onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Peterborough Utd v Port Vale

robf

Why would he send anyone off if the goal should have been allowed?
If a ball hits a hand/arm on the way to the net surely it is a deflection, not a prevention of advantage? Thus goal should stand and no foul, or did the ref blow before the ball crossed the line?

Advert

Unlikely to beat Basil Hayward who played half his games as a centre forward, the rest at CH or LB. Could we afford to give Smith a run out as a striker?

Thought that myself after watching the highlights. The thing that struck me was how quickly he responded once his shot had been blocked - lightening quick and quicker than any of their defenders. Forward or not, this kid is going to be some player.

That's right.

The ref I think blew a split second too early, so it's a good job that we scored from the penalty, otherwise we'd be fuming. And I guess that Posh would rather have kept all XI on the field and not have a suspension on their hands, so if he'd given Smith the goal it would have suited everyone.

Anyway, fortunately it doesn't matter now.

Smith is a very inexperienced young centre back, learning his trade. He's played less than ten games at this level and needs time and patience to see if he can continue to improve. In my view, any talk about his worth and moving him up front is plain daft. Take the spotlight off him and let him develop in his own time.

If a ball hits a hand/arm on the way to the net surely it is a deflection, not a prevention of advantage? Thus goal should stand and no foul, or did the ref blow before the ball crossed the line?

Yeah that's my point. Surely it's one or the other. I thought the whistle went after the ball crossed the line so I would say a goal and no foul and sending off.

That's right.

The ref I think blew a split second too early, so it's a good job that we scored from the penalty, otherwise we'd be fuming. And I guess that Posh would rather have kept all XI on the field and not have a suspension on their hands, so if he'd given Smith the goal it would have suited everyone.

Anyway, fortunately it doesn't matter now.

Smith is a very inexperienced young centre back, learning his trade. He's played less than ten games at this level and needs time and patience to see if he can continue to improve. In my view, any talk about his worth and moving him up front is plain daft. Take the spotlight off him and let him develop in his own time.

My view is that after watching Ant Gardner play a few games many fans thought he would ultimately move onto bigger and better things, Id imagine fans are thinking the same about Smith now

Firstly I have to say I thought that that game was a great advert for lower league football. Two teams trying to win a game and not your typical home versus away performance. We started slow as we always do but Jones took his goal well. Their response was down to some very poor defending and Grant never quite seemed 100% to me throughout and his lack of closing down (or doing it too late) certainly contributed towards the goal.

After that we started to improve and in the second half we threw everything at them. Cicilia came on to replace the sub standard Paterson and it began to make a difference. Thought we were unlucky to concede again as it was against the general run of play even if Posh had created a few chances. The equaliser was no less than what we deserved and credit to the subs who all played their part.

Main positives were our style of play, intent, work rate and never say die atttitude. Negatives. Paterson struggled to get in the game when the service was poor, Tavares meandered a little too much in midfield at half pace, Foley got the ball loads but rarely delivered anything with it and the defensive unit should perhaps have done better with both goals.

Very impressed with us though and with a little more experience under our belts we could be a very good side this year.

Firstly I have to say I thought that that game was a great advert for lower league football. Two teams trying to win a game and not your typical home versus away performance. We started slow as we always do but Jones took his goal well. Their response was down to some very poor defending and Grant never quite seemed 100% to me throughout and his lack of closing down (or doing it too late) certainly contributed towards the goal.

After that we started to improve and in the second half we threw everything at them. Cicilia came on to replace the sub standard Paterson and it began to make a difference. Thought we were unlucky to concede again as it was against the general run of play even if Posh had created a few chances. The equaliser was no less than what we deserved and credit to the subs who all played their part.

Main positives were our style of play, intent, work rate and never say die atttitude. Negatives. Paterson struggled to get in the game when the service was poor, Tavares meandered a little too much in midfield at half pace, Foley got the ball loads but rarely delivered anything with it and the defensive unit should perhaps have done better with both goals.

Very impressed with us though and with a little more experience under our belts we could be a very good side this year.

Well summed up sir!

I also mostly agree with Tenement Funster's summary. In the second half Tavares and Foley improved their game and did not give it away as much as they did in the first half. I am sure the manager raised that with them during the break. I think Grant played reasonably well but he lost Moncur for the first by ball watching and chasing someone he was never going to catch. This lapse in concentration was costly, but we also have to recognise that Moncur is a quality player who can elude his markers well as his goal scoring record shows.

I thought Jerome Thomas was a real threat, and so did Grant McCann because he took his right back off, probably fearful that he would end up with a red card for the amount of fouls he was committing.

No one seems to have mentioned Kjelle Knops. He does not look spectacular and some people have said he looks a little exposed at left back. He had quite a lot of the ball and I can remember only one pass not finding his man. At this level to have a full back with that level of passing accuracy is rare indeed. The ability of our back four to find their men is a major plus. Once our midfielders improved their ball retention we upped our game.

I also thought that Cicilia looked decent when he came on. He clearly needs to work on the physical aspect of football in England and dish out some of the physical stuff to opposing defenders. I think he has potential, I would certainly not write him off yet, but there is work to be done with him.

Alex Jones is a real livewire, I like his game and finishing very much. Considering his lack of experience this is a terrific start by him.

Archived