onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Dear Vale players

smithie

Crewe will end our home league run...........You just know it.

I think Crewe will be down by the time they come to VP.We need to concentrate on getting results against teams above us.I had a quick look at the remaining fixtures for the teams above us,other than Burton and Wigan.There's not many games where they play each other.

Advert

It took me about 3 or 4 posts to come in as to what the OP meant!:doh:

You're refering to the make up of next seasons championship!

I've said before going up would be great just for the revenue we'd generate from away followings(less policing costs of course!:rolleyes:). Even the likes of Ipswich and possibly Norwich and Sunderland would be good for 1500 surely as they are well supported clubs too!

I think we'd probably be a tad out of our depth team and quality wise over the course of a season but is it worth taking a poor season(at a higher level) as long as we didn't break the bank trying to stay up and bank the additional gate receipts revenue to make ourselves a good club back in League One the following year? Sadly looking at Yeovil it hasn't quite worked out that way for them as an example of one small side that has gone up to the Championship in recent times! An interesting debate!?

Just remind me what the score was v Burnley, and where Burnley are currently in the league. Albeit 1 game but when we get there that's down to the owner and management to sort out.Go with flow and enjoy it, it doesn't come round to often.

Well said that person!

I suppose Barnsley did in the 1990s when they went up for 1 year to the Prem? I'm not sure what gates they were getting then, more likely 12-14K a bit like Stoke were until the last few games the year they went up(then all the fans come out of the woodwork as they know there are about to go up!).

It would be very difficult to achieve what we did in the mid-late 90s again in this day and age certainly post Bosman ruling and with the size of most of the teams in there. Peterboro and Doncaster(sides I see as similar to Vale) have both been up and struggled although I think Donny had 3 or 4 seasons in mid-table before finally coming down. Colchester as well finished 8th the first year they went up so you can have some success but very hard!

I suppose Barnsley did in the 1990s when they went up for 1 year to the Prem? I'm not sure what gates they were getting then, more likely 12-14K a bit like Stoke were until the last few games the year they went up(then all the fans come out of the woodwork as they know there are about to go up!).

It would be very difficult to achieve what we did in the mid-late 90s again in this day and age certainly post Bosman ruling and with the size of most of the teams in there. Peterboro and Doncaster(sides I see as similar to Vale) have both been up and struggled although I think Donny had 3 or 4 seasons in mid-table before finally coming down. Colchester as well finished 8th the first year they went up so you can have some success but very hard!

Rotherham had the lowest average home attendance in the Championship last season with 10,240,just beating Bournemouth on 10,265.Two of the relegated clubs, Blackpool and Millwall both had gates averaging 10,000 with the other relegated club Wigan having an average 12,882.Eight Championship clubs had average gates over 20,000.

We don't need one according to Page in today's Sentinel

On the other hand, he also said...

..."But that is not taking anything away from what Theo did. Sometimes he won't get the headlines because he didn't get the goal, but some of the work he puts in and his effort and link play is brilliant."

...Did anyone else think that Theo reached the 'brilliant' standard? Or is it just me that lives on another planet?

I hope that Page was just bulling him up to keep his confidence up, so maybe we should take comments like this with a large pinch of salt. I've certainly yet to meet anyone who feels that Theo has done anything to justify a place in the starting eleven.

On the other hand, he also said...

..."But that is not taking anything away from what Theo did. Sometimes he won't get the headlines because he didn't get the goal, but some of the work he puts in and his effort and link play is brilliant."

...Did anyone else think that Theo reached the 'brilliant' standard? Or is it just me that lives on another planet?

I hope that Page was just bulling him up to keep his confidence up, so maybe we should take comments like this with a large pinch of salt. I've certainly yet to meet anyone who feels that Theo has done anything to justify a place in the starting eleven.

I really rate Rob Page and am convinced he will go on to win things.

However on this one I'm in disagreement with him. I thought he was largely woeful on Saturday and lost the ball several times. We look a lot more dangerous with JJ on, who already looks a far better prospect.

Frankly, I'm always pessimistic if a player can't cut it in Jock football because it's rubbish.

We need AJ back asap, and JJ to start ahead of Robinson.

Shame really, as I wanted to sing

"Here's to you Theo Robinson, Vale love you more than you will know, woah woah woah"!

I agree with smithie. I'd be starting with JJ too certainly on current form and input!

Robinson is a strange one as his record up until about 3 years ago was very good(with the promise of more to come at the age of 24/25). He'd scored a number of goals in the lower leagues for Hereford and Huddersfield and then also had a steady record at Derby in the Championship(albeit not outstanding but that's a tough league and Derby will have had other strikers too)

He seems to have gone down hill the last 2 or 3 seasons with only 9 goals in two years at Donny(admittedly Doncaster have been on the slide during this period so could be a confidence thing and a product of playing in a poor side?) but followed by an unproductive spell in the SPL too!

They say you don't become a bad player overnight but something certainly isn't clicking for Theo to go from a promising championship player to one who is misfiring and looking unfit in League One and he's still only 27? I hope we can play him into some fitness/form as I think build wise he has all the attributes a good striker should have.

Archived