onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Monsieur Campion

smithie

Page played those players because he believed that they could do what was asked of them, that they could perform. He (and Adams) obviously don't have that belief in Campion. Are you saying he should play people that he doesn't think are good enough? I don't think Page's judgment needs questioning at all, he's doing just fine.

Also, name one capable player (maybe apart from Morsey) that Adams or Page have let 'rot by the wayside'. How many have been released and gone on to better things?

Burge, for one, was allowed to rot by the wayside. So were several other young players under Adams. If it hadn't been for Gannon, Morsy would't have had a look in and neither would Pope. Where Page is concerned, you have to question players like Streete (Particularly last season), Hooper, and various other loanees who didn't and have not seen the light of day.

It is rumoured that the Chairman and Manager have had disagreements on certain players which may imply many were brought in against Page's wish...but that's not the players fault. Going back to what I said, it's up to Page to motivate, and improve the whole squad. Players in Rudgie's day were seen as below adequate and he transformed them in the end. Campion has potential it just needs to be tapped into.

And by the way, I was against Williamson being sold to Gillingham. I feel he wasn't given sufficient game time and he also, like AJ, was short of confidence, just like Campion is short of confidence now. It is up to the manager to work on players that are short on confidence.

Advert

Williamson was given more than enough game time, he simply isn't good enough for this level hence why he's now on loan a division below.

Streete has cost us a few goals this season where's he's lost his man far too easily and has been a bit naive. He does however have time on his side and that part of game will come, I think Page of all people can recognise this being an International defender himself.

Looking at comments from a few different players in the past couple of weeks, it would appear they all rate Page's man management skills very highly.

Looking at comments from a few different players in the past couple of weeks, it would appear they all rate Page's man management skills very highly.

He neesd to be inclusive of the whole squad though...not just the regular clique that Page plays every week win draw or defeat. And that is the point i'm making. Strength in depth is getting the most out of every professional player. When a player fails...in reality the manager has failed.

Man-Management is measured on a player's/employees performance and morale. If these are suspect then it shows poor man management skills.

He neesd to be inclusive of the whole squad though...not just the regular clique that Page plays every week win draw or defeat. And that is the point i'm making. Strength in depth is getting the most out of every professional player. When a player fails...in reality the manager has failed.

Man-Management is measured on a player's/employees performance and morale. If these are suspect then it shows poor man management skills.

The quotes I've seen are from players who have spent a lot of time on the bench or not even in the squad, talking about how he will talk to them one to one and how well he manages those players who are out of the frame at the time.

"It's probably the best man management I have had in my career. Out of the all the managers I have had, he's right up there." - AJ

"There is one thing about this gaffer, he is a great man-manager. He is always talking to you, giving you things to work on and keeping your hopes high. I think that is why he has so many players in the dressing room wanting to play for him.

"A good relationship with your gaffer is vital. You have some who don't want to talk to you or say just do the business on the pitch. But it gives you the extra bit of confidence when you do get on and you know he backs you." - Sam Kelly

A couple of quick examples there. I'm sure McGivern has said similar also and Dodds has praised his man management recently too.

Campion himself said "I have nothing but praise for Rob Page. It is frustrating not getting in to the team but he has taken the time to discuss this with me and I understand his reasons. I am very grateful that he's given me the chance to go to Devon or Yeovil or wherever the **** it is and I hope to come back a better player."

And by the way, I was against Williamson being sold to Gillingham. I feel he wasn't given sufficient game time and he also, like AJ, was short of confidence, just like Campion is short of confidence now. It is up to the manager to work on players that are short on confidence.

Are you on crack? He played 149 times!!!!

That may be true in some cases, but it cant be true in all - unless you are saying that ALL players have the potential to make it to the top, which sadly is not true.

There are also cases where despite heroic efforts and forgiveness, cajoling and giving chance after chance, a player refuses to make the best of his talent - Gary Roberts springs to mind, MA gave him every opportunity and tried so hard but ultimately the talent was beaten by alleged self-destructive habits.

A few seasons ago we had a player on loan called Chris Cornes who impressed me greatly, but again - and I am not being judgemental here - for whatever reason, his footballing talents lost out to alleged darker forces.

I could name several other examples, and many at other clubs but the point is that the manager can often only do so much to help a player who will not, or cannot, help himself.

The quotes I've seen are from players who have spent a lot of time on the bench or not even in the squad, talking about how he will talk to them one to one and how well he manages those players who are out of the frame at the time.

"It's probably the best man management I have had in my career. Out of the all the managers I have had, he's right up there." - AJ

"There is one thing about this gaffer, he is a great man-manager. He is always talking to you, giving you things to work on and keeping your hopes high. I think that is why he has so many players in the dressing room wanting to play for him.

"A good relationship with your gaffer is vital. You have some who don't want to talk to you or say just do the business on the pitch. But it gives you the extra bit of confidence when you do get on and you know he backs you." - Sam Kelly

A couple of quick examples there. I'm sure McGivern has said similar also and Dodds has praised his man management recently too.

These are all good examples however there are examples of players not getting a look in whatsoever.

I said before that Campion potentially has some Ted McDougall characteristics. If got a few games and scored the goals he did, the rest of is game matters far less because he is goalscorer. But it looks like ALS s emerging in that role and I think he is showing he can finish. I also expect EU to get his chance again when squad rotation is needed. So he is unlikely to get games until the end of the season here and needs to go an play on loan when he can.

Burge, for one, was allowed to rot by the wayside. So were several other young players under Adams. If it hadn't been for Gannon, Morsy would't have had a look in and neither would Pope. Where Page is concerned, you have to question players like Streete (Particularly last season), Hooper, and various other loanees who didn't and have not seen the light of day.

It is rumoured that the Chairman and Manager have had disagreements on certain players which may imply many were brought in against Page's wish...but that's not the players fault. Going back to what I said, it's up to Page to motivate, and improve the whole squad. Players in Rudgie's day were seen as below adequate and he transformed them in the end. Campion has potential it just needs to be tapped into.

I'd say judging by how the likes of Duffy, McGivern and of late AJ have looked far better players this Season, then Page is actually very good at getting the best out of players.

But in the period he was with the club, he had periods (Of which there were many) where he was put on the bench

How much game time should he have had. He played most of last season and was woeful. It didn't take Gillingham long to realize it and they have now shipped him out.

Williamson played 149 times how much ****** game time do you need!!! He's shown how good he is this season, back in league 2!

Archived