onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Fri 25th Mar 2016, Shrewsbury v Port Vale, pre-match comments, the game itself

Advert

Got our tickets yesterday, and was not suprised after Saturday that sales have been weak compared to ther visits to Salop.

When I went in 1K had been sold, we have 500 more, so to only have that left a week before isn't bad is it?

Don't know why they didn't give us the remaining 300 (as far as I know the away end hold 1,800).

How many do you think we'll take?

Let's get behind the boys and write the Burton game off. Yes, I admit we're not good enough for the play offs but the fact remains that we're still 3 points off. Win our next 2 (which I don't think we'll do, but who knows) and we're right in it and everyone will have forgot the Burton game.

We usually take 1100 but with it been good Friday we should sell out which tells us everything u need now about Vale fans

Sorry but I disagree.

If we were struggling we'd take 400. The following at Posh was very poor.

Vale have occasional large support for local games but sorry to say we're nothing special.

I have never known us to sell out the full 1,800 allocation for Shrewsbury away.

We have traditionally always taken between 1,000-1,300 there on past visits, which is steady but pretty average considering. Saying that we have always been vocal and the two occasions I went (2-1 win and the 2-2 draw in mid-week one season), the atmosphere in the away end was excellent.

Imagine around 1,200-1,300 odd will go on Friday.

Sorry but I disagree.

If we were struggling we'd take 400. The following at Posh was very poor.

Vale have occasional large support for local games but sorry to say we're nothing special.

Spot on Smithie, other than the odd localish away game our support is nothing special, its a myth amongst some Vale fans that we are a big club and have this awesome support, fact is we dont and are miles from being a big club.

we are where we are. i love it though! UTV!

Spot on Smithie, other than the odd localish away game our support is nothing special, its a myth amongst some Vale fans that we are a big club and have this awesome support, fact is we dont and are miles from being a big club.

we are where we are. i love it though! UTV!

I don't think any Vale fan claims we're a big club, but I and many other Vale fans would claim that our away followings as a percentage of home support is excellent. Of the 13 teams we have played both home and away this season, there are only 4 that have brought more to us than we have to them, Coventry, Sheff Utd, Southend and Bradford.

We average 4803 at home, and 710 away. That gives us a % away support of 16.69%. That's the 5th highest in the league. We're capable of taking some terrible followings, 400 to Walsall (albeit on TV early kick off), but then can take over 1k 4 times in the league this season, over 2k once in the league and over 2.5k in the cup. In our promotion season we took over 700 to Gillingham and Barnet, so it's not like we can't take decent followings far distances. We took 1.4k to Bournemouth in 2010.

I agree with Family Stand Terriers I don't think anyone is claiming Vale are a big club but our away support is pretty good considering our average-poor home gates imo. 1400 to Wigan for example was excellent considering it was ****** freezing and was hailing and ****ing it down and nearly snowed on the way home!

Having said that I've always been a tad disappointed with our followings at Shrewsbury(I don't think we've broken 1300 yet at the New Meadow which for a 35 mile trip isn't great. Although there are a few mitigating circumstances 1) we've had 2(3 if you count the abandoned game) Tuesday night matches, 2) The first time(2-1 win with Richards last minute goal) we went Glover was charge and I think it was around the time people were begining to get pretty fed up to the teeth of Bratt and co and we finished 17th in League Two that season. and 3) Transport links between Stoke and Shropshire aren't the greatest by modern standards if you don't drive it's probably the shortest journey that isn't directly accessible by training. I still don't think we've dropped below 750 though which isn't too bad considering!

Another point I always think is if you compare Vale's away followings to other similar clubs in the midlands or fairly central. When was the last time Shrewsbury, Crewe, Walsall as 3 examples brought anywhere near what we have taken to them on occassions and on average to away games? Shrewsbury brought less than 600 to Vale this time. Crewe consistantly bring about 1000-1500 to Vale and we've sold out at least the last 4 games at Crewe possibly more. I can remember us selling out at Walsall once or twice too, admittedly not the last 2 or 3 times but again their followings to VP generally aren't that good either(I'm guessing they'll bring a few this time due to where they are in the league).

Archived