onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Netherlands election result

davidatpreston

The crucial national election in the Netherlands took place yesterday, and most results are available now.

Although many will put their own spin on it, the BBC and most other reliable news sources proclaim it as a crushing defeat for the anti-EU, far right party.

Current leader Mark Rutte gained the most seats and will retain power in coalition that excludes the far right, after an astonishing turnout of over 80 per cent by the country with Europe's most well-educated and free-thinking electorate.

The left Labour party also did badly, but the upcoming Green-Left coalition gained 14 seats, a magnificient achievement not far behind the extremist Wilders party.

The result appears to contradict suggestions that the EU is falling apart, with significant successes for the pro-EU Green-Left and D66. Eyes will turn next to voters in France and Germany to see if that is true.

Jesse Klaver, leader of Green-Left Party, being interviewed

A photo of the BBC interviewing the earnest young leader of the Green-Left party has been shared by followers in Aberdeen, Bedfordshire and the US.

Jesse Klaver's optimistic grassroots campaign has done what Mr Wilders had wanted - inspired a movement beyond Dutch borders.

The man nicknamed "Jessiah" preaches a different brand of populism: "We are the opposite of Wilders, he is hate and we are love," he told me while being swamped by a sea of selfie-snapping schoolgirls.

The result appears to contradict suggestions that the EU is falling apart, with significant successes for the pro-EU Green-Left and D66. Eyes will turn next to voters in France and Germany to see if that is true.

Jesse Klaver, leader of Green-Left Party, being interviewed

A photo of the BBC interviewing the earnest young leader of the Green-Left party has been shared by followers in Aberdeen, Bedfordshire and the US.

Jesse Klaver's optimistic grassroots campaign has done what Mr Wilders had wanted - inspired a movement beyond Dutch borders.

The man nicknamed "Jessiah" preaches a different brand of populism: "We are the opposite of Wilders, he is hate and we are love," he told me while being swamped by a sea of selfie-snapping schoolgirls.

The BBC site shows a picture Jesse Klaver, leader of Green-Left Party, being interviewed by them, the picture has been shared by followers in Aberdeen, Bedfordshire and the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39291069

Advert

An anti-establishment party from the people not from millionaires and billionaires?

Some interesting numbers amongst the bigger picture. Wilders increased his share of the vote from the 2012 elections from about 10% to 13%; Rutte's vote went down from 2012. One wonders what would have happened had their not been such a split of the right wing voters.

But the electorate, in the Netherlands at least, still believes a form of liberal democracy trumps populist nationalist politics and it's good news that the far right didn't achieve what some thought they might.

As you say, there are many ways you can spin it. I suppose Wilders can point to the Freedom Party now being the second biggest party, and significantly cutting Rutte's lead. All in all, I think it is probably a good thing, although I am disappointed that nobody was prepared to work with Wilders if he had won. Not sure that is a good thing for democracy.

rutte stole wilders thunder by turfing the turk ministers out,a heaven sent opportunity to gain the extra votes but now he'll have to eat effluent to appease the new attaturk erdogan.

What a silly post, Rutte has already put the Turkish leader in his place and will not hesitate to do so again.

A good result and a victory for common sense and good moral values, I hope you aren't counting Rutte's party along with that Wildebeeste in your 'split of right-wing' parties.

Rutte is nothing like Wilders, and by comparison with the trash we have like Michael Gove and Boris Johnson and all the rest, is a reasonable decent and centrist politician.

Although I would prefer a more leftist coalition, I wish our conservative government had half the integrity of the Dutch coalition.

As you say, there are many ways you can spin it. I suppose Wilders can point to the Freedom Party now being the second biggest party, and significantly cutting Rutte's lead. All in all, I think it is probably a good thing, although I am disappointed that nobody was prepared to work with Wilders if he had won. Not sure that is a good thing for democracy.
They have a PR system, they pick who they can work with.

Why is it anti-democratic? All the parties made it clear BEFORE the election they wouldn't work with Wilders, so voters had a choice, knew what they were voting for, and if they wanted Wilders as leader they could vote for him, but only 1 in 8 of those who voted did so.

Unlike in 2010 in the UK when many people who voted Liberal would never have done so if they had known Clegg was going to sell out to Cameron for personal 'glory' that ripped the Libs apart for several years.

D66, Groen Links, gained support from the collapse of the PvDA (labour party). Net result is a shift to the right. Even without the PVV there can now be, for the first time in my time here, a government of centre right with no involvement from the left. VVD, CDA, D66, Christain Union, and a few stragglers.

Wilders has won the election without winning it in a way. He's setting the agenda without any responsibility. Anyone who thinks this is a vote of confidence in Europe is way off. It's a "we'll see for now" vote.

Why is it anti-democratic? All the parties made it clear BEFORE the election they wouldn't work with Wilders, so voters had a choice, knew what they were voting for, and if they wanted Wilders as leader they could vote for him, but only 1 in 8 of those who voted did so.

Unlike in 2010 in the UK when many people who voted Liberal would never have done so if they had known Clegg was going to sell out to Cameron for personal 'glory' that ripped the Libs apart for several years.

BS - I see your point, but surely we should be engaging with the folk who felt Wilders was the best option? Similar to we should be engaging with folk who think UKIP is the best option here (4m I think at the last election?) UKIP nor Wilders are for me, but "we" should be looking at the reasons why they are for so many people.

I voted Lib Dem in both the last 2 general elections (the only 2 I have been eligible to vote in). I never thought Clegg would win in 2010, despite his impressive performances in the debates. I thought he would be able to help set the agenda from inside Downing Street, rather than outside it though, which you can argue he managed to achieve. Indeed, I believe British politics is all the worse now that the most effective opposition to the Conservative Party is other members of the Conservative Party.

D66, Groen Links, gained support from the collapse of the PvDA (labour party). Net result is a shift to the right. Even without the PVV there can now be, for the first time in my time here, a government of centre right with no involvement from the left. VVD, CDA, D66, Christain Union, and a few stragglers.

Wilders has won the election without winning it in a way. He's setting the agenda without any responsibility. Anyone who thinks this is a vote of confidence in Europe is way off. It's a "we'll see for now" vote.

Nice to hear the views of someone living there as oppose to the views of those being spoon fed by the liberal media here.

Nice to hear the views of someone living there as oppose to the views of those being spoon fed by the liberal media here.

apparently no one will work with wilders that is unless there aint enough to form a co-allition then opinions might change especially if the trough beckons.

Wow, sour grapes that rival anything seen on here in a post for years. 'Wilders won' - err.....not according to 99 per cent of internet sites, posts, journalists etc. - perhaps you and Trumpfantasy.com might say he won - but his vote was FAR lower than had been predicted for months.

Well you may be there, but your post certainly knows how to deceive and manipulate.

What percentage vote did Labour lose - nowhere near the 19 per cent that the D66 pro-EU Liberal party got with the Green-Left number of seats up by over 300 per cent from 4 to 14.

The ant-EU percentage was around 20per cent, a bit different from 52 per cent for UK Brexit - there will be no NEXIT and Europe is stronger again.

The net result is not a shift to the right but a consolidation of the centre, as Rutte is only right-wing against Islam, itself the furthest right-wing ideology.

So please don't play the 'I live there, I know best' card as you are not the only one with any knowledge of the Netherlands, and distorting facts does not help.

Archived