onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Playoff place still possible?

Mr Vale

I know it's a dreamers longshot, but still...

11th place, 65 points, as long as the 5 teams above us lose the next remaining matches (We are playing 2 of them above us) and we win our remaining matches, we can cheekily grab the 6th spot.

Right? I mean it's possible.

Advert

I know it's a dreamers longshot, but still...

11th place, 65 points, as long as the 5 teams above us lose the next remaining matches (We are playing 2 of them above us) and we win our remaining matches, we can cheekily grab the 6th spot.

Right? I mean it's possible.[/quote

It would need

Vale to win both games (reasonable chance)

Barnsley to lose at home to already relegated Colchester and lose away at Wigan (very little chance)

Gillingham to only get 1 pt from their games v Burton away and Millwall at home (quite feasible)

Unless we beat Scunthorpe by several goals, theyd have to draw or lose at Sheffield United in their last game (possible but unlikely both will happen)

Sheffield United must drop 1pt or more away to Coventry AND then draw at home to Scunthorpe

(little chance)

Rochdale not to win both games v Swindon home and Colchester away, unless Vale win by a total of 3 more goals in their games (Surprisingly likely that Rochdale could do this).

So it needs 2 Vale wins, 2 Barnsley losses, Gillingham, only 1 pt from 2 games, Scunthourpe to draw at Sheffield United, and Rochdale to drop a point - 8 results to be perfect - not impossible but about 0.5 per cent chance at fixed odds - however, that is more chance than Leicester were given at the start of the season for winning the Prem.

Most likely scenario is that Barnsley will win next weekend against Colchester and then we cant get 6th, but aim as high as possible. Most awful scenario would be if ALL the results went our way except Rochdale, who pipped us on goal diuffernce by winning their 2 games and we realised too late that one more this Saturday (ie 5-1 v Rochdale) would have reversed that situation... if/if/if

What is upsetting is that if we had beaten Barnsley we would have had a fairly decent realistic chance, and even a draw would have kept it in the balance. Next season perhaps........

But Barnsley only need 1 point from their remaining 2 games for us not to finish above them, and they're at home to Colchester next.

I think that is the game to seal our fate.The fixtures are kind to us but a little bit too late unfortuneately.Still ,more unlikely things have happened before.Win next Saturday and pray.

Those two plus the one we should have had at Shrewsbury and the one given against us at Rochdale.

I know but the shrews and Rochdalewere just 2 things that happen over a season. But to get 2 pens in a game you normally expect to score at least 1 of them.( especially with Luke Rodgers not around,lol)

The scale of Rob Page's success this season can be measured by the fact that we can still dream of an admittedly faint chance of a play-off place as May approaches - and if we look back to the start of the season:-

The Guardian's pre-season forecast for League 1 divided the teams into those with a great chance, optimists, outsiders and strugglers.

They listed just 3 strugglers - Crewe, Colchester and Vale - and said Vale were most vulnerable as we had lost our 3 top scorers and called it a recipe for disaster or something similar. In other words- they expected us to finish bottom.

They were right about Crewe and Colchester, but got their fingers burned thanks to the superb efforts of our manager in patiently building a squad that not olny survived but came close to a shock play=off place. Without injuries to Andoh, Inniss and others we might have been top 4.

For this reason alone, Rob Page should be allowed to keep his best players and progress the club further with a similar budget to this season before another club comes in and takes him away.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2015/aug/05/league-one-2015-16-season-preview

To be fair, I think you may as well say we'll rue any point(s) dropped.

Any team will drop points, vale included, the point I was trying to make, maybe not very well, was when you get 2 pens you normally expect to score at least one of them.

Archived