

What a load of bullocks it's same as a few years ago extolling the virtues of diesel vehicles over petrol and look at the government m o r o n s today threatening to tax diesels off the road due to pollutants thay produce. It dosent take long to make a list of authority introduced scams to fool the gullable sheeple in britian

Archived