onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Unbelievable 999 calls

JOHNNYAITCH

Ten time-wasting calls made to the Met Police:

• A woman called to say she had bought a cold kebab and the shop would not replace it
  • Callers who missed their alarm and were going to be late for a flight wanted officers to take them to the airport
  • A woman who had seen a clown in London selling balloons for £5 each, which was much more than other clowns were charging
  • Callers in distress because their low fuel indicator light had come on
  • A man called to say his 50p coin was stuck in a washing machine at his local launderette and wanted police to retrieve it
  • A man who did not have change for a parking machine claimed staff at a car park had kidnapped him because they were refusing to let him out for free
  • A caller dialled 999 at 04:00 on a Saturday morning and asked: "Where is the best place to get a bacon sandwich right now?"
  • A man called 999 as he was advised to call 111 but did not know the number
  • A woman wanted police to deal with a couple of noisy foxes outside her home as they were preventing her from sleeping
  • A woman dialled 999 to say there were men in her house trying to take her away. The men in question were police officers who had come to arrest her

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35162700

Advert

And these people are given a vote.

(I remember several years ago reading about a woman who had dialled 999 to say she was dying.......

dying for a cup of tea! And where could she get some tea bags at 11.00 o'clock at night.

You often hear the cliches trotted out about trusting the public, the electorate know best, folk understand it all and can be trusted, I've got total faith in the will of the people. Really? The average IQ must be about the same size as my shoe.)

And these people are given a vote.

(I remember several years ago reading about a woman who had dialled 999 to say she was dying.......

dying for a cup of tea! And where could she get some tea bags at 11.00 o'clock at night.

You often hear the cliches trotted out about trusting the public, the electorate know best, folk understand it all and can be trusted, I've got total faith in the will of the people. Really? The average IQ must be about the same size as my shoe.)

I take it you are a losing Remoaner? 😁😉

Anyone daft enough to call 999 for any of above or similar reasons should be fined or made to do unpaid work or both, most are probably the worse for wear through drink or drugs. It isn't funny when their stupidity could result in a genuine call being delayed trying to report serious injury or death.:ninja:

The chronically thick, ill-informed and prejudiced exist on all sides of any argument so they/we will cancel each other out...to an extent ;)

NBo doubt some of the examples are harmless fun, but there is a slightly sinister undertone here, which makes me question the motive for the opening post. A huge number of calls like this are from people with psychological and mental health issues, and are a cry for help that is unavailable elsewhere.

Sometimes these issues will be compounded by alcoholism, drug misusage (legal and illegal) and other issues like homelessness, abuse or lack of care, but this government and some previous ones have a duty of care to look after these people in a much better fashion than they do at present.

Some of the mocking, smirking and sneering posts above may come home to roost one day in the families of the posters, or perhaps they will even be affected themselves.

Still, when Teresa May privatises bits of these emergency services it will be a fiver a time to dial 999 and all proceeds going to extra Triudents and the Tiory graft fund.

NBo doubt some of the examples are harmless fun, but there is a slightly sinister undertone here, which makes me question the motive for the opening post. A huge number of calls like this are from people with psychological and mental health issues, and are a cry for help that is unavailable elsewhere.

Sometimes these issues will be compounded by alcoholism, drug misusage (legal and illegal) and other issues like homelessness, abuse or lack of care, but this government and some previous ones have a duty of care to look after these people in a much better fashion than they do at present.

Some of the mocking, smirking and sneering posts above may come home to roost one day in the families of the posters, or perhaps they will even be affected themselves.

Still, when Teresa May privatises bits of these emergency services it will be a fiver a time to dial 999 and all proceeds going to extra Triudents and the Tiory graft fund.

Not too sure I agree there is anything sinister intended.

Why not start a petition instead against the BBC for even printing the story?

Spoilsport.😁😉

Not too sure I agree there is anything sinister intended.

Maybe 'vaguely sinister' is a bit too strong, but I do feel there is an element of mockery and superiority, where these are often cases of sadness and desperation rather than stupidity or foolishness.

There was a TV documentary on exactly the same subject recently, and the emergency staff all said that they had some 'regulars' but they knew that they had to go, and inmdeed always would go, because underneath the seemingly trivial reason for the call, there was usually something deeper, in some cases they prevented suicides.

As I said, many of the cases were alcohol and drug related, which is sad, and were taking place because they was nowhere else to turn for help.

To For Us All - Call me a spoilsport if you wish, I can take that, some of these people may not cope with your post so well.

I wouldn't start a petition against the BBC but I would question where the basic information came fropm as the content of 999 calls are not a subject for public discussion and ridicule and it is workplace policy that emergency staff will definitely not discuss such matters in a trivial context.

Maybe 'vaguely sinister' is a bit too strong, but I do feel there is an element of mockery and superiority, where these are often cases of sadness and desperation rather than stupidity or foolishness.

There was a TV documentary on exactly the same subject recently, and the emergency staff all said that they had some 'regulars' but they knew that they had to go, and inmdeed always would go, because underneath the seemingly trivial reason for the call, there was usually something deeper, in some cases they prevented suicides.

As I said, many of the cases were alcohol and drug related, which is sad, and were taking place because they was nowhere else to turn for help.

To For Us All - Call me a spoilsport if you wish, I can take that, some of these people may not cope with your post so well.

I wouldn't start a petition against the BBC but I would question where the basic information came fropm as the content of 999 calls are not a subject for public discussion and ridicule and it is workplace policy that emergency staff will definitely not discuss such matters in a trivial context.

I think people may be amused at the reasons they gave for making the call... not the reasons behind why they called.

There used to be [may well still be] a larger than life automaton jester in a glass case on blackpool pleasure beach, millions have laughed with the jesters infectious laughter without knowing the story behind the laugh.

I think people may be amused at the reasons they gave for making the call... not the reasons behind why they have called.

My own opinion is that there is roomn to consider both, as I already said some were amusing but the context really shouldn't be ignored.

There used to be [may well still be] a larger than life automaton jester in a glass case on blackpool pleasure beach, millions have laughed with the jesters infectious laughter without knowing the story behind the laugh.

I know it. Not sure where it fits here, unless there is literally a hidden story to that clownish device - if so, would be fascinated to hear it. ps Blackpool hallucinations are switched on this weekend, the best free show on earth they call them. xxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxcxccv b

x xx

bbbb

-[y0

jt

The story [in a nutshell] that was published in the 60s [?] concerned a man who lost his entire family in a very short space of time and spent the rest of his time sitting in a room laughing.

I lived and worked in blackpool for a while in my younger days... sold rock on the front, worked in the tower, winter gardens, palatine hotel [pub] and pleasure beach... it was a ****hole then it hasnt changed much except in the deterioration

The story [in a nutshell] that was published in the 60s [?] concerned a man who lost his entire family in a very short space of time and spent the rest of his time sitting in a room laughing.

I lived and worked in blackpool for a while in my younger days... sold rock on the front, worked in the tower, winter gardens, palatine hotel [pub] and pleasure beach... it was a ****hole then it hasnt changed much except in the deterioration

How delightful.

I agree with your remarks about Blackpool, a place I avoid like the plague, though each to his or her own and if some people like it, good for them. Not me though thank you.

I'm informed it has got worse as years go by, crime and unemployment being high and the town getting more run down year by year. Amodel of Thatcher's vision for a Northern town.

Someone who left Blackpool at a young age once told me that the town crest shows a scavenging bird, and that is all the place is good for - scavenging money from tourist with questionable taste, not sure if this is true but there you go.

Archived