onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gillingham 0 Port Vale 2 Post Match Comments

Fosse69

Well played the lads. Two great passes from Purkiss. Yet another quality game by Grant who must be the player of the year. The nature of the way he plays will naturally result in a good spate of bookings. He is a professional footballer who will try and waste time when in the lead. Sometimes it works sometimes it results in a booking. My brother and I during the game often reminisce about Jim Arnold who had a first class honours degree in time wasting. We have even created an imaginary Jim Arnold tome and each time we see a piece of time wasting we quote a particular section of said book. Having said all of that Jim very rarely got booked. A consummate professional. Maybe Granty should read it.

Advert

Well played the lads. Two great passes from Purkiss. Yet another quality game by Grant who must be the player of the year. The nature of the way he plays will naturally result in a good spate of bookings. He is a professional footballer who will try and waste time when in the lead. Sometimes it works sometimes it results in a booking. My brother and I during the game often reminisce about Jim Arnold who had a first class honours degree in time wasting. We have even created an imaginary Jim Arnold tome and each time we see a piece of time wasting we quote a particular section of said book. Having said all of that Jim very rarely got booked. A consummate professional. Maybe Granty should read it.
good to read your points on Grant, I was beginning to think I was watching a different game to some, I thought Granty was motm. yesterday.

Really pleasing result yesterday hopefully we can win another two before the end of the season so we can secure a top ten finish which would be a good improvement on last season.

I think had Andoh remained fit and had we got a 20 goal striker we'd of been bang up there.

Message to Norm: If you want to eventually sell the club then the higher it is in the football pyramid the more attractive to buyers it will be. Don't tie one arm behind Rob Page's back! UTV.

Agree with that I think a fit Andoh would have resulted in a few more points and that goal scorer we have needed since Pope left has not materialised. Thinking about it next season could be an exciting one if we could just keep hold of a couple of key players in O'Connor and Grant the latter of which will still be under contract. Nice to see Streete taking his chance and hopefully he can kick on along with JJ who could just be a little diamond next season.

good to read your points on Grant, I was beginning to think I was watching a different game to some, I thought Granty was motm. yesterday.

I thought Purkiss was motm but Grant ran him a close second. The Gills fans were very impressed with him and thought he ran the game. That's why his booking was just so aggravating. It meant he was 8 instead of 9 out of 10.

Great result yesterday proberly supported by the lack of pressure to get a result in terms of play off chances.

However i wouldnt be getting excited about keeping our better out of contract players because as it stands i really cant see the likes of Andoh, o'Connor (who does an almost 4hr round trip) signing on reduced terms.

Smurf as i see it has two options

A) Carry out his budget cut threats, lose our better players & see us drop down the league & along with that wave goodbye to his investment

B) Go "balls deep" provide a budget that allows us to keep our better players & add some additional quality & have a good go, knowing the championship will provide better gates, more tv revenue & make us a better prospect to sell & thus norm recover his money.

As it srands & listening to him, option A seems his likely choice & with the lack of ST sales so far i cant see much of a budget being formed.

Great result yesterday proberly supported by the lack of pressure to get a result in terms of play off chances.

However i wouldnt be getting excited about keeping our better out of contract players because as it stands i really cant see the likes of Andoh, o'Connor (who does an almost 4hr round trip) signing on reduced terms.

A) Carry out his budget cut threats, lose our better players & see us drop down the league & along with that wave goodbye to his investment

B) Go "balls deep" provide a budget that allows us to keep our better players & add some additional quality & have a good go, knowing the championship will provide better gates, more tv revenue & make us a better prospect to sell & thus norm recover his money.

As it srands & listening to him, option A seems his likely choice & with the lack of ST sales so far i cant see much of a budget being formed.

They won't have to sign on reduced terms if we reduce the squad to around 20 -22 players. We could easily get rid of nine players who have not or hardly featured and that could cover the reduced budget.

They won't have to sign on reduced terms if we reduce the squad to around 20 -22 players. We could easily get rid of nine players who have not or hardly featured and that could cover the reduced budget.

I agree with this.Plus some of the kids may be close to coming through.People keep talking about getting a 20 goal striker.Only 6 players in the 72 clubs outside the Premiership have scored 20 or more.Only 2 in League 1.

Always judge he by his actions not his words, the last 3 years he's blasted the budget, he uses reverse psychology too much to try and make people as passionate as him.

Well said that man!

Neal will also sadly be gone and I'd imagine McGivern and Moore will too, some of the bigger wages reputedly.

Well said that man!

Neal will also sadly be gone and I'd imagine McGivern and Moore will too, some of the bigger wages reputedly.

I think 2 of the 4 keepers will be gone plus Campion, Yates, Birchall Lloyd and yes maybe McGiven and a couple of others.

Although like you I don't think Smurf will reduce the budget as much as he says.

Sounded like a great performance on the radio & goals looked great on tv.

Want to say what a great job Page is doing. Look at our record last season compared to this to see the progress we're making. If we repeat the same level of progress next year, we'll be in the play offs.

Yes we've missed out this season, but taking the season purely on entertainment value, I feel like it has been a good one. Though I've only attended home games so cant speak for us away.

I thought Purkiss was motm but Grant ran him a close second. The Gills fans were very impressed with him and thought he ran the game. That's why his booking was just so aggravating. It meant he was 8 instead of 9 out of 10.
fair enough, Purkiss was one of my four contenders, the other two being Streete and Dicko.

I agree with this.Plus some of the kids may be close to coming through.People keep talking about getting a 20 goal striker.Only 6 players in the 72 clubs outside the Premiership have scored 20 or more.Only 2 in League 1.

And one of them cost a million quid.

I agree with the points made re the squad & also smurf & saying one thing doing another etc.

However dont forget Page had the opportunity to trim down last summer & bottled it. Ask yourself do you really see him being ruthless this summer.

Squad really should be 18 with a couple of good strong loanee's who genuinely add to the core starting 11.

We have far to much fat in our squad & that is down to one man who bottled what really needed doing last summer.

Archived